Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension refresh- bilstein b8’s and springs - what else should I renew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension refresh- bilstein b8’s and springs - what else should I renew?

Gents,

After years of coilovers, I want to revert back to something more standard as I find the ride comfort inadequate for standard road use, which is it’s main use now

I plan to go for Bilstein B8 and intrax springs.

What other parts will I require and what else shall I renew at the same time?

Thanks
    Rags

Originally posted by Rags View Post
    Gents,

After years of coilovers, I want to revert back to something more standard as I find the ride comfort inadequate for standard road use, which is it’s main use now

I plan to go for Bilstein B8 and intrax springs.

What other parts will I require and what else shall I renew at the same time?

Thanks
    Rags

Worth changing anything original and rubber so look at the top mounts and spring pads?

Comment

If you’re looking for something more civil go for the B6’s.

I have the B8’s and they are pretty firm.

Comment

Originally posted by Big02 View Post
        If you’re looking for something more civil go for the B6’s.

I have the B8’s and they are pretty firm.
        Interesting, read the same elsewhere.

I was told that B6 and B8 are much the same except for B6 or maybe B8 is designed for stock springs and the other for lowered springs. Much the same dampening but one is physically shorter.

Koni twin tube is supposed to offer better ride quality (although I can't verify this myself)

That or the OEM sachs as another option

Comment

My understanding is also that the B6 and B8 is the same damper spec but the B6 is longer stroke for standard springs. With standard springs and more travel, the ride will be possibly better, even with the damping ratings still the same.

Comment

well everyday is a school day, hey.

I guess it’s tough to distinguish between the shocks being firm or the spring rate being firm. I’m running H&R springs.

The ride/handling were improved but bumpy roads (we don’t have them in the UK do we?) can be interesting. It’s certainly not crash yet like the wife’s old Cooper S.

If you’re located anywhere near Bournemouth you’re welcome to come for a ride.

Comment

From Bilstein site,

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/bl...nd-bilstein-b8

Comment

So if I had 10mm lowered springs it would be better to go B8?

Comment

+ where’s a good place to get them?

Comment

Originally posted by ImolaMatt View Post
                    So if I had 10mm lowered springs it would be better to go B8?
                    B6's are suitable for up to a 50mm drop according to Bilstien.
                    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                      B6's are suitable for up to a 50mm drop according to Bilstien.
                      Not based on what they told me a few months ago. B6 work with up to 20 - 30 drop, beyond that b8’s should be used. Had quite a few exchanges with them over mail.
                      S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                        Not based on what they told me a few months ago. B6 work with up to 20 - 30 drop, beyond that b8’s should be used. Had quite a few exchanges with them over mail.
                        I have to agree with Seca Blue here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                          Worth changing anything original and rubber so look at the top mounts and spring pads?
                          Thanks Dave.

So to confirm I have the following on order:

Bilstein B8
                          Intrax Springs
                          Front top mounts (may need yours Dave!)
                          Rear top mounts

I need to order the following:

Spring pads - Dave do you have the part numbers for these ?
                          Drop links - will I need these as I am taking off a set of BC coilovers and I remember when I had KW’s we fitted new shorter drop links....

Thanks
                          Rags

Comment

I have. A20mm drop so gone with B8s

Should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                              That's strange, when I was investigating I was sure that the B6's were good for up to a 50mm drop - and now I can't find where I saw that.... Apologies if I've given duff info.
                              2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X