No announcement yet.

Getting my imola S50 into shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I collected my MC from Dent tech this afternoon. What an amazing job , the drivers door had 5 little dents in it and the passenger door had 2 dents in line with the door mirror. The 2x dents on the passenger door are about 95% improved, you can just make out where they were if you get down low in bright light but the drivers door is amazing, all 5x dents have completely gone with no trace, very pleased with the results. I will post the before and after pic's tomorrow, left my camera in my mates van. Cheers for all the info and help guys, I really appreciate it. Gaz

Comment

Here's the before pic. Not the best picture, I know, but you can just make out a couple of the dents below the door handle.

Gaz

Comment

Its worth fitting a one way valve to the supply line of the rear wash wipe if one hasnt already been fitted.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=valve&page=5

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
          Its worth fitting a one way valve to the supply line of the rear wash wipe if one hasnt already been fitted.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=valve&page=5
          Yeh, good little modification that Dave, I will get hold of one of those, just need to get the line to the rear wiper reattached first, noticed it was unattached a couple of days ago and was squirting washer fluid all over the engine bay and obviously none on the rear screen.

On another note, I took my car to a motor mechanic that was recommended to me today, to start on a program of preventative maintenance and servicing etc. He served his apprenticeship with North Oxford BMW and now runs his own little business, seems like a good man, will know for sure once he has completed the first lot of work, a new oil cooler bracket to replace the broken one, a new braided clutch line and a small service with oil change and filter, to start with, and plenty more planned for next month. He got the car up on the lift and gave it a preliminary inspection and thought that it was a good sound car with no major or urgent problems. Most of the work I have planned is for my own piece of mind and to get the car as mint as possible. I will be getting the valve clearances checked/ adjusted next month and a refurb of the cam cover at the same time.

Last thing today I took the car down to an old mate who runs a workshop in Witney, to get the air con regased, I thought that £49 was fair, unfortunately the condenser has a hole in it, which accounts for why the aircon was totally ineffective. Long story short, I now have a new condenser and dryer to be fitted on Tuesday, more money. On the bright side, looks like the vanos has been done at some point, much cleaner than the rest of the alloy components in the engine bay, it's not playing up either, so that's good. Anyway, despite the unexpected expense, I am looking forward to getting a few more things sorted out. I don't think I will ever grow tired of the attention the car gets, a bloke in a traffic jam yesterday couldn't stop complementing the car, what a very public midlife crisis I'm having, and i'm loving it. Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            Top stuff. How much did you get the screen for in the end?
            Sorry mate, just read my thread and noticed I haven't replied to your question. The glass was £100 and fitting was £80, total £180 + Vat £216.00. Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gazman View Post
              Sorry mate, just read my thread and noticed I haven't replied to your question. The glass was £100 and fitting was £80, total £180 + Vat £216.00. Gaz
              No problem, thanks!

Sounds like you're enjoying ownership!!
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Hey man, I didn't know it's possible to get them re-furbed. What's involved? Is the same company who supplied the new one, re-furbing the old one?

Comment

Last edited by Gazman; 04-08-2012, 09:17 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by breezer View Post
                    Hey man, I didn't know it's possible to get them re-furbed. What's involved? Is the same company who supplied the new one, re-furbing the old one?
                    You may be right but I believe that the scratch can be buffed out using special discs, I have seen them doing it on youtube to plate glass and believe it can be done to auto glass, although I might be completely wrong. The black can certainly be repainted so if the scratch can be removed the glass will be good to go again, I'm just going to store it for now, just in case, at the very least it could be used in an emergency, I will post any update to the refurb question. Gaz

Comment

This is the offside engine bay, reasonable but very grubby with a layer of what appears to be laqueur on the strut turrets and inner wings and a nasty cam cover and washer bottle.

Washer bottle caked in lime scale and grime inside.

Washer bottle after some attention

Everything cleaned and back in place.

I am going to do the cam cover properly in a few weeks time bit did a quick tidy up for now, coz it was hurting my eyes.

I'm quite pleased with the results of today's efforts but don't be fooled this took most of the day and I have only done half the engine bay. I should be able to do the other side tomorrow and also get the under side of the bonnet done as well.

I do have a little issue that someone may be able to help with, the rear washer line is just hanging, unconnected on the offside of the engine bay, just in front of the bulk head, does anyone know where this connects too ? Gaz
                      Last edited by Gazman; 04-08-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

What have you used on the paintwork under the bonnet as it looks very shiny?!
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                          What have you used on the paintwork under the bonnet as it looks very shiny?!
                          Just original T cut on the paint, meant to wax it to help keep it cleaner for longer but didn't get round to it. Gaz

Comment

I do have a little issue that someone may be able to help with, the rear washer line is just hanging, unconnected on the offside of the engine bay, just in front of the bulk head, does anyone know where this connects too ? Gaz

this is another common problem, the connection is inside the car and a real pain to reconnect. There are several posts regarding this on the forum, good luck

Comment

I don't think I've seen engine bay paint look so shiney.

The engine bay paint is usually more matt and a slightly different shade than the exterior as a different paint is used in the engine bay at the factory.

You can get it to shine a little but more of a dull sheen......

but your looks laquered and the same colour as the exterior ? (may be your camera auto adjusting colours), looks great :-)
                              Last edited by Jonttt; 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM.
                              VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                                I don't think I've seen engine bay paint look so shiney.

The engine bay paint is usually more matt and a slightly different shade than the exterior as a different paint is used in the engine bay at the factory.

You can get it to shine a little but more of a dull sheen......

but your looks laquered and the same colour as the exterior ? (may be your camera auto adjusting colours), looks great :-)

Yeh it's come up really nice. I'm trying to get the other side sorted out today but the rain keeps stopping play. I've had a quick look at the underside of the bonnet, while I unblocked the offside windscreen washer jet this morning and that's all good original factory paint as well, should buff up the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X