Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > General Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM

Sounds like a right nightmare, but in my opinion its so long ago and has probably changed hands so many times it would prove problematic to sort out. also if you didnt really do much because you moved to china for 5 years, it makes it even more difficult to sort.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:58 PM

This is really unfortuntate - it's a tough one as you should really have pursued it back at the time, although you probably have a legitimate claim to it still.

I just hope it's not mine, selfishly!!
Old 02-02-2021, 08:39 PM

Sad state of affairs and my heart skipped a beat for a second - me and Martin have been chatting!
Based upon that other link, looks like it’s another coupe.
I suggest you get legal advice but it’s going to be a very difficult situation to resolve for all parties.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:40 PM

Pretty difficult one to sort out, a bit of a mine field in fact. From what you have stated so far in your original post there is no mention of an insurance company paying out. So was the car not insured at the time with it being on SORN, left outside in carpark ready for repair. Was there no supporting paperwork, i.e. copy of V5 with your name on it, MOT certs, service book, maintenance bills, invoice from the owner you purchased it from etc in your possession. Did you ever change ownership from who you bought the car from so that you are on the list of previous owners? Have you still got any of this stuff?
Back then what was the car worth? I purchased my car in pretty good nick in 2012 for £10500 so it sounds as though yours might have been worth a bit less. So if you didn't get insurance pay out I take it you just wrote off the value it might have been worth. As already mentioned you should have pursed this further at the time.
Definitely think legal advice is required as it looks as though the police back in 2013 didn't think there was sufficient evidence to show that you were the actual owner.
I can't offer much more in the way of advice, only the things I've mentioned above would be questions I would have though a legal person would want to know if they thought there was a way forward.

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior.

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black
interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior.
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina

Old 12-02-2021, 08:43 PM

Hi there apologies for the delay. In response I showed the police my Keys and a huge file of all my receipts and the all important bill of sale for when I purchased it. I had the V5 and my Sorn documents and was shocked the police felt no crime had been committed.

It was not insured.

Now taking legal advice and will let you know.

Thanks for
Old 14-02-2021, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Dear all.

I believe this may actually be my car, and this is all very upsetting.

I have spoken to the police and taken legal advice, and have been advised I have done nothing wrong and I'm the rightnfull legal owner and keeper of the car.

Furthermore, the car has never been registered stolen on any of the HPI, Dealer, Police or Insurance registers.

Last edited by jonnysideways; 14-02-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 14-02-2021, 10:00 PM
Administrator

For the sake of clarity as everyone on the forum may be of the impression I have bought a stolen car, please see a note from the previous owner.

"I bought the car in 2014 from a car-valetor based in Knutsford, Cheshire, who told me that he had bought it, as a trader, from a chap in London.

As there was limited-service history, I wrote to the previous owner in London and asked if he had any details, but none were forthcoming.

I then wrote to the owner before him and subsequently, he rang me to say that he was still the rightful owner and demanded a return of the vehicle to him.

The story that he gave me was that about 3 years earlier he had fallen on hard times and had parked the car in an industrial compound. Sometime after, he had a call from a friend who had seen the car loaded onto a transporter and driven away.

I said to him that surely after all this time you have claimed on the insurance if the police had not been able to find the car.

He said that the car was not insured at the time and the police were "a waste of time".

I then went to my local police station, which is Longton in Stoke-on-Trent, told them the story and they did a search of their records.

The officer informed me that the vehicle had never been classed as stolen and as far as they were concerned the car was rightfully mine.

I rang the man back to tell him my findings and that if he still had the spare key and the full-service history, then I was prepared to buy them from him.

He said that he was going to China the following week to work and he would have to think about the situation.

That was 6 years ago and I have not heard from him since"

Now everyone knows as much as me. kind regards. A sad Z3M Owner.

Last edited by jonnysideways; 14-02-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysideways View Post
For the sake of clarity as everyone on the forum may be of the impression I have bought a stolen car, please see a note from the previous owner.

"I bought the car in 2014 from a car-valetor based in Knutsford, Cheshire, who told me that he had bought it, as a trader, from a chap in London.

As there was limited-service history, I wrote to the previous owner in London and asked if he had any details, but none were forthcoming.

I then wrote to the owner before him and subsequently, he rang me to say that he was still the rightful owner and demanded a return of the vehicle to him.

The story that he gave me was that about 3 years earlier he had fallen on hard times and had parked the car in an industrial compound. Sometime after, he had a call from a friend who had seen the car loaded onto a transporter and driven away.

I said to him that surely after all this time you have claimed on the insurance if the police had not been able to find the car.

He said that the car was not insured at the time and the police were "a waste of time".

I then went to my local police station, which is Longton in Stoke-on-Trent, told them the story and they did a search of their records.

The officer informed me that the vehicle had never been classed as stolen and as far as they were concerned the car was rightfully mine.

I rang the man back to tell him my findings and that if he still had the spare key and the full-service history, then I was prepared to buy them from him.

He said that he was going to China the following week to work and he would have to think about the situation.

That was 6 years ago and I have not heard from him since"

Now everyone knows as much as me. kind regards. A sad Z3M Owner.
Feel sorry for you, but at the end of the day the cars not on any register for being stolen, the police say it’s not stolen and the person who said it was stolen off them went to China for 6 years.
Personally I wouldn’t worry a thing about it
Old 15-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigt3 View Post
Feel sorry for you, but at the end of the day the cars not on any register for being stolen, the police say it’s not stolen and the person who said it was stolen off them went to China for 6 years.
Personally I wouldn’t worry a thing about it
Yup, and I don’t think anybody in the forum was thinking you’d knowingly bought a stolen car. All seems like a very weird set of circumstances. Given what you’ve been told and the amount of work you’ve invested in the car I reckon you need to try to focus on enjoying it, trying to keep all this stuff out of mind

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace
Old 15-02-2021, 01:06 PM
Administrator

cheers

John