No announcement yet.

My Estoril S50, Chuffed to have an M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performed an Inspection 2 service today, and will send off an oil sample just out of curiosity, not that I expect anything to be wrong.

I didn't check the valve clearances as I have an invoice for that, complete with shims etc from 3000 miles ago.

It was nice to see how neat the coil pack wiring is and how hight quality the connections are, nicely engineered.

The last coil on plug car I changed the plugs on was my Maserati 3200, that was a bit of a mess, the wiring loom had a lot of fabric tape on it that was failing, the rubber boots on the connectors needed replacing etc etc. I think the heat from the turbo's didn't help.

I will soon report back on the quicker Z3 steering rack once I've got the car allinged etc

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

old plugs:

Last edited by urquattrogus; 14-03-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• How much does it cost for the oil test and who are you using? if you dont mind posting up

Comment

• Hi Dave, we use these at work as we service and repair Agricultural and Construction machinery. We buy the capsules pre paid and then you send it off and they email the results to an address of your choice. I’ll send you one if you like? Send me a pm of your address....

Comment

• Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
          Hi Dave, we use these at work as we service and repair Agricultural and Construction machinery. We buy the capsules pre paid and then you send it off and they email the results to an address of your choice. I’ll send you one if you like? Send me a pm of your address....
          Thanks Gus, I will contact when due an oil service

Comment

• So, frustratingly I haven't managed to lower the car down and go for geo setup yet as I needed some special pliers to remove the fuel filter plastic fuel clips, tried with some others but was so worried I'd break them! Wish it was just hose clips!

What I did do was crack on with fitting my new steerings wheel. With the old steering wheel the airbag is removed by torx headed screw, with the new one it's those annoying spring loaded clips where you push a screwdriver in.

My car has dual stage airbags, so this wheel fitted right in providing you have the slip ring to go with it. Pretty pleased with the wheel so far, can always re-fit the old one if I don't get on with it. Idea is that it looks relatively at home.

Some side by side pictures to show the differences etc, apologies for the lighting/over use of flash in a somewhat dark garage.

Comment

• That steering wheel looks nice! If you fancy offloading your old one.... I'd be very interested (mostly because of the estoril blue bits!)
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<
              2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
              2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

• Thanks, fraid I'm keeping the wheel as It belongs with the car, for future owners etc. I did think about trying to match the blue colour, slightly curious if i could put some blue highlights somewhere on the new wheel, although maybe it might look a bit too much!

Comment

• New wheel looks great and probably better still once used a little. Nice job mate!
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• Does look good

Comment

• So, went for a geo alignment today. After fitting the Z3 rack and new track rod ends it was of course way out. Also had to remove the steering wheel again and centre it.

Some wanted to know what the Z3 2.7 turns rack is like over the standard 3.2 turns.

In short it's nothing less than a revelation for me!!!

This is the single most dramatic improvement I have made to the way the car drives since buying it.

The new steering wheel is then the icing on the cake, the old one was actually a bit slippery as it was shiny even after sympathetic cleaning.

It's a real night and day difference! Why didn't they fit this rack from new??

The biggest improvement is that is it's not a variable rate rack like the original one, the dead feeling of the centre travel of the rack is now completely gone.

Suddenly you can feel the car and it responds quickly and consistantly, not the slow first bit of dead travel then the car turns in of the original.

And once you are turning the car now dives into a bend with great turn in and just feels so much better!!

Even manuevering is more pleasant, you can turn her quicker and more accurately at low speed.

It feels like it would also be much easier to hold or catch a slide if you wanted to.

Highly receomned mod that doesn't cost much. I bought a second hand Z3 rack for £150 and checked it over for pitting and wear, then painted the barrel and added new tie rods.

Even if you for some reason didn't like it it's not too tricky to go back.

The car now feels like the small chuckable car that it is, the agility was always there before but the standard rack just dulls it a lot.

Remember I have Eibach Springs, Bilstein B6 Dampeners, solid subframe bushes, all new top mounts and other bushes along with H&R anti roll bars, they made a big improvement but the steering rack is more so of a noticeable improvement for driving pleasure and fit's incredibly well with those other mods too.

After doing a full service she also rev's out a little more sweetly and in general I was buzzing from my drive today, the whole car now feels just amazing, putty in my hands!

Comment

• A few more trips with this mod on now, still pleased with it.

The only downside is perhaps that the car is not quite as relaxed to drive when you are going slowly and the steering is a mite heavier, but my confidence in chucking the car around is hugely improved now!

The new steering wheel is also nice although I wish is was a few mm thinner perhaps, I think the wheel needs to wear in a little with use for one thing.

Comment

• Small Update, I wanted to try adding a little extra sound deadening, in particular to try and tame a 2.5k drone of my hayward and acott exhaust.

I added a little more Dynamat Extreme to the boot floor, including the bottom of one of the thin plastic trays which seemed to be rather resonant.

I also put some inside the boot lid, another area that seems to resonate, it certainly rang less when tapping it after application etc

What was new to me was adding some Dynapad which is much thicker heavier sound deadening, made of foam and butyl rubber. Supposedly good for reducing low frequency noise.

I cut a sheet and it fitted quite neatly.

I didn't use a sound meter or anything but I was quite pleased by the results, it has reduced road noise a little and the exhaust drone is more bearable.

I could change the exhaust again but apart from a 40mph 2.5k point the exhaust sounds fantastic so I'll keep it.

Comment

• Enjoyed my first time of track in this car last week at an EVO evening track day.

Drove to a couple of work appointments in Kent and then on to Brands Hatch!

The upgraded and refreshed suspension came into it's own and gave me a lot of confidence in the car.

My brakes are standard apart from some PFC pads on the front. They held up better than I expected, didn't over heat or warp although I tried to be sensible with the number of laps I put in.

Fluid feels like it needs a change as the pedal is a tadge spongier now.

I think the grip to performance ratio meant i had to use the brakes less. Very different to the Giulia Quadrifoglio that I have used on the last couple of trackdays, that is a lot faster on the straights and it's pretty easy to cook the brakes in what is a heavier car.

Found myself working for it a lot more in the BMW but it was a lot of fun!

Comment

• Looking good! I'm on the Evo Track evening next week at Bedford.

Comment

• Originally posted by M1ke View Post
                                Looking good! I'm on the Evo Track evening next week at Bedford.
                                Thanks :) I Quite enjoyed the evening format, there were not too many cars and there was a good amount of space on track. Most of all there is not the temptation to do a crazy number of laps and cook everything! I do find on a full open pit lane day that it's an exercise in restraint!

It's also quite fun following a Mclaren 570S and saying to yourself "get out of the way and let me past" and a Subaru who was telling me he had 460bhp under the bonnet, predictably the Subaru "wasn't running right" so I was all over it in the corners and just behind it on the straight.

Shame I can't make the Bedford one, would be great to see two or three Coupe's on track!

P.S, for the record I finally got my oil sample back and it showed as all normal levels no signs of wear. Still wonder whether if I were to track regularly I should get rod bearings done :)
                                Last edited by urquattrogus; 01-09-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X