Vanos bolt length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanos bolt length?

Does anyone know the correct length of the vanos bolts which should have been fitted by BMW dealers after the recall on S50 engines?

realoem lists them as part number 07119900677 but not sure if these are the originals or longer replacements?

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/11/11_1575/

Dave,

In my garage I just checked a set of bolts that I believe were the OEM ones. Those were all M5X20.

I have replaced them years ago with higher strength 10.9 bolts supplied by http://www.mrvanos.com/E36-M3-S50-B3...1848237%29.htm

However, as those bolts are now in my current Vanos unit replaced about a month ago, I cannot confirm what lenght they are. This current unit was Rolls Royce factory rebuild unit and it had all new cover bolts but they did not look high strength 10.9 bolts. Therefore, I replaced them with those 10.9 bolts from my old unit.

I checked the new bolts taken from the factory serviced unit and they were also M5x20.

I further measured the depth of the holes in the Vanos. They seem be about 26 mm deep. It seems that they could accept M5x25 with a washer that will reduce the bolt length approximately 0.5 mm. If the 25 mm bolts would not bottom up without a washer, then it would be safe to tighten them up with the washer.

Are you sure that the BMW "official" replacement bolts are really longer than the 20 mm originals ? Or do they just have the higher 10.9 strength ?

Hopefully this helps.

br, Juha
    The older I get, the faster I was ...
    BMW HP2 Sport
    ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Sorry, I gave incorrect info above regarding the bolt strengths !

The bolts in the original Vanos were 10.9 M5x20. I do not know whether a recall replacement of these bolts were done or not.

The bolts in the factory serviced Vanos unit were also 10.9 M5x20.

The bolts from Mr. Vanos were 12.9 instead 10.9. Cannot verify the length without removing one of the bolts.
      The older I get, the faster I was ...
      BMW HP2 Sport
      ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
        Dave,

Are you sure that the BMW "official" replacement bolts are really longer than the 20 mm originals ? Or do they just have the higher 10.9 strength ?

Hopefully this helps.

br, Juha

not sure always thought they were longer and stronger?

Comment

Working...
        X