WTB BMW Professional RDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, seen that one. €450 now.

I think that might be close to a brand new one from the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
      Yeah, seen that one. €450 now.

I think that might be close to a brand new one from the dealer.
      I did enquire at my local dealer for a price and availability on a new one but they said no availability for new or exchange but they didn't say no longer available just none in stock worldwide

Comment

Ah, good to know.

I have a second unit for spares. Will hold on to that one for time being.

Comment

Gents, should the CD43 fit flush at both the top and bottom, to the face of the console?

I fitted one in mine this afternoon but while the top sits flush, the bottom is about 2mm proud - seemed odd but I thought I'd check before looking in to it (as I'm struggling to get it back out without the correct removal tools )

Hell, what a difference in sound over the business RDS unit that was fitted. I'll miss being able to play all my John Peel tapes in the car though
          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
            Gents, should the CD43 fit flush at both the top and bottom, to the face of the console?

I fitted one in mine this afternoon but while the top sits flush, the bottom is about 2mm proud - seemed odd but I thought I'd check before looking in to it (as I'm struggling to get it back out without the correct removal tools )

Hell, what a difference in sound over the business RDS unit that was fitted. I'll miss being able to play all my John Peel tapes in the car though
            Pretty sure it should be flush

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              Pretty sure it should be flush
              Thanks Dave. I thought that would be the case. Now to try to find some removal tools then

Comment

In the E36 the CD43 does stick out about 2mm. So can imagine if the DIN slot on the Z3 is anything alike, doesn't seem too strange to me.

I've looked to see if I could mod the bezel or slot, but didn't want to risk damaging stuff so just live with it.

PS. I have to correct a previous statement about the Professional RDS volume knob. I said BMW never offered one separately, because it's one piece with the soldered electronics pcb on the main pcb.

Yesterday I was toying with my spare unit which has the facia off and opened up, I could actually quite easily pop the knob off.

After checking further, I now understand why you couldn't buy one. Unlike the other unit's knobs, which are just that, on the Professional unit the lit ring at the base, is part of the knob. And this has a flange on the end, that falls behind a groove n the inside of the facia.

So while it does pop off, it only does so when the pcb it's on, inside the facia, is taken out.

I'll take some pics if anyone is interested.

Comment

Tony - I thought the CD43, like the Business RDS, simply removes with an allen key ?

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                    Tony - I thought the CD43, like the Business RDS, simply removes with an allen key ?
                    That's correct.

I do recall it being something like an unequal sides hex. Years ago I bought a brand new unit that came with its own tool.

But before that I had no problems using small allen keys on BMW radio's so might be in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                      Yeah, there's the two tiny bolts that release the side clamps that hold it in to the dash, but there's nothing to grab hold of on the CD43 to pull on and it's a tight fit, so I assumed that the tools shown in the photo that Dave posted earlier were to aid removal. Is that not the case? Do I just need to find another way to lever it out - I was nervous of damaging the centre console.

The cassette player was easy because you can get a decent hold using the cassette slot.
                      Last edited by Fat Tony; 25-11-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Ha yes. I pull carefully on the volume knob.

If it doesn't come out, I take out the OBC and Climate controls, then get my hand behind the unit. But on the Z3 that trick doesn't apply.

Maybe use a credit card(-ish) thin lever thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                          Ha yes. I pull carefully on the volume knob.
                          First thing I tried... it just pulled off the shaft it slides on to

I've a couple of different trim removal tools that might do the trick safely, so I'll take a look with those. Thanks for your help chaps.

Comment

If you pull straight on it will come off, so I put a little lateral force on it. Usually does the trick.

Comment

Saw these listed on eBay Germany,

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Radio-Becker-...wAAOSw~otWfm0M

and Becker Mexico Professional

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BECKER-MEXICO...wAAOSw5dNWq6x7

Comment

This also looks quite good Dave, there's 2 available. BMW displayed on start up, a nice touch:

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-an...74363-223-3176

If I was looking for a new radio I'd probably go for one of these, genuine BMW/Becker radio, single din navigation, cd etc. Not sure if it is this model but some do have Bluetooth capability for phone connection etc. TBH I can't think of anything more that you'd need from a radio.
                                I've had a Becker Cascade Pro in the coupe now for 4 years and can't recommend it enough, even with standard speakers the sound quality is great.
                                Last edited by guido; 31-01-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X