New Journal: Rhubarb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
    The car failed its MOT on the lambda reading, so I immediately went to the vacuum pipes as on the last car

They were shot so duly replaced. Special thanks to Dave for delivering a couple of items I forgot to order from the dealer in double quick time. Legend.

Also replaced the viscous fan coupling.

Another MOT booked at 4.30 tomorrow so hope for a pass

Did it pass?

Comment

Originally posted by issproking View Post
      Hi All

I've finally managed to track down somewhere that, after doing a bit of digging etc, fully trust them to carry out work underneath the car. Basically its the same work as has been doing in this thread eg Anti-corrosion treatment, subframe dropped and refurbished along with PowerFlex bushes replacing the existing perished ones. The inner sills will also be treated

Now that I have arranged this I am now starting wonder if it is the right thing to do. For example if I did decide to sell in the future wouldn't someone be potentially put off by this type of work thinking there must have been something major wrong? What's everyone thoughts on this? If you were a buyer would it put you off? The guy will be taking lots of pictures of the work as its being done so there will be a detailed portfolio of the underneath of the car so I am hoping that will provide good evidence.

Also, whilst the work is being done does anyone else have some recommendations for underneath? As I say all the bushes for subframe, diff training arm etc will be done.
      I wouldn’t be put off as a buyer. It’s sensible work to have done, given that our cars are circa 20 years old, and those that haven’t spent their lives as garage queens may well benefit from a tidy underneath. I’m saying this as somebody who’s just booked his car in to have the sill rails cleaned up and re-protected with anti stone chip product so that they last long term

If a car needed a considerable amount of patching up/welding underneath to rectify major issues, that might be a cause for concern for buyers, but a bit of tlc shouldn’t put anybody off in my opinion

Also, some buyers may not want the Powerflex bushes
      Last edited by Fat Tony; 14-05-2018, 07:03 PM.
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
        I wouldn’t be put off as a buyer. It’s sensible work to have done, given that our cars are circa 20 years old, and those that haven’t spent their lives as garage queens may well benefit from a tidy underneath. I’m saying this as somebody who’s just booked his car in to have the sill rails cleaned up and re-protected with anti stone chip product so that they last long term

If a car needed a considerable amount of patching up/welding underneath to rectify major issues, that might be a cause for concern for buyers, but a bit of tlc shouldn’t put anybody off in my opinion

Also, some buyers may not want the Powerflex bushes
        I'd hope that a potential buyer would also look at the MOT and HPI as evidence that the car didn't need major work

For me it just looks like a caring owner.

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
          Did it pass?
          It did, just

Still on the high side with emissions. It might need a good run to allow it to adapt to the (hopefully) more fuel being supplied as it will now hold a vacuum

Comment

One of the culprits

Comment

On Sunday I finally tackled the suspension after two years.

The KWV3 coilovers were set hard, which meant that the car was skipping over ruts in the road. In fact it was so bad that sometimes it felt like the wheels were leaving the road and crashing down.

The KWV3 are bump adjusted on the bottom and rebound on the top. Of course that meant I had to get to the top mounts. The roadsters have it so easy!

Weirdly the KWs weren't clicking on the adjustment so I had to count the number of turns available to work out where the stock settings were. I don't know if this suggests they may need servicing?

In had a look at the Cumbria show and the coilovers are adjusted by pins rather than his allen key adjustment. Apparently there was a changeover at some point (more info https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3Tuning.htm). I'd be keen to know when the changeover was to approximate the age of them, as I've no collateral with the suspension

Duly adjusted and the car feels so much better now, much more planted and comfortable. I feel so much more confident in pushing the car that little bit harder. Love it!

Comment

Nice work Martin 👍🏻
                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
                  On Sunday I finally tackled the suspension after two years.

The KWV3 coilovers were set hard, which meant that the car was skipping over ruts in the road. In fact it was so bad that sometimes it felt like the wheels were leaving the road and crashing down.

The KWV3 are bump adjusted on the bottom and rebound on the top. Of course that meant I had to get to the top mounts. The roadsters have it so easy!

Weirdly the KWs weren't clicking on the adjustment so I had to count the number of turns available to work out where the stock settings were. I don't know if this suggests they may need servicing?

In had a look at the Cumbria show and the coilovers are adjusted by pins rather than his allen key adjustment. Apparently there was a changeover at some point (more info https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3Tuning.htm). I'd be keen to know when the changeover was to approximate the age of them, as I've no collateral with the suspension

Duly adjusted and the car feels so much better now, much more planted and comfortable. I feel so much more confident in pushing the car that little bit harder. Love it!
                  Just to come back on this, I saw a KW stand at one of the shows (I think it was at Gaydon or Santa Pod) so asked the guys about why my coilovers weren't clicking.

Apparently there was a changeover c. 2007 where they went from Koni inserts to a proprietary setup. One the pre 2007 shocks a quarter turn is equivalent to one click.

This makes me question whether I should change the suspension as its rather old now and looking a bit tired on the springs. I'll either go for new KWV3s or a bilstein setup. Thoughts on a postcard...

On the carbon airbox I was having a misfire issue at idle which I wasn't sure whether it was down to the airbox or some other issue. I connected up the diagnostics which suggest that there is an issue with injector 4. This had been noted in some of the history so may need to get them cleaned or go for new ones =(

I've also taken the front end apart to change the power steering loop. Due to the corrosion some of the hoses are in poor condition and need to be replaced. One if which is linked below

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162723987042

£300!!!!!!

Ill try and find some good second hand ones!

I've also found a used parcel shelf. I damaged the paint on the top when I came to the Cumbria show carrying a mountain bike

Finally I have taken new sills, new rear wings, new front wings and the existing front bumper in for paint. The plan is to then have them wrapped in PPF so that they'll last longer and look good for years to come (the PPF will self heal in case of scratches)

So plenty going on!

Comment

I replaced that hose on mine a while back but I don't think it cost much more than £100 at the time, the hose looks nothing like the realoem picture. I must have sold the old one,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showp...43&postcount=4

Comment

• I'll admit my car does have a few parts removed as I restore the engine bay but I'm sure the PAS loop pipe just comes out of the gap at the front of the car between the bumper and fan shroud?

Comment

• Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        I'll admit my car does have a few parts removed as I restore the engine bay but I'm sure the PAS loop pipe just comes out of the gap at the front of the car between the bumper and fan shroud?
                        Well of course it does, but I'd rather do it whilst the bumper is in for paint and there is extra room ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post

I've also taken the front end apart to change the power steering loop. Due to the corrosion som

Finally I have taken new sills, new rear wings, new front wings and the existing front bumper in for paint. The plan is to then have them wrapped in PPF so that they'll last longer and look good for years to come (the PPF will self heal in case of scratches)

So plenty going on!
                          Good idea on the PPF!

Comment

• I've been busy improving the coupe over the past few weeks, including replacement of a few of the panels as they were looking a bit tatty.

Also replaced the cooling loop at the front as it was fairly corroded

IMG_20190106_122239 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

IMG_20190120_120307 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

The panels consisted of:
                            • 2x new sills
                            • 2x new rear quarters
                            • 1x new front wing
                            • 1x second hand wing in very good condition

The panels were primed, and painted in imola red using an existing panel for the colour match. It was sent to a paint supplier to make sure the colour match was spot on

In the paint booth

Painted parts by mnbrennan, on Flickr

Finished and polished

IMG_20190118_175430 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

I then took them to be wrapped in paint protection film to make sure they last. Due to the need to stretch the film, the detailer was only able to wrap the wings. The front bumper is too flexible and the sills too light and long to get a proper stretch, so I'll return with the parts on the car in the next couple of months

IMG_20190123_125723_106 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

IMG_20190123_125725_266 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

Prior to putting these back on the car, I'll be cleaning up underneath and liberally coating in Bilt Hamber Dynax UC.

At the moment I'm having fun removing the rear quarter panels. Any tips on separating the quarter from the rear bumper? The clips are a bit of a pain!

Comment

• Looking good Martin

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                                Looking good Martin
                                Thank Dave

I forgot to add that I got the front bumper resprayed as I wasn't happy with the previous job

Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X