Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14-02-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysideways View Post
Good to see another car being looked after.

How do you find the 4 New Michelin Pilot Sport Tyres, I've always run Pilot sports on my M's and had a set of super sports on one of my last E46.

This current car has some Uniroyal rain sports on the front and some cheap ditch finders on the rear, so not sure if to pop some matching Uniroyal's on the rear, or to bite the bullet and buy a set of Pilot Sports.

Any thoughts from a fellow Z3M owner would be appreciated.
No worries, I find the PS4's brilliant and very confidence inspiring in all weathers. Good traction too. Steering feel pretty good.

I also had them on a Maserati 3200 Assetto Corsa about two years ago (when the tyre had just come out) and they were good on that too.

I was a little disappointed that I could not get the higher performance Pilot Sport 4S in this size, but no regrets on going for the PS4.

A bonus is that the sidewalls have a nice silky finish to them that somehow looks quite smart.

I had a similar situation, aged tyres when I bought her. I was actually worried that one of my wheels was bent/buckled and that was a negotiating point, but new tyres one and balanced up and it's all good which was a relief. I think a wheel weight might have come off before.
Old 15-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Your car looks great I have to say.

PS4s are an excellent choice of tyre. I've had them on a couple of cars, and as above they are very confidence inspiring. I've also had them on track too and the coped admirably, I didn't really feel them go 'off' like you do with some tyres
Old 01-03-2020, 04:16 PM

Hayward and Scott Exhaust Arrived this week.

Photos on this link because I've struggled to embed them again, struggled last time despite having flickr links:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186672.../shares/8k9qJ1

I'd say the general finish is not bad but I've also seen better. The separate flanges seem like a good idea to make sure it fits nicely/the boxes can rotate... Also feels quite light.

The biggest thing will be how it sounds though! Unfortunately can't try as my car is away for a little work to tidy up and preserve the sills etc.

Also not sure whether to say something to them but I seem to have ended up with rolled tips when on the website it shows straight cut which I think looks better???

https://www.haywardandscott.com/bmw/...ear-boxes.html

Last edited by urquattrogus; 01-03-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquattrogus View Post
Hayward and Scott Exhaust Arrived this week.

Photos on this link because I've struggled to embed them again, struggled last time despite having flickr links:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186672.../shares/8k9qJ1

I'd say the general finish is not bad but I've also seen better. The separate flanges seem like a good idea to make sure it fits nicely/the boxes can rotate... Also feels quite light.

The biggest thing will be how it sounds though! Unfortunately can't try as my car is away for a little work to tidy up and preserve the sills etc.

Also not sure whether to say something to them but I seem to have ended up with rolled tips when on the website it shows straight cut which I think looks better???

https://www.haywardandscott.com/bmw/...ear-boxes.html

May be different depending on browser / pc software etc but for me this works - in flickr bottom left download picture - view all sizes - and then copy and paste picture

Old 02-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Thanks Dave :)

These tips will be fine I think, although arguably straight looks better :)
Old 14-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Fitted my new Hayward and Scott exhaust a couple of nights ago, finished up by about 11.30pm after work but wanted to get it on.

Fitted quite nicely, had to tweak on metal bracket slightly, and as you can see one side is not quite level, wanted to drive it though so will have to re adjust later!

[IMG]Untitled by angus doe, on Flickr[/IMG]

Stocking up on work supplies as none at the supermarket:

Happy with the way the twin pipes look.

Sound wise I have to say that at high revs its sounds awesome, it screams quite nicely. Also sounds good when the blip the throttle and idle sounds just about right.

It is towards the louder spectrum for most I should imagine.

However, there is quite a resonance or drone between 2-3k rpm, probably more than I would like. Not been on the motorway yet.

I have spoken to Hayward and Scott and they claim that you need up to 500 miles for the drone to reduce and the sound to mellow out, a bit sceptical but I shall give it a chance. About 70 miles driven so far and it does seem to have changed tone a little.

Here is a short vid of stationary sound. Will try to get some one the move at a later date.

https://youtu.be/HKW2HeAFu_Q

Last edited by urquattrogus; 14-03-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 15-03-2020, 02:49 PM

Found out there was a Dyno day on just 10 mins away from me today, so couldn't resist popping down for a quick power run.

Car has been feeling very healthy but was curious.

Video of my runs below:

https://youtu.be/XMpjHV7Y9Mg

Pretty happy with the results, that's about right for a standard S50????

Standard apart from the Hayward and Scott rear boxes anyway....

Graph:

[IMG]Dyno Plot by angus doe, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by urquattrogus; 15-03-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 15-03-2020, 03:29 PM

Your torque / power lines look good

Here's mine for comparison:

IMG_20200315_152646 by mnbrennan, on Flickr
Old 15-03-2020, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Now, thats just showing off LOL I managed about 299.4 at the engine on my standard 100K 98S M3 3.2, the only time I ever went to a dyno.
Old 31-03-2020, 10:23 AM

So, a couple of weeks ago my car went to Reddish Motorsport and they cleaned up some surface rust on the sills and jacking points.

They did quite a long video on this which will be posted in the near future, will link to it.

Gives me great peace of mind.

They also fitted a braided clutch hose for me at the same time (Glad I didn't have the faff with bleeding up myself)

Getting to love the Hayward and Scott Exhaust Exhaust now.

Shame I can hardly drive it though :(

I've done a few little jobs like swapping out the TPS for a new one. Replaced the screws with new allen headed ones which I think are much more robust than the original ones, one of which was very soft and rounded off. Think the idle and response is slightly better now.

I also have some Performance Friction Front Brake Pads to fit, my discs are next to new so keeping the same discs. Should make a nice little upgrade along with some braided brake hoses at a later date.

I fitted these same compound pads to my 916 3.0 Alfa Spider and I found the brake feel to be really good and confidence inspiring, with a bit more bite. No drawbacks with cold performance or noise either.

I'm now contemplating whether to remove the rear axle and trailing arms to re-bush, blast and paint.

I have plenty of POR 15 paint and various consumables in the garage.

But will I get any of the other parts I need??, I don't want to end up completely disabling the car for a long time!!!

Tags
boot floor, journal, rogue, sills, subframe