Simota Carbon Air Box Dyno Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simota Carbon Air Box Dyno Test

I spent the whole day at the Simota UK distibutor (Sanspeed) making up a kit to fit the MC. We have finally mocked up one that will fit and it will be produced for early December.

We did 3 runs with a standard airbox and a Simota. Graham (Sanspeed owner) himself was very surprised to see a 10 KW minimum increase in power without any loss in torque or low end power.
    I couldn't get a print out so we decided to visit Bexley Motorworks who are next door. Their dyno is another one which is pretty accurate and has had loads of dyno days. So we knew what a normal Z3M and E36 M3 evo puts out there.

Out came the Simota and in went the standard airbox again.

We recorded 308 bhp highest result. They were very surprised to see this sort of power from a 3.2 M engine until we told them it was remapped. They normally do around 290 on this dyno.

On went the Simota, they were not expecting any real gain themselves but were open minded as they'd never tested one back to back themselves.

We did 3 runs the lowest output reading which was 318 bhp. Our highest recorded figure (which was the 1st run) was 325bhp.

So a minimum gain of 10bhp with no loss of torque anywhere but no real increase in torque until higher up the rev range.

Very consistent with the dyno we had at Sanspeed aswell.

All this was dyno earlier today.

Here's the dyno graph:

The BMW airfilter we used was brand new.

Also, the noise was very nice. No additional intake noise on part throttle unless under load and a very nice induction noise on full throttle. Didn't sound over the top in any way. I will post up some video clips when I have time, probably at Santa Pod.

Throttle response was much crisper and there is a definate increase in top end pull.

do you have any ideas of cost at the moment?

Comment

We think retail is going to be around the £250 mark which is good value considering the gains, the sound and the fact that the Gruppe M costs £500.

Comment

that is a good price!

that will do me till the CSL conversion! :wink:

Comment

We will have to see if it will fit the S54 engine. I think the layout of the MAF is slightly different.

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
            We will have to see if it will fit the S54 engine. I think the layout of the MAF is slightly different.
            oh yeah! bugger, how easy do you think it will be?

Comment

I'll have to have a closer look at the S54 engine bay to answer that Ben.

Comment

I'll have to have a closer look at the S54 engine bay to answer that Ben.
                You can have a look this Sunday at santa pod if you need.

I maybe going for a CSL style kit on mine soon but failing that i would be intrested in this 8)
                Ex S54 - She has gone....

Comment

i might pop down before xmas then and have mine remapped and purchase the box 8)

Comment

I'm sure that any aftermarket air-intake, which has a larger aperture than the inlet pipe into the OEM air-filter box will show a performance increase on a dyno. However, in real world driving conditions, I would expect the OEM air-intake to perform better than almost all aftermarket air intakes, particularly at higher speeds, and especially when the reverse-flow silencing has been corrected by the Exdos Mod and when the N/S brake duct has been partially blocked so that the brake duct is converted into an air scoop.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

At higher speed the car pulls much better with the Simota than with the standard air box. Obviously thats just my opinion using my uncalibrated butt dyno.

I have no experience of the Exdos mod so am unable to comment on what the difference might be. A dyno run is the only tangible way I can show that this product works rather than just saying my butt dyno says its faster which it does say. I could do some testing over a 1/4 mile but then someone would say that driver input would effect the results.

I'm not knocking the Exdos mod in anyway but how can you prove it works.

Comment

I'm not knocking the Exdos mod in anyway but how can you prove it works.
                        Imran,

Likewise, I'm not knocking your Simota air-box because, for one, I haven't seen it, I'm just assuming that it's something like a GruppeM air intake, where you don't enlist the snorkel in the N/S brake duct as a direct tubed feed into a sealed air-intake.

I've attempted to explain why I consider the OEM air intake system is better than other presently available aftermarket air intake systems here: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4469 and I know that there are some members on this forum who think I'm talking bull5hit when I suggest that the OEM air-intake can benefit from genuine "ram effect". Obviously, it's very difficult to prove that ram effect occurs on a stationary rolling road dyno without having some variable speed fans capable of simulating the forces of air at high speed. Consequently, I believe that a more open aperture to an aftermarket air-intake will show an improvement over the OEM air-intake system in the artificial environment of a RR dyno. As such, I believe that any gains shown would be illusory, when in real world driving conditions, the actual effect of the MC travelling through air creates dynamic forces which don't occur on a RR dyno.

Far be it from me to tell others that they shouldn't buy an aftermarket air-intake system, if that's what they want. All I've ever tried to do is merely sing my praises of the OEM system, which I believe can be tweaked to perform even better for free.
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

With respect why not once and for all end this topic, exodus.
                          Fit a pressure sensor to your air box and do a serious of runs at your leisure.

Report your findings and we can discuss.

Butt dyno figures don’t mean anything.

I'll be the first person to commend you if you’re right.

Comment

Originally posted by V6 inside
                            With respect why not once and for all end this topic, exodus.
                            Fit a pressure sensor to your air box and do a serious of runs at your leisure.
                            I believe that someone is going to lend me one, and I will report the findings when I've tried it. Like you, I'd like to see the facts too
                            :wink:
                            /// Exdos ///

Comment

I'm all in for scientific proof.

Looking forward to your results mate.

8)

Comment

Working...
                              X