Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Good man,im sure it will sort it...

Im not in Wales fella,live near the Snake pass and work in Stalybridge Cheshire.
Old 31-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Well, I had some fun with the Z3M at the end of last week. I went for third gear and found nothing! Had to limp the car home from work in 4th gear the whole way, the linkage had come apart!

Looks like last time the clutch was changed this pin wasn't replaced with a new one:

As you can see from the new one, there is a part of the locking U-shaped part that has snapped off. £1900 to have your clutch changed at a dealership and they don't replace this £4 pin... not good!

I also had the oil sump cover o-ring replaced as this appeared to be weeping slightly:

Whilst she was up in the air it was a good time to have the gearbox oil changed.

I put some Amsoil MTF in her, I wasn't expecting much of a change but wow, get some.

I also had the deflector pulley changed, it was squealing and I hated it:

One last thing was one other thing that was bothering me was the air/water deflectors in front of the rear wheels:

Next up is putting the front underbody aero on, I keep putting it off as I can't really work out how it goes together..!
Old 31-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Administrator

There are loads of pictures in my journal of the front undertrays which should give you some idea on how they fit
Old 28-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Ok, it's been a while but I should probably update this journal...

A few things have gone on in my life and I did consider selling the M, but at the moment I have no intention of selling her.

First off in March was a quick (Fit!) MoT:

Passed with one advisory on one of the track rod arms.

Then back in April the exhaust solenoids went giving a fantasticly lumpy idle that coincided with me starting a new job... so I was getting some funny looks in the car park every night either sitting stationary at 3k to keep the idle happy or just violently rocking from side to side... all good fun. Fortunately I have a friend who's into radio controlled helicopters and he can solder anything :)

This was my failed attempt:

He did a much better job but I'm afraid I didn't get a picture of this. At the same time I found a loose spark plug in cylinder three which I nipped up, she was running a lot happier after that was all sorted!

Next up was the heater panel bulbs, it had always bugged me that the right hand side one didn't work. It was a bugger of a job, but a satisfying one none the less:

Old bulb out (I replaced both as I was there anyway):

Then, half way through the job, one of the VDO gauge bulbs went! Fortunately these are 501s, but they're meant to be 3v and I only had 5v, so a pair of 5v went in to try and keep it as samey as possible:

All done!

She his 88,888 miles:

Since swapping my clear side lights and indicators for tinted ones I'd decided that I didn't like the look at all, so off they went (plus some nice person had obviously walked into my car and torn half of one of the side lights off!):

Much better!

In May I gave her an interim service. I've decided to give up on all the fancy pants oils, I'll be honest I've tried Silkaline, Mobil 1 and Gulf Competition oils in S50s, so this time I went for what it says in the handbook - Castrol FST Edge 5w 40. Can't fault the stuff, she seems very happy on it. I guess BMW must recommend it for a reason. No pics I'm afraid, but we all know what an oil service looks like!
Old 28-06-2014, 02:58 PM

I also decided to give her a clean. Not my normal wash and dry but I actually spent nine hours detailing and getting sunburnt. I washed, detarred, clayed, polished and then waxed until I could wax no more. I used the Billet Hamber medium clay followed by auto Glym Super Resin Polish and High Definition Gloss Shine. Exhausting, but worth it :)

Then I took this photo at work:

It didn't matter how clean my car was, can you even see my exhausts? Ok that was the next job... A few bits of wire wool and metal polish later:

Old 28-06-2014, 02:59 PM

At the start of June I was planning some maintenance, I wanted to take the plenum off and clean the ITBs, I'd done this on my old 3.0 M3 and it really made a difference. So, off with the plenum!

Unfortunately under the plenum I found this little lot:

...which had obviously been untouched since the car was bought :(

The infamous 50p bung:

So there was a little bit of sitting in Bluebell BMw and enjoying their new £2k coffee machine whilst they sorted the bits for me!

Fortunately they all turned up and I got everything fitted. I am very chuffed with the engine now, super smooth and as it should be :)

Next up was the inevitable tick over tot 90k miles!

The only advisory I'd had at my MoT was for the track rod arm, not the actual track rod end. Another thing that had been bugging me was the front right hand brake calliper, so I bought a pair of new track rod ends, pair of track rod arms and a new brake calliper and I went off to my local Indy to get them fitted. Unfortunately the braided line wouldn't come out of the old calliper, so my mechanic set about refurbishing the old one. He found that the outer part wasn't sliding due to built up sh*t in the slider, a bit of wire wool and I've got perfect brakes again. Top job and saved me £100 on the calliper!

The track rod arms and ends went on with no fuss, then I thought I'd better try out the new Snap On laser aligner they've got at another local garage:

I have to say I'm very impressed. I'd always looked for Hunter machines, but the Snap On jig was impressive too. The difference with the new arms is really night and day, the little bit of vagueness on the steering has gone and she's back to being razor sharp :)

Finally after all the boring maintenance I thought I'd better treat her to a few mods. So I got myself an e46 M3 crank pulley and fitted that, I removed the AC belt and I swapped the 95*C temp switch in the rad to an 88*C one and whipped the viscous off... I am very pleased with the results. She's much revvier now, you can really feel the loss of parasitic drag on the engine.

Next up I've noticed that one of the rear bumper rivets appears to have snapped. I've bought four more but I'm not going to do them until I've got some free time, then I'm going to take the rear bumper and the side skirts off and the wheel arch liners and give everything a good clean up and underseal :)

Crank pulley:

Viscous delete:

I also had the alternator belt changed too, this finally silenced the squeaking at the front that I'd changed the tensioner pulley to try and fix ages ago! Oh and in the last shot you can see that I've finally installed the oil cooler/underbody aero coverings. Massive improvement, you don't feel half as much front end lift at high speed. It's obviously put there for a good reason!

Finally a few little whoring shots :)

On top of a car park:

With an M3 CS at work:

Last edited by Mad Max; 28-06-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 28-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Good stuff!

Are those LED bulbs in your side lights?
Old 28-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Cheers Spooks, yes they are, they're the biggest ones I could find on eBay that'd fit, but I'm still not 100% happy with the look and I do often consider swapping back to filament bulbs. Let me go grab you a pic or two...

Old 28-06-2014, 03:37 PM

They do look ok but just don't fill the lens....but neither do the filament bulbs!

Have you tried any LED bulbs in your rear lights?
Old 28-06-2014, 03:42 PM

I haven't even thought about the rears you know... might have a little Google!