OEM Stereo Head Unit & CD Multichanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Stereo Head Unit & CD Multichanger

Are M Coupe OEM Stereo Head Unit & CD Multichangers desirable and sellable?

I know some owners like originality so advice on value, if any, gratefully received.

I want to change the head unit / CD for Mp3 use and am not worried about the originality of my car (Already killed that!).

Thanks in advance.............

The single cd players (CD43) are very rare and difficult to get hold of. BMW do not supply them, I tried to get a replacement for mine and 2nd hand they were around the £200 mark.

The 6CD changers also go for around £100-£150 +
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

I sold my CD head unit on ebay a couple of months ago to a bloke in america for £180!!!!

Comment

OK thanks for the input.

Comment

Hey, one of them yanks here asking questions.

My girl friend got a 1999 M Coupe that came with a

- Pioneer DEH-P4700MP head unit (tuner/CD controller)
          - OEM 6 CD Changer still in the back

I am trying to find out if these two units work together in any way, but while I do that, can you provide the model of the OEM head unit that should be on the car?

I see two possible solutions for us, either go back to the OEM unit or buy an aftermarket Pioneer changer to match the radio... researching either way.

Any info appreciated.

Comment

It depends, the BMW tape player and the cd player will be able to control the 6CD changer (most came with a tape in front and speced the 6cd, very rare to spec the cd headunit upgrade and the 6CD) the tape will be quite cheap to buy and work the cd changer.

The CD headunit was called a CD43. Also some rover models had the same model with a different face, many parts are interchangeable.

There is also another CD unit called CD3* - not sure of the last number used in E36 3 series/M3.

If I were you I'd find a compatable pioneer cd unit make sure it fits then swap the 6 cd out as the BMW ones do break.

Alternatively go for an I pod set up as most have done once the 6cd has bust.

Have you checked real OEM for the part numbers ?
            Ex 2001 S54
            New cars:
            Lotus Carlton
            350Z

Comment

bmw told me that the single cd player would not be able to control a 6 cd in the boot? that you can only have the tape player controlling a boot cd? is this wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                bmw told me that the single cd player would not be able to control a 6 cd in the boot? that you can only have the tape player controlling a boot cd? is this wrong?
                Yes, mine had the correct connections and functionality. Even had a section about it in the manual so that is wrong.
                Ex 2001 S54
                New cars:
                Lotus Carlton
                350Z

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
                  Yes, mine had the correct connections and functionality. Even had a section about it in the manual so that is wrong.
                  Not really. BMW are saying this because the single CD head unit is actually an ibus head unit and the standard CD changer (CD Changer A) for a Z3 is not. To control the CD changer A you need the tape head unit. The Single CD head unit will control a CD changer, but it needs to be a different change, the ibus CD changer AI will work.

The connections for both systems are the same at the head unit with the standard 17 pin plug that incorporates the small (10 pin?) CD control cable. The difference is at the CD changer end. The CD changer A has a white power plug and a round 'din' style connector. The ibus CD changer AI has the smaller 3 and 6 pin connectors.

FWIW, my 2001 model Z3M roadster came fitted with a single CD changer and was pre-wired with the ibus style 3 pin power plug in the boot, but did not have the 6 pin cable.

Si.

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
                    Not really. BMW are saying this because the single CD head unit is actually an ibus head unit and the standard CD changer (CD Changer A) for a Z3 is not. To control the CD changer A you need the tape head unit. The Single CD head unit will control a CD changer, but it needs to be a different change, the ibus CD changer AI will work.

The connections for both systems are the same at the head unit with the standard 17 pin plug that incorporates the small (10 pin?) CD control cable. The difference is at the CD changer end. The CD changer A has a white power plug and a round 'din' style connector. The ibus CD changer AI has the smaller 3 and 6 pin connectors.

FWIW, my 2001 model Z3M roadster came fitted with a single CD changer and was pre-wired with the ibus style 3 pin power plug in the boot, but did not have the 6 pin cable.

Si.
                    Well I'm not sure about that but mine had the correct cable (which I bought from BMW as mine never had the 6 cd fitted to begin with) and retro fitted it. Unfortuantely it broke very soon after - wouldn't find the disc grrrr.
                    Ex 2001 S54
                    New cars:
                    Lotus Carlton
                    350Z

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
                      Well I'm not sure about that but mine had the correct cable (which I bought from BMW as mine never had the 6 cd fitted to begin with) and retro fitted it. Unfortuantely it broke very soon after - wouldn't find the disc grrrr.
                      I don't doubt it. Mine didn't have the cable, but that is not to say that none did. All I am, saying is that if you look at BMW parts or RealOEM all it shows is the CD changer A which only works with the Tape head unit. That's why BMW are saying no dice with the single CD head unit. A retrofit is certainly possible for people with Single CD head units, but you need the changer AI Cable and to make sure that your car is already pre-wired with the little 3 pin plug. The changer AI is actually a lot more available than the Changer A as it was standard fitment on the E39 and E46.

Another little gem is that because the Single CD head unit is ibus it means it will work with the aftermarket aux connections and ipod adapters designed for the E39 and E46.
                      Last edited by siwilson; 14-10-2009, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I had the single cd fitted as an upgrade but bmw had to swap it for a tape player when I upgraded to a 6 cd in the boot, mine is a early s50 (nov 1998 ) so maybe they changed the spec on later models?.

Comment

I have the origanal H/k set up and needed a new changer as mine was reading "no disks" £320 from bmw..i have the normal tape player aswell and the cd changer is not the normal one it is the a1 type..got it fixed for £120.there wer lots of cd players on fleabay but not the correct one..will eventually upgrade to "becker"

Comment

Working...
                          X