S50 vanos question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S50 vanos question

Has anyone had a S50 vanos blow at anytime after fitting the uprated bolts? I am interested to see if the bolts cure the problem 100%.

Originally posted by dave p View Post
    Has anyone had a S50 vanos blow at anytime after fitting the uprated bolts? I am interested to see if the bolts cure the problem 100%.
    i dont think the bolts are the only problem, i think some vanos have problems with the actual seals, solenoids and gears.

changing the bolts and seals is a cheap + easy preventative measure, but not the ultimate "stop your vanos spurting everywhere" tactic.

Click here to email me

Comment

I've got a question too. If the vanos has been replaced by BMW is it still liable to fail or have the replacements addressed the problems?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyb View Post
        I've got a question too. If the vanos has been replaced by BMW is it still liable to fail or have the replacements addressed the problems?
        i think BMW just replace the unit with a brand new one, which would still have the usual failing parts, just have a new lease of life, so will last longer than the old one that was removed? prob only a matter of time before things go wrong with them again

ive had an M3 evo before, that had 4 replacement vanos' under warranty!!!

anyway im no expert, but this is from my own experience/s

Click here to email me

Comment

I thought that might be the case, better get some bolts and a filter ordered...

Comment

The filter can be cleaned by soaking in petrol...altho they are not that expensive...

Comment

I'll just drag this old thread back to the top as I've commented in it before rather than start a new one.

So I've been to Silverstone today which is around 100 miles each way so obviously the car was nice and hot when I got home. As I drove into the garage I could hear an irregular knocking noise coming from the engine

I popped the bonnet and at first thought it was the alternator bearings that had worn but couldn't quite locate the noise. I then got really close to the front of the engine and it seems to be coming from the vanos as I could feel it knocking in time to the noise when I placed my hand on the front of the vanos.

Any ideas. The noise is pretty irregular and knocks maybe once every four or five seconds with sometimes a gap before it does it again. The engine seems to be running fine with no idle problems.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyb View Post
                I'll just drag this old thread back to the top as I've commented in it before rather than start a new one.

So I've been to Silverstone today which is around 100 miles each way so obviously the car was nice and hot when I got home. As I drove into the garage I could hear an irregular knocking noise coming from the engine

I popped the bonnet and at first thought it was the alternator bearings that had worn but couldn't quite locate the noise. I then got really close to the front of the engine and it seems to be coming from the vanos as I could feel it knocking in time to the noise when I placed my hand on the front of the vanos.

Any ideas. The noise is pretty irregular and knocks maybe once every four or five seconds with sometimes a gap before it does it again. The engine seems to be running fine with no idle problems.

description sounds like mine did?

www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10534

Click here to email me

Comment

Difficult to tell but is yours knocking in time to the engine speed and with quite a regular rhythm? Mine seems quite random and knocks every few seconds with no pattern to the noise (at least that I've noticed).

I need to investigate further, raise the revs and diferent engine temperatures as I was only listening to it at idle with a hot engine after two hours on the motorway. I can definately feel the knocking through the vanos housing though.

Comment

I had my vanos replaced by Steve @Mr vanos using uprated seals,even then there was still a problemas one pair was not working properly..caused by a tiny bit of swath being trapped..just make sure it is the Vanos! and not something else Noises travel!

Comment

I've just started the car from cold and the vanos is silent so I'm thinking hot thin oil leaking past the seals possibly? Can't hurt to fit the updated seals and bolts anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X