Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupť.com Forums > General Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 23-04-2020, 01:47 PM
urquattrogus urquattrogus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 373
Default

For those that are interested, I had a brief chat with Nitron on the phone.

They can do a true coilover setup for the rear, but for the road recommend retaining separate dampers and springs for the rear. They would order the rear springs from Eibach to their spec.

For a road and opposed to track biased setup they said they would fit 60nm springs to the front.

There is at least one MCoupe that has been fitted with Nitrons, it even featured in a magazine article about Nitron...

Tempting, but overkill and overspend I think maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Dave P's Avatar
Dave P Dave P is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 27,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquattrogus View Post
For those that are interested, I had a brief chat with Nitron on the phone.

They can do a true coilover setup for the rear, but for the road recommend retaining separate dampers and springs for the rear. They would order the rear springs from Eibach to their spec.

For a road and opposed to track biased setup they said they would fit 60nm springs to the front.

There is at least one MCoupe that has been fitted with Nitrons, it even featured in a magazine article about Nitron...

Tempting, but overkill and overspend I think maybe.


This Coupe maybe,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...ghlight=nitron
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-04-2020, 03:27 PM
urquattrogus urquattrogus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 373
Default

I think I've decided upon the following:

Bilstein B6 Shocks with Standard Springs
H&R Anti Roll Bars (which I already have)

I can buy a full set of Billies from Larkspeed for £640 which seems like a superb price, I've triple checked the part numbers to make sure they are the right ones.

Then all new OEM bushes from BMW.

I was about to go for the Sachs OEM dampners but £425 just for the two rear shocks seems a but crazy! The fronts are £262 each or £524 for a set which seems more reasonable.

After 90k Miles the dampers must be pretty past their best? They feel OK but I'm sure a refresh will be worth it...

Last edited by urquattrogus; 25-04-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Seca Blue's Avatar
Seca Blue Seca Blue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,964
Send a message via MSN to Seca Blue
Default

Thatís what I have and Iím perfectly happy with the ride.
I havenít fitted the arbís yet - only been in garage for 3years as Iíve not felt the need yet.
My only issue with the set up is itís just a smidge too high imo. Iíd be happy with a 15-20 mm drop which Bilstein confirmed would be fine with the B6ís in case you ever feel the same.
__________________
S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25-04-2020, 06:46 PM
urquattrogus urquattrogus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seca Blue View Post
Thatís what I have and Iím perfectly happy with the ride.
I havenít fitted the arbís yet - only been in garage for 3years as Iíve not felt the need yet.
My only issue with the set up is itís just a smidge too high imo. Iíd be happy with a 15-20 mm drop which Bilstein confirmed would be fine with the B6ís in case you ever feel the same.
Hmm yes maybe springs that are fractionally lower would be the goldilocks version!

Struggling to see where I can get Rogue rear top mounts so think I'm going to fling on some OEM ones.

Another thing that made me choke a bit was that a rear Diff bushing is £200 from BMW! Haven't ordered yet but that seems pretty over the top!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26-04-2020, 10:39 AM
Fat Tony Fat Tony is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leeds(ish)
Posts: 2,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquattrogus View Post
Hmm yes maybe springs that are fractionally lower would be the goldilocks version!

Struggling to see where I can get Rogue rear top mounts so think I'm going to fling on some OEM ones.

Another thing that made me choke a bit was that a rear Diff bushing is £200 from BMW! Haven't ordered yet but that seems pretty over the top!
Maybe we could try for a group buy on the diff mounting bush. I suspect itís an item that several of us would be interested in - mineís seen better days for sure
__________________
Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 26-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Hatter Hatter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 198
Default

I've been following this with interest as I'm currently involved in a complete refresh of the underneath of my car, including suspension. My criteria was for a fast road setup and an occasional track day, but I do want a small height reduction of about 20mm as well.

I was originally looking at KW V3's or Bilstein PSS10's (which I have on my 993 and absolutely love). However, after thinking about it for a while, I thought both those options might be bit of an overkill. Not to mention, expensive. Although I haven't discounted them entirely, I am leaning towards more basic height adjustable coilovers, or standard dampers with lowering springs. Just a bit concerned about ride quality if going down the lowering springs route.

Lots of great info on this thread, but nobody seems to have mentioned KW V2's as a quality coilover without the cost of full adjustability? Any thoughts?
__________________
2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Hatter Hatter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Maybe we could try for a group buy on the diff mounting bush. I suspect itís an item that several of us would be interested in - mineís seen better days for sure
I'd be up for that
__________________
2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26-04-2020, 04:44 PM
maph maph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 277
Default

I am running H&R springs with the B8s (and the H&R arbs) and the ride is still really good IMO, certainly compared to a more modern sports car. It is not too low either, has better ground clearance that either of my other two cars. Biggest improvement for me was removing the lift and dive under acceleration and braking but overall it is very planted. My OEM shocks were removed at around 50K miles so may have been past their best anyway.

__________________
S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26-04-2020, 06:40 PM
Hatter Hatter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 198
Default

Are H&R springs a 30mm drop?
__________________
2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.