No announcement yet.

Hotter than normal oil temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's the temperature sensor or the gauge Dave?
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Over here a hot day it's to 45-50degC and the aircon struggles but the temps are ok an hour drive down to Abu Dhabi
      BMW e21 track car
      Z3M (S62)
      2.8 Z3 Coupe
      Ariel Atom
      GT86 race car
      Ferrari 348 Challenge
      Merc G500

Comment

Mine is usually around 100-110. In in a hotter country, with 30 plus Celsius.

What water temps do you see?

I get middle, with sometimes crawl to the upper normal limit, then back. Faster if I turn ac off

Zionsville radiator, electric fan fyi

Comment

Originally posted by DrSasha View Post
          Mine is usually around 100-110. In in a hotter country, with 30 plus Celsius.

What water temps do you see?

I get middle, with sometimes crawl to the upper normal limit, then back. Faster if I turn ac off

Zionsville radiator, electric fan fyi
          water temp is just before middle but never moves when warmed up

Comment

Have you changed oil or anything, Dave?
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
              Have you changed oil or anything, Dave?
              No nothing that should effect oil temperature

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                No nothing that should effect oil temperature
                Could it be that you're actually driving it for a change mate?

(only jealous of the immaculate condition of yours!)
                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                  Could it be that you're actually driving it for a change mate?

(only jealous of the immaculate condition of yours!)
                  No not driving anymore than last few years but just strange the oil temp has gone up by about 10 degrees but I have replaced a couple of sensors so will update soon

Comment

Had a look at the ductwork and oil cooler today and one side of the cooler is fairly blocked with green dye from a air con leak which could be causing a lack of cooling?

I have a new oem oil cooler so may fit this and see if this makes any difference. Has anyone replaced their oil cooler if so is it straight forward?

Comment

What are temps like with the aircon on driving round? I find mine runs slightly cooler temps due to the aircon fan being on.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        What are temps like with the aircon on driving round? I find mine runs slightly cooler temps due to the aircon fan being on.
                        No real difference with air con on

Comment

Tested coupe after fitting new oil cooler and sensors but still hot - goes up to about 110 then drops down to just over 100 (gauge has condensation on screen but others don't?)

Comment

mine stay every on 100/105 in city when go fast on the road 110-115,after 4-5 laps on track arrive to 120 and doing an slow lap for refresh..i use castrol tws...
                            www.fastdrive.org
                            S50 black/black-red In Rome
                            Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Originally posted by fastdrive View Post
                              mine stay every on 100/105 in city when go fast on the road 110-115,after 4-5 laps on track arrive to 120 and doing an slow lap for refresh..i use castrol tws...
                              Mine drops slightly when I drive faster? (on road not track?) using Castrol 10/60
                              Last edited by Dave P; 11-09-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

when going on track use every the air set to 4,after an lap slow (5 min return to 110)
                                The problem i use very few times fast on the road, 5-10 minutes to return in normal condition. ,for 100 arrive to normal use on traffic dont surpass 3-4k...Anyway mine whit 100,000km had this temperature from 9 years whitout issue...
                                The only difference,when buyed first oil chage put the castrol rs and never goes up 110,whit tws is an bit hot temperature
                                www.fastdrive.org
                                S50 black/black-red In Rome
                                Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Working...
                                X