Standard tailpipe diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fok View Post
    There you go Ian.....Remus 76mm on my car, just a little bit too Max Power for my taste so I'd like to change.

They look good in the last shot where you can't see the length, but on the side shot I think they stick out too much.

I've got a set of factory pipes I'd swap with you

Comment

I’m with Spooks and Steve, the standard pipes look great but EOM exhaust is too quiet.

Please allow me to share my experience:
      3 years ago my OEM back boxes started vibrating when cold at idle and low rpm. Noise and vibration lasted about 5-10 minutes until exhaust was up to temperature. Learned thru various posts on BMW forums that it was the inner parts of the back boxes coming loose due to age (thermal and sonic fatigue, perhaps?). So, before buying new OEM back boxes (or maybe go aftermarket) I decided to play with them since they would soon be scraped anyway, and try some sort of “exdos exhaust mod” that I had read about here, but unfortunately came too late to see the detailed pictures or diagrams posted by John.
      After finding pictures on the internet of the inner configuration of the OEM back boxes, I drew up a plan of where to cut and slash, to make the exhaust gas pathway less obstructed and, hopefully, improve the sound.
      The third picture shows OEM configuration, where inlet (to the box) gas enters chambers 1 and 2, is forced thru the upper pipes and enters the outlet pipes at chamber 3. Here all gas must go thru chamber 3 before exiting the back box. My original plan was, apart from discarding the upper pipes, to cut the outlet pipes at the bulkhead dividing chambers 1 and 2. After realizing I had not the required tools to proceed as planned, I went with plan B: Drill the outlet pipes at chambers 1 and 2. Maybe not as extreme mod as originally planned but it worked rather well. After welding back the double skin, the vibration disappeared and the quality of the sound improved IMO, becoming slightly louder and lower in pitch, especially at idle and low engine speeds.

Bottom line, kept the OEM pipes that I think look best, got rid of the vibration (not back after 3 years), improved exhaust sound and saved a lot of €€€ not buying a new exhaust. Annoying neighbors with car alarms going off was not intended though, but that’s just the odd event sometimes when I start the car now

Comment

Hi
        Any sound clips?
        Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
          Hi
          Any sound clips?
          Rags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts0MsxpEkWQ

Comment

Working...