Spark Plug - or lack of them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug - or lack of them

I appreciate the easy answer will be 'drive it more' but any help on this problem would be great.

I don't regularly get the car out but when I do it has a lovely habit of blowing (well just stops working) a spark plug. I change it and it's fine. Next time out another (different) plug goes...

Not all the time but more regularly than just coincidence.

Does it just need more using or is there something else that might cause the problem?
    2000 Dakar Yellow

I cant see it being lack of use as many coupes/BMW's don't get driven much and cant say I have heard of the problem before relating to a MC ?

which spark plugs are you using?
    Last edited by Dave P; 06-06-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
      I cant see it being lack of use as many coupes/BMW's don't get driven much and cant say I have heard of the problem before relating to a MC ?

which spark plugs are you using?
      Denso which I think could be the problem (forgot to spec them at the service). Swapping out to NKG so might just be a case of the old ones dying. Should probably do all at one - another leasson learnt!
      2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Seems strange.

Bad batch of plugs? or they are the wrong heat range?

Plugs can be "read" some good picture charts online can allow you to inspect the plug and try and tell what's going on.

A fresh set to the correct set and it should be fit and forget for some time.

However, it's a bit of a minefield buying plugs like most parts nowdays, put it into ebay and the prices for the same plug vary wildy, maybe some are a bit shooky... Order from a trusted supplier like Opie Oils maybe or of course BMW if you want the tax.

I used to have an Audi quattro running 28 PSI of boost, was so worried about one of the spark plugs totalling the engine by breaking up!!! Most of us have seen some horror pics online of this sort of thing :)

Comment

Gone for these: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-64127-n...lectrodes.aspx
          2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Think they are a stock plugs, NGK often regarded as the best, so should be fine.

Comment

BMW supply NGK as standard equipment for the S50B32 , about £13.00 last time I bought from dealers

Last edited by Dave P; 08-06-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Perfect, thanks
                2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Working...
                X