No announcement yet.

Brembo calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon your knowledge is far more advanced than mine, I am sure the piston sizes are identicle on the calipers from seeing them while they were being painted.

I do know Racing tech are very good at setting race spec brembo up as its their bread and butter work.

I am just about to have some Fezza 360 rear calipers sized up for the car.
    Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
    New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
      Simon your knowledge is far more advanced than mine, I am sure the piston sizes are identicle on the calipers from seeing them while they were being painted.

I do know Racing tech are very good at setting race spec brembo up as its their bread and butter work.

I am just about to have some Fezza 360 rear calipers sized up for the car.
      My knowledge is nowhere near as prolific as my mistakes Lee. ;) :-(

If the Racing Tech guys are clued up you should be ok. 8-)

Simply bolting some Porker Brembos up without investigating isn't always a good idea tho. (My post was aimed at those who might do it hastily. :shock: )

I've tried every way (not including Lambo Brembos :-P ), to find a parts bin type solution to the brakes, I've been forced to prise open my Geordie wallet to solve it and this isn't something I do needlessly. :evil: ;)
      Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Hi Simon

Whilst i am by no means an expert on these matters, my reasoning for this set up was based on a lot of investigative time speaking to various companies and individuals. ops:
        You are also quite correct in pointing out that people should not go out and just stick a set of porsche calipers on their thinking this will be perfect as it won't be. :shock:

This whole process is not garanteed to be perfect and i know there will things that need adapting and changing. (ie diff brake master cylinders etc)

I decided to go for the 4 pot 997 carrera brembos as they are a very popular mod for the m-coupes in Germany(especially regular Ring lappers) along with the csl discs. I used to run AP 6pots on my Subaru and know just how ferocious they are and decided that as my car is NOT a dedicated track car they would be a bit of a waste of money and also i didn't want to upset the balance of the car under braking.

My reasoning for the 997 calipers were that they are;

1. A more modern and better designed caliper
        2. Will suffer much less fade than the OEM sliding calipers
        3. Are much lighter than OEM calipers (unsprung mass and all that!)
        4. Are within approx. 10% +/- of the OEM piston area (so might not need to change
        brake master cylnder)
        5. They are very cheap in germany to buy, so if i can't get them to work to my satisfaction i won't have wasted loads of money. ops:

The main criteria for me personally is set up that has a similar feel to the OEM but without major fade and more importantly that does not upset the balance (Front & Rear) under braking.

Another possible option is to use the calipers in conjunction with the 997 rear's and obviously a suitable master cylinder. :idea:

I guess at the end of the day i just can't stop 'tinkering' with the car :mrgreen:

Tony

ps Hows the rallying going, was that your car for sale on Pistonheads?
        Black S50

Comment

I respect the views and info of both M3Compact and Chippy. I'll await Chippy's report of his findings of how the Porsche calipers work out on his MC and if he says it is an improvement then I will take his word that the mod is effective. I know Chippy does all his research before he does his mods.
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
            I respect the views and info of both M3Compact and Chippy. I'll await Chippy's report of his findings of how the Porsche calipers work out on his MC and if he says it is an improvement then I will take his word that the mod is effective. I know Chippy does all his research before he does his mods.
            c'mon chippy! were all waiting!
            BBS LMs, KWv3, H&R ARBs, Wiechers half cage, Wiechers front strut brace, Gruppe M

Comment

I confirm that porsche caliper update is pretty popular among "ringers". If you don't want to upgrade calipers you should try Performance Friction brake discs, they are said to be the best discs you can find (stock size).

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...ect-drive.html

And solid caliped bushings should be a great upgrade too, I will try them on next summer.
              S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
              Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

The front brembo i see on my friend whit an m3 e46,his really happy of this mod and tell goes perfect,it's the best braking system aviable for the M3-Z3m,his payed around 4000 euros it's an big money but if you want improve the lap time :-P
                Anyway i really happy of my stoptech,have an good balance,more power,and good feel whit the pedal and no fad in every condition
                Trackday,mountain roads and highway whit the brain mode off :mrgreen:
                I payed it 2100 euros shipped and tax incluted and must tell is really nice solution
                The problems of porsche caliper is find anyone make the bracket,and on the list an pair of used caliper cost 500-600 euros,the bracket from movit cost 400,the new pair of disk cost around 300,a new pair of pads around 150 and a pair of tubes cost 100
                At least you have spend 1600 euros for an kit of normal brakes,ok the porsche brakes are brembo but if you tell of gt3 brakes are the best but normal porsche i dont think it's more better of an stoptech or brembo kit.This is counts i make before to buy the bbk from stoptech,and i decited to buy it..
                www.fastdrive.org
                S50 black/black-red In Rome
                Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Fastdrive, I have heard the Stoptech kit is very good!

I know someone who has this on an E46 M3 and he is very happy.

Good price too!

having spoken to a freind this morning it is very hard to get the F/R bias set up correctly as Simon says and kits need to be designed properly.

Racing Tech can assist with anyone trying to upgrade their brakes, they have a wealth of knowledge and as I said earlier they design kits for Brembo UK - their number -020 8874 8927

You will see Racing Tech on TV shortly, they are doing a track day later this month testing 2 of their race cars which you will see at Britcar and the Kumho series this year. They are doing some testing later this month with celebrities such as Les Ferdinand and others from the TV series 'The Race'

This will be covered in magazines also with a certain Z3Mcoupe forum member doing some tuition for them all ;) :!:

I will post pics
                  New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

there are a lot more options from ebay.de
                    http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-E36-M3-Brembo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-RS4-RS6-Brem...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Porsche-993-Audi-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

and these two!
                      http://cgi.ebay.de/AP-Racing-Bremsan...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/AP-Racing-BMW-M3-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

i tried to find an cheap solution for one year for porsche kit,if i find it before i certain happy to safe 1000 euros :-? :|
                        For 1000-1200 euros it's really an great deal ;)
                        Anyway an picture make more sense of more word :mrgreen:

www.fastdrive.org
                        S50 black/black-red In Rome
                        Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                          I have heard the Stoptech kit is very good!

I know someone who has this on an E46 M3 and he is very happy.
                          I know someone who uses a Stop Tech kit on an E46 M3 very happily too, do they do a 4 wheel kit for E36/MC tho'?

It wasn't the F/R bias that was the problem with the Porker calipers we tried, it was the piston size/pedal travel. The calipers were '911' from a 2001 Boxster S, not sure which 911 variant they're the same as. :?:

I'll be very interested to see whether the 997 calipers with CSL discs proves satisfactory. 8-) If they are but the rears need a bit of balancing, the Mitzy Evo rears could prove to be useful imo. They're very easy to make a bracket for.

I'm still not 100% happy with my front brake arrangement. We've got a full MC rear end going in now, with AP 4 pots which is untested as yet but should be fine. The front uses an adaptable mounting with AP radial monoblocks to facilitate different disc diameters/offsets, it was expensive/fiddly to have made and I'd very much like to find an alternative parts bin solution for another project. 8-)

Front brakes.

Originally posted by Chippy
                          Hows the rallying going, was that your car for sale on Pistonheads?
                          Not my car for sale, the one on Pistonheads uses an S14. We're currently building another to use a 4-pot engine, hence my interest in finding a more convenient and cost effective solution. :-P

The three tarmac events we've done so far have been very promising, each one only marred by different brake set-up problems. :evil: Brakes have been the thorn in the side of the compact project. :-x

Originally posted by Brady
                          c'mon chippy! were all waiting!

Good luck, hope it works or can be made to work. 8-)
                          Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Simon how comes you havent got drilled or grooved discs on the front?

Comment

some decent pics of the setup

[/img]http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/data//500/423brembo3.jpg[img][/img]
                              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by BEN
                                Simon how comes you havent got drilled or grooved discs on the front?
                                I don't like drilled, the rears will be binned for OEM M3 discs.

I'm unsure which front discs will be used, I'm not totally convinced about grooved - but I want two piece. The discs on atm are non-Evo M3 315mm one piece, it's very easy to adapt for different discs now. I'm hoping to avoid the expense of AP motorsport discs.
                                Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Working...
                                X