No announcement yet.

Winter work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update. Mine’s due shortly so I can now keep it on the road..lovely day today, although opportunities to drive it are limited!
    S54 M Coupe
    D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Anything being planned by those without a journal?

Comment

winter work

its not very interesting but although i dont use it on wet salty roads its still getting its annual wax oil and under seal.

Comment

Originally posted by jess robson View Post
          its not very interesting but although i dont use it on wet salty roads its still getting its annual wax oil and under seal.
          Who is doing your underseal?

Comment

I've bought new OEM front shock absorbers, top mounts and all assorted components as part of an ongoing refresh. They're built and ready to go on the car and they look so good that I thought I might as well go the whole hog and do the tie rods, control arms and bushes too. Drop links were done a year or so ago.
            I now have everything except the control arms and after much reading about the various different arm and bush combinations and their effect on suspension geometry, I'll probably go for OEM as well, even though it may cost more at the outset...
            Any advice on this aspect is welcome...
            Harry Fairbairn in Kirkaldy have been very good and have pretty good prices including delivery BTW.
            While the parts are off the car I'll also look at replacing the constant pressure valve seal, as it's been leaking for a while.
            All the above contingent on my ageing back holding out!

Comment

winter work

wax oiled this weekend with the help of a friends lift and a warm garage.good old wax oil brushed on and a few spray cans for the awkward spots.word of advice ,this stuff gets everywhere i just found another blob in my ear this morning.

Comment

Mine's currently at Redish Motorsport having some work done on the inner and outer sills. Videos to come, but it really isn't pretty under there!
                '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

I've started the yearly sill of inspection and lathering it up with more waxoil
                  2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

In the past I have used waxoil but have switched to Dinitrol, they have a large product range and having read various reviews and from personal experience I think it is a much better product especially if you are using a compressor with the available attachments

Comment

Just finished fitting a new pair of engine mounts.
                      Thanks for the info on dropping the subframe a little to get the right hand mount in Dave. You forgot the bit about needing very strong narrow fingers about 8" long!! My old classic Mini had more room in the engine bay!!!
                      Also making up a couple of pairs of seat raising brackets. Bought some 20mmx50mm aluminium bar as I don't think the idea of packing washers under the front of the seat a very good idea. Dimensions will be 20mm for height & about 75 mm long with a 3.2 degree angle, will probably have to make some M8 sleeve nuts to suit.
                      Apart from that a little tidying up on the paintwork in a few places. Looking forward to getting the beasty out on the road again, whenever that will be??

Comment

Originally posted by Howm58 View Post
                        Just finished fitting a new pair of engine mounts.
                        Thanks for the info on dropping the subframe a little to get the right hand mount in Dave. You forgot the bit about needing very strong narrow fingers about 8" long!! My old classic Mini had more room in the engine bay!!!
                        Also making up a couple of pairs of seat raising brackets. Bought some 20mmx50mm aluminium bar as I don't think the idea of packing washers under the front of the seat a very good idea. Dimensions will be 20mm for height & about 75 mm long with a 3.2 degree angle, will probably have to make some M8 sleeve nuts to suit.
                        Apart from that a little tidying up on the paintwork in a few places. Looking forward to getting the beasty out on the road again, whenever that will be??

Mounts are a pain but glad the subframe trick helped

Comment

Damn its nearly winter work time again
                          Last edited by Dave P; 20-09-2021, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X