Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waking up the M Coupe after 6 years

Hello Forum,

this is my first posting and I´d like to introduce me/my M-Coupe to this community.

As I am German, please excuse my bad English. Especially when it comes to technical terms, some of you might have problems to understand what I mean

The story until today:

I bought my M-Coupe brandnew in 1999 (S50, Cosmic Black/Black). I have it ever since.
    I drove it the first 3 or 4 years nearly every day. In 2000 I drove it to the Hamann facility in Laupheim and had quite some modifications made. From what I remember:

- New brakes
    - New exhaust system
    - Adjustable suspension (you call it that?)
    - Carbon airbox incl. remap and vMax
    - New wheels 18"
    - Short shift
    - Floor Mats
    - 300 km/h display
    - Chrome doorhandles
    - Fog lights
    - Rear diffusor

Then I got myself a 993 Turbo and the M-Coupe was in the garage. After that I switched to RS4 and now RS6. It never again came to my mind to drive the M-Coupe again

It is now sitting in the garage for over 6 years and has never been driven since then.

Now I decided to wake it up again

I recently took it out of the garage and brought it to a place where it will be restored completely. My goal ist to have the new licence plate on it on march 1st 2013 (I will be in spain for 3 month during winter).

Today I ordered a new steering wheel. The looks is like this but it will have Alcantara on top and bottom instead of leather steering wheel

I want to have some things of the interieur redone in carbon and am already talking about this with somebody.

I currently have no photos of my beauty. All old photos have been lost on old computers. But I will take some in the next few days and share them with you.

Hopefully you like my project and follow this thread until sleeping beauty is back on the road.

Thanks for your time and sorry again for my english

Welcome to the forum Cubis. Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your progress.

I really don't understand how some owners on the forum are able to leave their M Coupe in the garage... I just can't keep out of mine... it's verging on an addiction I think

Tschüss!
    Last edited by Fat Tony; 28-10-2012, 06:08 PM.
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
      I really don't understand how some owners on the forum are able to leave their M Coupe in the garage
      Hi Tony,

the 993 Turbo (450 hp instead of 408 hp originally done by Prosche) just blew my mind. And after that I just needed space in my car (family). So the RS4 Avant was just fine.

But from the fact that I never sold my MC you can tell that this is -and ever was - true love

Comment

Too many toys! A problem I've never been fortunate enough to experience.

Careful with the Porsche references... It's a bit of a sore point on here at the moment
        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Welcome - and your English is sehr gut!

When you say you are fully restoring your MC, what are you having done?

Can you post some pictures of the air box and wheels?!

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post

Careful with the Porsche references... It's a bit of a sore point on here at the moment
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Welkommen....I know the issues with too many toys all too well...but lately only one at a time has been available for me to play with so its been ok...I just worry when they are all at home and I have to decide which one to drive to work...that has not happened in quite a while
            BMW Polygamy
            1988 E30 M3: stolen Zinnabarot/Tan
            1991 850Ci: Sold.
            1999 M Coupe: Sold
            2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
            2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
              Welcome - and your English is sehr gut!

When you say you are fully restoring your MC, what are you having done?

Can you post some pictures of the air box and wheels?!

- It will be polished and the paint will be new on parts where it might be needed
              - All liqiuds will be new as well as sparks/filters etc.
              - The short shift was not working properly. It will be fixed/new
              - New tires after 6+ years standing on the old (thinking of Michelin Pilot Sport)
              - New steering wheel as mentioned
              - Maybe I have some of the interieur parts furnished in (real) carbon -> still not decided yet
              - Complete technical check trough

After it will be on the road again in march `13, I am thinking to have the stereo new. There is one example of a german guy who has had himself a pretty high-end stero system installed without changing the interieur looks of the car. Looks (and seems to sound) pretty impressive. Here is the link (german langage only, sorry): stealth stereo system in the M Coupe

Maybe I can thake the time this afternoon and visit sleeping beauty and take some pictures. I´ll keep you updated...

Comment

Cubis - welcome and do send us some pics.

I suspect this tip is either too basic to too late for you but I strongly recommend hand cranking the engine (and other remedial measures like squirting oil down the plug bores) before restarting an engine after all that time.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting story! You are fully excused for leaving the car for 6yrs if you had a 993 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    You are fully excused for leaving the car for 6yrs if you had a 993 Turbo
                    No.

But a 993 Turbo with WLS2 is definitely tempting.

Comment

OK guys, here come the pictures.

But first let me excuse for the bad shape the MC is in right now. This is the actual look after 6+ years in the garage. The car was under a blanket and nothing has been done to it yet.

I have decided to let the professionals of Tamsen do the job. They only deal and repair/restore the finest cars available. I am rather confident that they will be able to make it at least look like new or even better.

Now I stop talking and let you watch. I hope you like my sleeping beauty although I treated it so bad over all the years...

Comment

And a few more:

Comment

Here come the last few:

Comment

I´m looking forward to seeing it in great shape after your planned restoration.

However I´d have most of the tasteless Hamann accessories removed during that process. IMO the Fuel cap, chrome door handles, diffusor, eyelids, foglights and pedal covers make it look like a boy racer´s car. Sorry.

I´d keep only the performance parts and convert the car back to stock appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8flex View Post
                              I´m looking forward to seeing it in great shape after your planned restoration.

However I´d have most of the tasteless Hamann accessories removed during that process. IMO the Fuel cap, chrome door handles, diffusor, eyelids, foglights and pedal covers make it look like a boy racer´s car. Sorry.

I´d keep only the performance parts and convert the car back to stock appearance.
                              Nope, sorry.

I like it the way it is.

Call me a boy racer then

Comment

Working...
                              X