No announcement yet.

Gutted Exhaust S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With removing all the internals does this have an effect with the emissions test on the MOT?

Comment

The catalytic converter does all the work to reduce emissions, the back boxes are merely there to reduce noise

In other words, no it won't affect emissions

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Getting this done also.

Any specific advice on whether to remove all the inards and the run a single pipe through?

Rags

Comment

If you do, then pack the void with exhaust packing otherwise it'll sound very tinny.

Comment

Took my car the the local garage this morning to cut open the back boxes and have a go at doing some similar only to find that the whole system including the back boxes are stainless steel. The garage doesn't have a tig welder so couldn't do it.
            I didn't think the system was stainless steel, is stainless standard on all coupes?
            Seems a shame to start chopping about a stainless system that should last a lifetime!
            1999 BMW Z3M Coupe - Estoril Blue
            sigpic

Comment

I think you can you a mig welder with stainless wire? Could be wrong though.

Comment

It is a stainless steel exhaust with the box being made of two skins of thin SS. It can easily be rewelded after "surgery'" by using a MIG welder and using stainless steel wire and the correct shielding gas. I was the first to do this mod on the Z3MC and I've done a number of them.
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Spoken to my chap again and you are correct about using a MIG welder. The issue is the cost of my chap buying the SS wire and a bottle of tri-mix gas just for this one job, if he then adds on the labour cost it works out close to the cost of having new bespoke back boxes made from scratch!
                  I need to find a local welder who already has the wire and the gas!
                  1999 BMW Z3M Coupe - Estoril Blue
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X