Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2021, 10:00 AM

MOT passed with flying colours, got myself pretty anxious waiting to find out, after working on the car since March 2020 I knew there shouldn't be anything to fear but it's funny how you worry! Like waiting for a child to get their exam results of something!

A bit frustrating being out in the car for the first time in ages, wanted to really drive it a bit but it was greasy roads and -1 so I didn't want to go too crazy :)

Now I'm going to fit the new side skirts and do an inspection 2 type service. Handily valve clearances were done only 2000 miles ago with receipts to prove it.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:06 PM

Got the alignment done today, slightly felt like a mug as I paid £55 for them just to adjust the Toe on the front axle but it was quite a long way out and does feel better.

Rest of the car was almost all within spec, although it makes we wonder whether i should have fitted the adjustable bolts to the back to get it band on!
Old 13-01-2021, 08:36 AM

I've now driven about 120 miles on the new suspension setup.

The Bilstein B6 Dampeners and Eibach springs coupled with H&R Anti roll bars give me exactly what I was aiming for.

I would describe it as OEM Plus, if you are after something more track focussed then this is probably not the setup, would imagine coilovers are.

The ride is actually pretty fantastic and the whole car feels very together.

Having the boot floor re-inforced, the new diff ear and the all important uprated subframe bushes now means that the back end of the car now feels much more solid under power, it will break traction without it feeling like the back of the car is about to fall apart.

Still a little driveline shunt but this has also been reduced.

All in all it's a hoot to drive but just so usable, want to drive it everywhere at the moment, shame I can't!

The only thing I am also considering is whether to try the standard Z3 steering rack of 2.7 vs 3.2 turns lock to lock to see if that would prove the icing on the cake, although first I would like to see if a smaller steering wheel changes the feel a little.

The Alfa I drive day to day normally has a super quick 2 turns lock to lock so perhaps the steering feels extra slow in the M Coupe.

Of course the risk is I try and make the M Coupe something it's not!

Those who have fitted the quicker Z3 rack, were you pleased with the results?
Old 17-01-2021, 09:58 AM

Good to hear that the suspension setup has given you what you wanted.
I did the same albeit went from coilovers to the OEM+ as you call it.
The ride height is perfect and the comfort levels are much improved.
Can’t provide any insight on a modified steering rack.

Tags
boot floor, journal, rogue, sills, subframe