Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension: H&R + Bilstein Not Low Enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension: H&R + Bilstein Not Low Enough?

Hi All,

I am running H&R 29520 (30mm) front and rear, as well as Bilstein B6 all round.

From the pictures below, the car just does not sit low enough.

I have seen other M Coupes with the same setup and are sitting much lower.

I dont have any extra thickness in the spring pads, could it be the fact that I have Bilstein B6 instead of B8? Bilstein Aus told me that there should be no difference in the ride height due to this fact (same shock with longer rod) but what else could it be??

The setup also feels far too soft IMO... Help before I lash out on KW v3's!

Last edited by xsamsonx; 07-11-2012, 03:53 AM.

It doesn't look that new so should have settled by now. You're right the dampers in this case won't alter the height, the only difference is there is a slight chance they may bottom out sooner than the shorter dampers.

I'd say the height is quite good in a not too low way!

I've had H&R rear springs on mine for a while the rideheight was "better" than other lowering springs as most do sit too low at the back IMO. They are similar to ACS I'd say.

I agree the springs and damper aftermarket stuff like this is not stiff enough, it's mainly the springs are just not rated high enough, though the Bilstein dampers, particularly the rear, are not very stiff either. The H&R springs usually incorporate rising rate using coilbinding by design (can be seen on the rear easily).

H&R roll bars, if not already fitted will transform the car retaining a reasonable ride - I honestly recommend this as an upgrade you will not believe the change.

However, this is from PaulM3s journal running H&Rs which sits quite low!;
    Last edited by c_w; 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I am running H&R 30mm springs and what look like 3 or 5mm pads, on standard shocks at the mo. it's always sat like that from the day they were installed.
      They gap between the arch and top of each wheel you can get your finger in at a slight angle if you know what I mean.
      ///Made for sideways action

Comment

I was hoping to stiffen the suspension to avoid the requirement for Arb's... I'm guessing this isn't quite the same? (I do have far too much body roll currently)

I quite like the ride height of yours Paul - how can there be such a big difference with the same springs?!
        Last edited by xsamsonx; 11-11-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I actually like the ride height, and as long as the ride comfort is not compromised I'd be interested in this setup. If you decide to go the coilover route let me know, you may have a buyer already, though you're a bit far so I'm not sure if I'd be better off buying a new set States-side?
          '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black S52 M-Coupe

Comment

Hi All

Would anyone be able to shed any further light on this strange difference in the stance between the cars on this thread?

I need to replace a spring and shock and given OEM prices coupled with improving the balance I was going to down the Bilstein route and aftermarket (in this case H&R) springs.

The issue is I really don't want to go as low as the silver one in this thread and probably the original posters setup looks good but I'm concerned that if I go with the H&R springs it will end up looking like the silver one. A friend that I know from the forum also has H&R and from memory his looks ok, he has B8's on the front and spax adjustables at the rear.

Also saw some pics on ZRoadster that have H&R and looked too low for me as well. The one common factor in both of them was that they have the H&R springs with the OEM shocks but I didn't think the dampers would have any impact on the height?

There doesn't seem to be a great price difference between B6 and B8 so assume probably better to use B8 although Bilstein state B6 is fine for lowering up to 40mm?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Comment

i have bilstein b8 all round and intrax springs 30 mm lower. i found this to low as front wheels were rubbing on turns.i raised front and rear 15 mm with rear top mount pads from germany and made some front ones from some 15 mm wheel spacers,works a treat.i run 18 alloys and 25 mm wheel spacers all round which could have exaggerated problem but because of a.p.six pots 25 mm was needed to clear inside of alloys.i have seen many that sit to low and would not be practical for many of roads in my area.

Comment

Working...
              X