Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience on mqp:
    * fronts avon 225 - pretty crappy
    * rears F1 asym. 245 - very good, better than expected (better than gsd3 if u ask me).. would buy them again for grip tire
    * fronts Pirello Pzero nero 215 - also very good, especially good for the downsized dimension
    * fronts Pirelli Pzero rosso 225 - bought them because neros weren't available, havent mounted them yet. i think they came stock on some ferraris, so they shouldn't be too bad :)

From my experience on previous cars, I highly rate Bridgestones (s02, s03 - not re050 RFT), Pirellis , and I dont rate Dunlops.

Comment

Anyone have views on Barum tyres?

Torn between Barum, Falken and Kumho at the moment, reading this thread has convinced me to avoid Continental? Some good prices for these on eBay, Cam,skill for the others.

Or my local tyre place in west End, near Woking (Martins) do great prices.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyZ3C View Post
        Anyone have views on Barum tyres?
        I had six months with a set of Barum bravuris tyres all round. I suppose I couldn't fault them. Good in the wet / dry, but TBH I never pushed the car that much.

I have since a re-furbed set of rims and decided to put Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's all round and up the rears to 255. Now, they have without doubt more grip, but the car tends to tramline somewhat after fitting them. Those in the know - is this a 'trait' of the tyre (i.e. tread pattern etc) or becuase of the size increase on the rear?

It was very noticable when I blasted down to Spain earlier this year.. Fast sweeping curves were terrifying.. felt like driving a supercharged rollerskate! very skittish indeed

I know its mentioned on hear alot.. but maybe its the suspension that needs looking at (standard at the moment)

any ideas?
        cheers
        2000, S50 Titanium Silver, ACS gearnob, handbrake, shortshift, Essienman exhaust, Carbon airbox.

Comment

Its all down to personal choice, personally for the road side of driving i will not touch anything other than Michelin pilot sports.

I had Conti's on my 3 series when i got it and they are an awful awful tyre, no feedback, shocking wet weather grip, Michelins are by far the best tyres you can buy imo. The only down side is they are the most expensive tyre you can buy, but when it comes to the thing that keeps you on the road i think its worth paying that little extra.

Comment

Ive been doing a bit of shopping around for a new set of ps2's for the fronts, but you cannot get them anymore as they have been superseded by the ps3's. So i think i will just get a complete set of ps3's so they all match. I hope these are just as good if not better then the ps2's? Has anyone used them yet?

As i will be replacing all four i may sell my ps2 rears which have about 5mm tread left. Would anyone be interested in buying these from me?

Comment

Ummed and ahhed about this for a week or so and ordered some ps3 all round. Current PS2 set are Rears on tread markers and fronts with only a mm to go before they're the same so changed the lot

ALS in Farnborough will do the lot for £512 Inc balance and disposal etc.
              ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
              now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

Tyres seem to generate such wide differences of opinion and folklore. I even read today someone saying how Goodyear F1 GSD3s were the worst tyre he had tried and yet they seem to generate the most positive comments from others. I also heard someone say Contis were noisy, but from my own experience on two different cars I can tell you they are not.

You pays your money and you takes your choice eh!

Si.
                Last edited by siwilson; 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Yadi View Post
                  Ummed and ahhed about this for a week or so and ordered some ps3 all round. Current PS2 set are Rears on tread markers and fronts with only a mm to go before they're the same so changed the lot

ALS in Farnborough will do the lot for £512 Inc balance and disposal etc.
                  That a good price, the cheapest i can get them from around my way is £596 fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post
                    That a good price, the cheapest i can get them from around my way is £596 fitted.
                    Yep. I even phoned him back after comparing elsewhere to make sure I'd communicated correct sizes. He's having to order them in from two different locations for me. No web presence for the place as such - just a local outfitthat was recommended by a local mechanic.
                    ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
                    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

Final bill all in £502.40. Result

Comment

just put 4 toyo t1r`s on mine today in 18" £505.27 all in
                        inc vat and disposal obviously i had my own valves

well chuffed
                        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

strange bunch

just thought about it

were a strange bunch how many other people do you know, at work say would be "chuffed" to spend £500 on tyres
                          [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

I entirely agree with those that have said that tyre choice is very personal, but I thought I'd share my tyre history on the M Coupe:

I bought the car with Vredestein Ultracs all round. They were OK, but I didn't have anything to compare against at the time.

When the rears were shot, I replaced them with Michelin PS2s leaving the Ultracs on the front as they had about 5mm of tread. My god, the grip from the PS2s was incredible, especially on a dry road. I had a few scary moments in the wet when the tread was down to about 3mm, one in particular on a straight dual carriageway!

When the PS2s went after about 8000 miles, Vredestein had just brought out the Ultrac Sessanta. I managed to pick up 2No 245/40/17 for £81 each from Camskill. The Ultracs on the front had hardly worned and still had 4mm of tread. The Sessantas were a very good tyre, and their performance in the wet was impressive. Not as good as the PS2 in the dry, but a very good all round tyre.

When the Ultracs Sessantas needed replacing, after about 8000 miles (you can see a pattern emerging), I wanted to replace all 4 tyres as the fronts had been on for at least 2.5 years and were down to about 3mm, but the Sessantas seem to have gone up markedly in price. The best quote I got was for £470 all in, which having paid £190 for rears and fitting only 9 months previously, I was relunctant to pay.

So I've now got Falken 452s all round, but have gone to 255/40/17 on the rears.

I've also just had new sub-frame bushes and new track rod arms which were MOT advisorys. The alignment was sorted at the same time. I'm running standard suspension and anti-roll bars, but the car seems to be giving so much more feedback from the road, its incredible.

I've not put the Falkens through their paces yet but I'm planning a spirited drive to north Wales in the next few months so I should get a good idea of what they can do. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                              just thought about it

were a strange bunch how many other people do you know, at work say would be "chuffed" to spend £500 on tyres
                              Anyone who went out expecting to spend £600 plus might be chuffed at spending £500.

It's all relative :)

Comment

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics here

Haven't got much to compare them to as I changed the tyres very soon after buying the car when the wheels were refurbed, but I like them. Good dry and wet grip, and as someone who has written a car off following a massive high speed aquaplaning episode I get a bit nervous in the wet these days
                                www.tracking-shot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X