Tired brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired brakes

I've noticed recently that my brakes seem really average against the family CR-V or even the manky old Corsa I have.
    I'd previously assumed it just has less assistance, but now I'm wondering if it might be something else.

Although a bit corroded and years old, the discs have plenty left, and the pads l(yellow stuff) ook OK, but again are several years old now - probably at least 7 years(guess I don't brake hard enough...

So I guess the question is, should I look at the discs, pads, or even go for a braided brake line - which worked a treat on the clutch?

Recent MOT was fine, and fluid was changed less than a year ago,

Cheers,

David.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

I'd start with a fluid change and see if that makes any difference

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Take it out and give the brakes a very aggressive re bed , 60 - 70 mph braking as hard as you can to 10 - 20 mph a dozen or so times so they are stinking , literally, hot and drive home the long way to let them cool off . It's worked for me a couple of times , but obviously keep your eye on the mirror !
      It's also free so worth a try before you start spending money , although with pads at that age I'd keep an eye on them , or preferably replace them before you start the bed in procedure . It doesn't do anything any good on a car having it stood around

Comment

Originally posted by paulwirral View Post
        Take it out and give the brakes a very aggressive re bed , 60 - 70 mph braking as hard as you can to 10 - 20 mph a dozen or so times so they are stinking , literally, hot and drive home the long way to let them cool off . It's worked for me a couple of times , but obviously keep your eye on the mirror !
        It's also free so worth a try before you start spending money , although with pads at that age I'd keep an eye on them , or preferably replace them before you start the bed in procedure . It doesn't do anything any good on a car having it stood around
        Yeah I'm gonna give that a go next weekend if it ever stops raining!

Are you suggesting that process is to help the discs or the pads though?
        S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Working...
        X