Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > General Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesduncan View Post
After a bit of advice. Getting the MC back from the garage on Monday and will keep it off the road for a month or so. I have a NOCO Genius G3500 already which seems to indicate that it will trickle charge. Should I keep the car battery connected and run the G3500 to the terminals under the bonnet? Never uses a trickle charger before.....

I find it easier to connect to the terminals under the bonnet than messing around in the boot and having to remove the trim and boot tray, any cables can be run down and out of the wheel arch so the bonnet can still be closed.

Good thing about leaving the battery connected is you wont have any potential issues with radio codes and the car is still alarmed.
Old 31-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Thanks. Makes sense to keep the battery connected, plus I will be taking it out here and there so don't want to faff around in the boot each time.

Everything I have read suggests the G3500 can maintain the battery (only supplying voltage when the battery voltage drops) but perhaps I need a dedicated trickle charger? What do others use?

James
Old 31-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesduncan View Post
Thanks. Makes sense to keep the battery connected, plus I will be taking it out here and there so don't want to faff around in the boot each time.

Everything I have read suggests the G3500 can maintain the battery (only supplying voltage when the battery voltage drops) but perhaps I need a dedicated trickle charger? What do others use?

James

I have a BMW branded C Tek
Old 31-01-2021, 10:01 PM

I get what you’re saying about the alarm but it takes me less than a minute to reconnect the battery in order to take the car out - and another 30 seconds to enter the radio code!

It really is no faff whatsoever - certainly less faff than having to rig up a charger!
>>Read my journal here<<
2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
2008 Ford Ka Zetec
2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
Old 31-01-2021, 11:43 PM

I have also used a C TEK for some years now during the winter months. Get the adapter so you can plug it into the cigarette lighter . If you allow the charge to drop on lead acid batteries you run the risk of sulphation between the plates.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:35 AM

Another vote for the CTEK - mine even survived me reversing out of the garage with it still connected... *Ahem*. I just connect it under the bonnets and as others have suggested run it down the wheel arch and out.

The only issue I have had is when I have forgotten to connect it and let the battery run too low - it won't start charging if it doesn't detect a battery. You can sometimes "trick" it by getting it going with another car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzoe View Post
Get the adapter so you can plug it into the cigarette lighter .
I hadn't spotted that! Presumably it only works if the socket is always live? Does the socket in the M Coupe not switch off with the ignition?
Old 01-02-2021, 11:00 PM

As standard the socket is permanent live.
I had mine rewired to a switched live feed so that I can leave my TPMS system plugged in without it rinsing the battery.
>>Read my journal here<<
2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
2008 Ford Ka Zetec
2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
Old 02-02-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
As standard the socket is permanent live.
I had mine rewired to a switched live feed so that I can leave my TPMS system plugged in without it rinsing the battery.
Handy. Must get the cigarette socket adapter for mine then - would be much more convenient!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:52 PM

I use a NOCO charger. I got some terminals so that I have the cables permanently connected to the battery, with a lingish wire that goes into the boot. If I need to charge it / trickle, I open the boot, pull out the wire, close the boot and lock the car. I can then connect the charger to the cable.

It's a really neat solution

Tags
trickle charger