Gearbox oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox oil

What oil to people use for the gearbox? I know that it's supposedly lifetime, but I've just replaced the bushing to fix the sticky 5th gear problem (write-up coming soon) and want to give it a flush out.

Is there a more readily available equivalent to BMW's MTF-LT-1 ?

Paul

The very best oil I have (and many others on the other BMW forums) ever used in a gearbox is Royal Purple Syncromax. Absolutely incredible stuff.

You can order it from Iridium Engineering, and I can vouch for it 100%. You will need to order 2 x Quart bottles (just under 2 litres).

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

I've used AMSOIL MTF from Opie Oils which seems great so far.

Comment

Gearbox oil

How do You judge the quality of use when changing gear?
        safetyfast

Comment

Originally posted by ZZZEMMCO View Post
          How do You judge the quality of use when changing gear?
          Not sure what you mean?

I know Syncromax is better than OE spec BMW oil as I've tried both, on various gearboxes, and the difference is most dramatic using RP Syncromax.

You will know how your gearbox feels, and the first time you drive it after the change, the difference will be very noticeable.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

I use Redline MTL from Opie, on the ///M and have now used it in the Z4, Fantastic, the gear change is now very slick, 2 quarts is what you will need which allows for a little flush through once you've got the old stuff drained out.
            The Original ///M Roadster

Comment

Another vote for Redline MTL. Have used it in BMW gearboxes for years and it is highly recommended by the BMW guys in the States. Is designed for synchromesh gearboxes. First time I used it changed the gearbox from being very heavy and difficult to get into second gear initially in cold weather, to a light smooth change under all conditions.

Also use Readline 75w90 gear oil in the diff. Again have been using it in BMW diffs for years.

Comment

Is it easy to drop the oil out of the gearbox and easy to get the fresh stuff back in?
                Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

Comment

I've not got round to doing this yet, but it should be a case of undoing the drain plug on the bottom of the box to drain. You fill through the plug on the side (to the left of the yellow sticker) until it overflows:

The car needs to be level when you do it, and you need some way to pump the oil up as there's not a lot of clearance between the fill plug and the side of the transmission tunnel.

Paul

Comment

It's the getting it in that's always been the problem (so to speak)

Need one of those pro style grease/oil guns things.

Comment

The most obvious tool to use for filling the gearbox, is one of those oil syringes (they look a bit like something a vet should be using on a cow). However I have previously used a bit of hosepipe with a funnel in the end. Admittedly this was not on the MC but on an E30 3 series, so I am not sure on the route/clearance being the same. The advantge was that cut to the right length, you could feed it down from the engine bay and insert the end into the fill hole, and then slowly pour the oil in the funnel end up by the bulkhead. Saved having to keep filling up the syringe and going back under the car to squirt the next lot in.

Couple of additional tips:

- Always make sure you remove the fill plug on the side before undoing the drain plug

- I have found it useful to put a bit of teflon tape on the drain plug threads when re-installing to prevent any weeping

Comment

Cheers Zed thats ust what I've been thinking would be the easiest way.

Comment

I finally got round to doing this today. Got one of these pumps off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=370101775686

Worked like a charm.

Paul

Comment

Going to do something about this really annoying gear change,

Unfortunately Opie don't have any AMS in stock and no idea when it will be coming in.

Is the best alternative the MTL or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers

Comment

What about the Royal purple stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X