Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
    Anyway... back to the journal - the voltmeter turned up today, so popped out at lunchtime & swapped it for the problematic clock.

An aside, I bought a boot mat from Germany - also arrived today - has a roll-out flap for the tailgate - ideal for getting the dog in & out - annoying to find that it doesn't fit on the right hand side - did the Europeans not get the stowage area that side for the tyre compressor?

I am guessing but maybe the part you have been sent is for a non M coupe which doesn't have the M Mobility kit because its fitted with a space saver under the floor?

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20860

Comment

Been a long time since I looked behind the centre console; how do you remove the clock? Did you just peel the side cover back?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        Been a long time since I looked behind the centre console; how do you remove the clock? Did you just peel the side cover back?
        Radio out, heater panel unclipped and pushed back - that gives you enough to get your hands on the rear cowling but I couldn’t get enough leverage to turn it so I then went in from the side by undoing the two screws and bending the panel back slightly.

It was quite a faff so once I’d done it I did consider fitting the spare clock I bought off eBay recently but I decided the voltmeter would be more useful given I have clocks on both radio and phone already. And probably the voltmeter less likely to go wrong again in the future and have me doing the job again.
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<
        2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
        2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Another job ticked off the list - door cards done. Not sure which model these came of out of as they have a silver highlight strip down them. Easily painted black to keep them standard, but for now I quite like the silver, seems to lift the interior a little, so will leave them as-is for a while and make a decision on them in a few weeks.
          Either way, they're an improvement on the ones I removed:

In other news, went to change the OS headlamp washer only to discover the supplier has sent me the NS part instead.... Grrrr!
          ----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Looks like the doorcards are from a facelift roadster. It’s possible to swap the trim from the originals if you’re handy with a drill and a glue gun
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
              Looks like the doorcards are from a facelift roadster. It’s possible to swap the trim from the originals if you’re handy with a drill and a glue gun
              Thanks though it would be easy to paint them also.
              Having said that I’m quite liking the silver so am tempted to leave them be for the time being.
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

So I thought with "lockdown" this might have been a while coming, but I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the MC today from Munich Legends where it's been for the last week.

I have spent an eye-watering £1800 there, but it's come back with the following jobs done:

- Xenon Headlamps fitted
                - Headlamp washer nozzle replaced (other one still needs doing as part didn't arrive in time)
                - Braided clutch hose fitted & missing clutch slave cylinder securing bolt replaced
                - Propshaft rubber coupling replaced
                - Replaced radiator which had a minor leak & pressure tested
                - Thermostat & temp sensors replaced
                - OSR brake hoses & pipes replaced (MOT advisory)
                - Replaced AC & aux belts (MOT advisory)
                - Replaced & adjusted handbrake shoes (MOT advisory)
                - Throttle cable checked & adjusted
                - VANOS tested (all OK)
                - Ignition coil earth repaired
                - Wobbly passenger mirror sorted

I'll get some photos of the headlamps tomorrow in the daylight!

Decided to take advantage of the empty roads and came home across the South Downs (A272) first time I've really had the weather & confidence mechanically in the car to open it up and it was a joy to drive it back - though I'll need a few more miles before I'm confident in being able to predict what the back end is going to do!

Next jobs will be hopefully done during "lockdown" which include:
                - fitting the BMW Business CD43 radio
                - fitting the aftermarket Bluetooth kit for the above
                - getting the "ears" painted blue for the steering wheel & fitting the retrimmed wheel I've bought (alcantara trimmed with flat bottom)
                - and once the part arrives, wiring in a USB socket so I can hardwire my dashcam
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Photos of the headlamps in situ:

And some from the guy I bought them from re: the construction:

Last edited by 137699; 25-03-2020, 12:04 PM.
                  ----------------
                  David
                  1999 M Coupe (S50)
                  >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

very cool.
                    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Fitted a CD43 today. It's actually an MG branded one but the "M" sticker covers the logo & the amber illumination should hopefully match the dials better than the actual BMW red.

Will try to get a photo later when it's dark to show the illumination but already it looks so much better than the Sony unit it replaces:

Also fitted the Bluetooth module which was a bit of a mission as it required the CD changer to be physically unplugged at the changer (just not having it connected at the headunit wasn't sufficient for the BT module to work properly according to the instructions). That was a bit of a job as had to take all the plastics off around the changer to get to the plugs.

Couldn't find a guide so had to figure out myself, so dog net / tonneau out, black cover plastics off, undo the screws for the cabin plastics on the bulkhead to separate the 3 pieces, then could slide out the O/S panel and get to the DIN connector to unplug it.

Also took the opportunity to wire in a USB socket (tucked away behind the centre console)which the dashcam is now plugged into.
                      ----------------
                      David
                      1999 M Coupe (S50)
                      >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Quick revisit on the original list:

Things I have initially resolved to address:
                        - Reinstate the chrome - DONE
                        - Address the MOT advisiories - DONE
                        - Sort the non-functioning Bluetooth on the sony headunit, and look to replace with original BMW radio or something more period - DONE with original BMW unit
                        - Install an armrest - DONE
                        - Get a boot carpet so my dog doesn't mess it up too much! - DONE
                        - Install a Brodit phone holder - DONE
                        - Get a spare wheel - DONE
                        - Get the clutch hose upgrade - DONE
                        - Upgrade the headlamps to "facelift" spec & install some stronger bulbs - DONE with Xenon upgrade
                        - Repair damage to driver's side door card (or replace) - DONE
                        - Repair wobby passenger side wing mirror glass - DONE
                        - Replace the "slow" clock with a voltmeter - DONE
                        - Hard wire a dashcam - DONE

Still on the to-do list:

- Reinstate the estroil "ears" on the steering wheel
                        Actually now have a retrimmed steering wheel with blue ears on it ready to go on, but the bolts on the old wheel are chewed up so this is more of a job than original anticpated.

- Get the wheels back to silver (possibly high-gloss chrome powdercoat finish)

- Get it through bodyshop to sort beginnings of rust on sill covers & tailgate
                        Have noticed a bit of lacquer peel around the car so maybe a more substantial job needed here now - may have to wait until funds recover!

- Get some suspension upgrades sorted
                        Turns out this isn't needed as my car already has had suspension upgrades.

- Replace a missing headlamp washer nozzle
                        Have done a temporary repair on this to replace the actual jet nozzle, but the unit itself still needs to be replaced.
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Hmmm ok maybe amber wasn't a great choice after all... still it's better than the blue/white of the sony unit and looks a helluva lot better in the daylight. It'll do for not but maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a red lit version!

----------------
                          David
                          1999 M Coupe (S50)
                          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

So another job done this morning - replaced the steering wheel.
                            Not that there was anything wrong with the one fitted - it had been beautifully retrimmed by Royal Steering Wheels a few years back and remained in very good condition, but the lack of Estoril "ears" irked me.

I found this E36 wheel on ebay that had also had the Royal treatment, but also had alcantara pieces and a flat bottom which *might* take some of the bulk out of the slight oversize of the wheel itself.

I had the ears painted - dropped it in this morning - rather pleased with the outcome - though not had opportunity to road test yet - that will have to wait until I need to get more food shopping in!

Last edited by 137699; 06-04-2020, 12:19 PM.
                            ----------------
                            David
                            1999 M Coupe (S50)
                            >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Another small "upgrade" today - small but very effective - for me anyway!

I quite like to have a grab handle on the driver's side. Some cars do have them there, but most don't. Also one of the "tabs" wouldn't stay shut on mine so rather than gluing it shut, I thought I'd se if I could source a proper handle for it.

Noting that the passenger side seems to be the same as the E46 handles, I ordered one from a breaker on ebay. 5 mins to fit (getting the plastic "pegs" to locate is the hardest bit of the job - tapping in with a hammer did the trick) and for me this small mod makes a big difference to me!

----------------
                              David
                              1999 M Coupe (S50)
                              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Hi David, what did you use for the Bluetooth and what functions does it support? Calls and streaming?
                                ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X