High Revs when starting!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    I don't think mine revs over when 1500rpm started up for the first time.
    Same here.

Comment

I am going to tackle this the weekend after next so I'll be sure to report back on whether the new ICV has helped.
      Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
      In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Mine doesn't get over 1,500 either. Although at the end of a spirited drive the other day, the idle was a little uneven, going from around 750 where it sits when warm up to 1,000 in short bursts. That's clearly a different thing, and I've yet to see if it does it again.

Jez
        1998 Cosmos Black - Not quite standard ...

Comment

Originally posted by oo7tk View Post
          Yea mine revs to about 3k revs for about 30 seconds or so the the steering would also make noise for the first few minutes, any ideas????

does it have a lumpy idle afterwards or does it settle down?

Comment

Something similar here that only seems to manifest itself when I have been manouvering in the drive when putting it away - rises to 1,500ish and then dies back down to normal after 10 or 20 seconds...
            www.tracking-shot.com

Comment

Originally posted by twink View Post
              Something similar here that only seems to manifest itself when I have been manouvering in the drive when putting it away - rises to 1,500ish and then dies back down to normal after 10 or 20 seconds...

Twink, I think anything up to 2k can be considered "acceptable" bearing in mind we are talking about an engine with over 100bhp per litre.

The rising revs I intermittantly experience with my MC goes up to 4k! This of course is not acceptable...

Comment

Originally posted by ron burgandy View Post
                does it have a lumpy idle afterwards or does it settle down?

This morning it was grand but last night after work it reved to about 3k and then settled down.... The steering is always noisy when its cold??? Kinda groaning noise for the first few minutes and then its gone?????
                What av ass

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                  Twink, I think anything up to 2k can be considered "acceptable" bearing in mind we are talking about an engine with over 100bhp per litre.

The rising revs I intermittantly experience with my MC goes up to 4k! This of course is not acceptable...
                  Not too bothered about mine, as you say it's not high, more sort of odd that it does it on its own for no apparent reason
                  www.tracking-shot.com

Comment

Hey...

I had same problem in my old MC, small blip on the pedal would sort it out.

Also had same issue on my 993 Porsche, turned out to be the Idel Stability Valve. Simple case of removing, spraying with cleaner (ton of carbon crap comes out). Problem went away after the clean although is a common issue with the 993's.

Cheers
                    Ex Estoril S50 '99
                    Ex Porsche CarreraS 993 WideBody
                    Ex TVR T350C Chameleon Blue
                    Lotus Esprit 2002 V8 Twin Turbo

Comment

It might be worth checking the tension of the throttle cable as it's surprising how an engine reacts different cold vs hot on the same throttle. Even if it doesn't look overly tight, maybe slacken it as an experiment to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        It might be worth checking the tension of the throttle cable as it's surprising how an engine reacts different cold vs hot on the same throttle. Even if it doesn't look overly tight, maybe slacken it as an experiment to see what happens.
                        Deffinately not the case, C_W. I have been under the bonnet when it does this and physically held it back, the revs however continued to rise!

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                          Deffinately not the case, C_W. I have been under the bonnet when it does this and physically held it back, the revs however continued to rise!
                          It must be the ICV then or a sensor telling it to open when it shouldn't, the engine needs throttle to physically rev and 4000rpm is quite a lot isn't it! maybe block one of the pipes to the ICV (or just squeeze a pipe to block it) and try it? although I don't know how [badly] these engine idle with it blocked, my Peugeot Mi16 engine uses the same BOSCH setup and can idle on its own with it disconnected albiet not brilliantly. Also not sure whether the ICV is open with power or closes with power as to whether you could just run it with it disconnected as a test.

The only other small chance is that one of the throttle bodies isn't setup properly or is loose (worn ball joints on the levers etc allowing one throttle to open on its own a little).

Comment

After owning my MC for 2 weeks I had the high rev problem this morning. When I start her normally from cold it goes to 1500rpm and then settles around 1000rpm after 20 seconds or so. This Morning it jumped to 3000rpm and contained to rise and I turned the engine off in panic and when I started it again it was fine.

If everyone could let me know how you get on that would fantastic :)

Oli
                            - Dakar Yellow S50

Comment

Mine has also now started doing this after this thread was started.. mine sits in a cool garage so is not really out in sunlight or hot weather. It has done it two nights in a row..
                              1998 S50 Imola Red

1997 Ferrari 355 Berlinetta

2008 Travelcard

Comment

I had this problem - tended to happen after a bout of spirited driving. It turned out to be a loose floor mat pressing on the pedal, due to all the frantic footwork!
                                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X