Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Default removing air box s50

I am no mechanic but not a complete idiot, so thought I would have a go at removing airbox and plenum to view some of the pipes and ICV, hopefully give that a clean.

Well i undid the nut to the right of the box clearly holding on the right side of the airbox and a bolt in the heat sheild holding the left side, but it felt like there was something holding on the front of the airbox. I didnt undo any of the rubber pipes or MAF sensor as felt like the airbox had another housing somewhere. I couldnt see if there was a housing at the front of the airbox.

Does anyone have a link to removing? I had a quick look for a haynes manual but there doesnt seem to be one for the z3m coupe. There is a bentley one for £70 on Amazon. Is this the only manual?

Many thanks, Dave
Old 07-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Bentley manual doesn't cover the Euro S50 engine with it being a US publication but does cover body brakes etc which are mostly the same. Not sure if there are any other manuals worth having.

The air filter hosing just has the heat shield bolt and nut on inner wing also hose to remove from bottom and maf connector and hose clamp on rubber elbow. There is a rubber bung which holds the housing in situ but the whole assembly should just lift up with everything undone.

picture showing bung on left

Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Picture showing just air filter housing and heat shield removed, the black round rubber thingy on the inner wing attaches to the airbox and holds it in place

Apologies for the E36M3 strut covers which have now been removed and sold

Last edited by Dave P; 07-10-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave, I did joke i need your direct telephone number before!! so if i remove the bolt on inner wing, nut in heat shield, undo MAF clips, there is a house lower left on airbox which I could see, but with the two nuts removed, and MAF undone should I be able to pull airbox clear to then remove the hose lower left?

I think after driving it today it might be my Throttle control sensor as its fine if you fire it from cold, but if you turn it off and on, then it stalls. The tick over is low sometimes just above 500rpm but doesnt stall. It does move up to around 6-700 if stationary for a bit.

Nice pics again Dave
Old 07-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the badger View Post
Thanks Dave, I did joke i need your direct telephone number before!! so if i remove the bolt on inner wing, nut in heat shield, undo MAF clips, there is a house lower left on airbox which I could see, but with the two nuts removed, and MAF undone should I be able to pull airbox clear to then remove the hose lower left?

I think after driving it today it might be my Throttle control sensor as its fine if you fire it from cold, but if you turn it off and on, then it stalls. The tick over is low sometimes just above 500rpm but doesnt stall. It does move up to around 6-700 if stationary for a bit.

Nice pics again Dave

Yes if you remove and undue those items then the hosing should be free and lift up.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Thanks Dave

Thanks again Dave
Old 08-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Nice pics again Dave

Might be worth changing the Throttle position sensor but they are not that cheap these days.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Tps

am I right in thinking hella made the OEM spec TPS for our cars?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
am I right in thinking hella made the OEM spec TPS for our cars?
Not sure as I cant find my old one, did find this picture online which shows a manufacturer mark of ab - AB Elektronik ?

Last edited by Dave P; 08-10-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Default Thanks Dave

Hi Dave, thanks again, will see what that part number comes up with from the stealers :(

Tags
air filter housing, throttle position sensor, tps