viscous fan not spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viscous fan not spinning

Hi guys, am a new owner of a m coupe, love it, but just noticed the viscous fan is not turning at all. I had wrongly assumed the fan would kick in when it was needed so wasnt surprised it wasnt spinning from cold.

Had it serviced yesterday and took for a spin, in traffic i noticed the water temp go past half way and no fan kicked in. I turned the heater on full and it held at half way and aborted the drive.

Any idea where I should start on this problem? the fan spins freely by hand, the top water hose was hot so the water pump seems ok?

Dave, where are you, need your help and parts list again. Many thanks Dave

sorry posted twice

here are some pics looking down on the the fan if it helps?
    Attached Files

Comment

Viscous fan should spin all the time but at different speed depending on water temperature, not uncommon for them to fail. Its a DIY job but you will need special tool to hold fan to remove.

some details here,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...ht=viscous+fan

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Dave, I have it booked it in as dont want it over heating. many thanks

Comment

Personally don't run a viscous fan - it doesn't need it IMO and if your water pump starts to go it generally causes devastation to the area when it swings about.

The electric auxillary/aircon fan (at the front of the grill) cools the car fine, it just needs a lower temp thermoswitch fitting so it kicks in earlier.

Comment

Working...
          X