X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lee

read this its quite funny

http://www.e36coupe.co.uk/forum/view...cooler&start=0

I looked into an SC but I could not find anywhere I would trust to do it and also would it change the charachteritics of the car too much?

to much money for possible problems for me.
    I see what you mean!
    Then: S50 Estoril Blue.
    Now: Audi B5 S4 Avant

Comment

Blimey, so many experts in the e36coupe thread!

Comment

Most of the kits available are designed for the US Spec engines which are different to ours. Remember that the yanks don't have plentiful supply to higher octane fuel like we do either. I saw a 328i that had the Regal treatment at Bexleys. Why was it there? Because it had not been mapped properly and the Bexleys had to sort it out. The torque was coming in in one large dollop at the begining of the rev range and then disappearing.

I will see if I can get the dyno plot. It was quite funny. The guy had paid a couple of grand for the job and was told that his car was set up perfectly when it was far from it.

If you want to go the forced induction route I think you would have to go to ze Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
          Most of the kits available are designed for the US Spec engines which are different to ours. Remember that the yanks don't have plentiful supply to higher octane fuel like we do either.
          I think the US get pretty similar octane to us their 91RON is about the same as our 98RON. They get pretty much the same engines as everywhere else these days, the S54 being a prime example which needs 98RON, and the jap turbo scene over there is probably bigger than the UK.

Some modern turbo engines use quite high compression engines compared to "old-school" turbo engines (people were mentioning 80s engines like the Cosworth, Renault 5 turbo etc in that trhead) with less sophisticated engine management which also meant they drove poorly off-boost. I think the VAG 1.8T is about 9.5:1 which some N/A engines are. I think as long as there is an intercooler fitted and a proper management system fitted to prevent knock it might work ok. But then the S50 engine is pretty high compression to start off with!

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
            Most of the kits available are designed for the US Spec engines which are different to ours. Remember that the yanks don't have plentiful supply to higher octane fuel like we do either. I saw a 328i that had the Regal treatment at Bexleys. Why was it there? Because it had not been mapped properly and the Bexleys had to sort it out. The torque was coming in in one large dollop at the begining of the rev range and then disappearing.

I will see if I can get the dyno plot. It was quite funny. The guy had paid a couple of grand for the job and was told that his car was set up perfectly when it was far from it.

If you want to go the forced induction route I think you would have to go to ze Germans.
            I think Maahny is actually being a little polite and not telling the serious extent of the problems!

The way this car drove was just commical. No power at all with server over fuelling upto around 4000rpm and then...BANG! Loads of power. The car was running what seemed to be a standard map witha supercharger bolted on.

As for Supercharging the ZM, I personally think it's not such a bad idea. The s50/s54 lacks low end torque and a good SC conversion would really fill out the torque curve nicely making this light'ish car accelerate very very well.

The problem with SC'ing in the UK is that no one company offers a complete solution. You have those who just sell you the kit with shitty software or rising rate FPR's and expect it to run perfectly!

I think Maahny's car may get the treatment in the near future.

Sal
            E34 M5 3.8
            6 speed
            345mm Discs & 4 Pot calipers
            was 347.9 BHP....dunno now but it is faster.

Why didn't BMW use my engine in the ZM instead!

Comment

and about a compressor?

I agree with Lee about pushing a atmosferic engine with art and not with compressed methods, but in the case of something radical, isn't a compressor a safer mod compared to a turbocharge?

Comment

I have yet to see a 400 bhp S50 engine.

There have been a few S50 in Bexleys with Carbon air box, cams, stand alone management etc etc. The max most people have realistically have got is 360bhp. Shit to drive on the road though.

I'm sure 400 bhp could well be achieved but at the expense of huge low end torque loss and driveability. Most of the power would be above 5000rpm. You also have the question of reliability.

It would be cheaper to throw in an S38 engine and lightly tune that. More torque and more power.

If a big heavy bus of an E34 can keep up with a ZM then imagine what an S38 would do in a ZM!

An S38 with Schrick's gives a reliable 355+ bhp.

This is if you want to stay NA.

A supercharged is really the cheapest way of achieving 400+ bhp and having huge torque to match throughout the rev range.

How long will the engine last though??
                E34 M5 3.8
                6 speed
                345mm Discs & 4 Pot calipers
                was 347.9 BHP....dunno now but it is faster.

Why didn't BMW use my engine in the ZM instead!

Comment

Working...
                X