Replacing windscreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing windscreens

I am thinking of having both windscreens replaced as the front one has a small repair and the rear has the classic milky edges.

I can replace both at £100 excess each with Hagerty, but I remember seeing somewhere that the rear screen also needs the right rubber seal to avoid the milky residue returning.

Can anyone advise on whether the seal is something I need to buy, or ask Hagerty to ensure they have?

Thanks.

Originally posted by 4xhausts View Post
    I am thinking of having both windscreens replaced as the front one has a small repair and the rear has the classic milky edges.

I can replace both at £100 excess each with Hagerty, but I remember seeing somewhere that the rear screen also needs the right rubber seal to avoid the milky residue returning.

Can anyone advise on whether the seal is something I need to buy, or ask Hagerty to ensure they have?

Thanks.
    no seal on the rear just some spacer buffers that you can get from BMW for a few quid

Comment

Thanks Dave, I can’t see any buffers on the REALOEM page for the screens. I don’t suppose you know the part numbers?

I have just ordered all the rubber exhaust hangers from bmw so hopefully I can add these buffers onto the order.

Never ending jobs to do!

Comment

Originally posted by 4xhausts View Post
        Thanks Dave, I can’t see any buffers on the REALOEM page for the screens. I don’t suppose you know the part numbers?

I have just ordered all the rubber exhaust hangers from bmw so hopefully I can add these buffers onto the order.

Never ending jobs to do!
        The original pictures and details I posted up have been lost to photobucket but I think its number 2 as per the side windows, they are attached to the metal hatch and act as spacers from what I can remember, - mine got damaged when the old glass was removed so worth having a few handy incase yours are the same

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3638

Comment

I recall buying some random buffers from BMW, some were the round black dots, but one was like a small square bar.

When the old rear window is removed you'll see the black buffers on the glass, it's to set the glass level against the hatch and make sure the sealant is even.

Similar to these, but not sure if these are thick enough

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100PCS-Se...d/254457339454

Comment

Thanks both. I will order some of the buffers as per item 2 on realoem.

I should be getting both screens done within a couple of weeks so I will report back.

Comment

Just ordered the buffers, minimum quantity order is 10 at around £7. Managed to add them to my order of all the exhaust rubber mountings as the pipes don’t sit parallel which has always annoyed me.

Pending jobs are:

Exhaust hangers
              Both screens replaced
              Windscreen wash leak near brake servo
              Outside temp sensor is erratic

All the above should be done by the end of July. I’ve only done 900 miles since last September because of Covid, and no possibility of longer trips so I’m hoping to use the car a bit more over the next few months.

New screens should tidy things up a bit.

Comment

I missed this post somehow, but make sure you get the correct front windscreen and the correct seal. When replaced my cracked front windscreen, dealer order the non green strip version, they reordered the correct one. Also make sure you get the correct seal as the roadster and coupe versions are different. If you look up on previous posts on this you will get all the details.
                Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                  I missed this post somehow, but make sure you get the correct front windscreen and the correct seal. When replaced my cracked front windscreen, dealer order the non green strip version, they reordered the correct one. Also make sure you get the correct seal as the roadster and coupe versions are different. If you look up on previous posts on this you will get all the details.
                  I had the same issue as Pete but after explaining about 25 time’s to my insurer they finally got it right but it was PAINFUL

Comment

Here is the link to my experience !

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20055

Comment

Working...
                    X