No announcement yet.

Steering wheel options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found myself a steering wheel I like. Its a M-Tech 2 double trimmed in alcantara so its nice and thick and has the tri colour stitching all the way round. Feels great and makes the world of difference.

Comment

Well that did'nt work! Can't get the hang of this putting pictures on posts.
      Pictures are in my gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by sean.bmwm3 View Post
        Pictures are in my gallery.
        steering wheel looks great

Comment

Fixed

Paul

Comment

I like the look on that! Are these widely available?

Comment

What's the diameter of the stock wheel? I thought I researched this and seem to remember that the M-Tech 2 wheel was only 5mm smaller? Very nice though, I have the same wheel in leather in my E36 and love it.
              Last edited by Germanlkmanx; 07-09-2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

That looks very nice. Can you confirm dimensions. I assume there's no airbag in the middle of that?

Jez
                1998 Cosmos Black - Not quite standard ...

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. It is only 5mm smaller than standard but the rim is alot thicker which gives it a better feel. I tried a 330mm omp wheel for a while but didn't like the way it cut straight through the dials. Also I think the m-tech 2 wheel goes with the retro look of the interior but it has no airbag which is a bit of a bummer! All i need now are some matching alcantara gear/handbrake boots.
                  I got the wheel from a german seller on ebay, below is a link for a z3m wheel he has for sale thats been trimmed in alcantara complete with airbag. If you email him he's very helpful and will do any style you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Comment

Really like the look of some of those wheels. Even just the stock wheel retrimmed with a mix of perforated and normal leather looks good.

Your wheel looks great

Paul

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. It is only 5mm smaller than standard but the rim is alot thicker which gives it a better feel. I tried a 330mm omp wheel for a while but didn't like the way it cut straight through the dials. Also I think the m-tech 2 wheel goes with the retro look of the interior but it has no airbag which is a bit of a bummer! All i need now are some matching alcantara gear/handbrake boots.
                      I got the wheel from a german seller on ebay, below is a link for a z3m wheel he has for sale thats been trimmed in alcantara complete with airbag. If you email him he's very helpful and will do any style you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
                      I'm yet to buy an MC (hopefully sometime before 2010 hits us though!!) and here a lot about how big the wheel is.

As you confirm, the M-Tech 2 wheel is only 5mm smaller but I find it a perfect size in my current car - I guess as you point out that it is probably the thickness of the rim that makes it feel better than the standard wheel in the MC?

Looks very cool though dude...

Comment

Couple of those ebay wheels look awesome, but they are still too big.

Anyone know what the score is with insurance and removing the airbag?

Comment

Originally posted by Germanlkmanx View Post
                          I'm yet to buy an MC (hopefully sometime before 2010 hits us though!!) and here a lot about how big the wheel is.

As you confirm, the M-Tech 2 wheel is only 5mm smaller but I find it a perfect size in my current car - I guess as you point out that it is probably the thickness of the rim that makes it feel better than the standard wheel in the MC?

Looks very cool though dude...
                          Partly feels bigger becasue the cabin is quite small and often your knees are almost touching the wheel too.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner14 View Post
                            Anyone know what the score is with insurance and removing the airbag?

Wrote off my last one with the alcantara mtech wheel with no airbag. IUnsurance inspector made no mention. Maybe because it as badged BMW??
                            EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                            Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

Has anyone had the Original wheel retrimmed in alcantara?

I'm not happy with the feel of the 'leather' and the skinnyness of the original but can't find an aftermarket one I like the look of.

Anyone had it done?

Thinking of also doing the centre of the dash top.
                              Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

Comment

Had a quote from a person in london to retrim wheel in alcantara with 3 colour stitching was around 350 pounds a tad expensive i think, must be someone out there who can do it but was told its very difficult t do and it has to look very good when finished

Comment

Working...
                                X