My ///M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ///M Coupe

A story about my journey to and with the coupe since... hope you enjoy.

Well my first M Coupe experience was my dads friends, he had a black one, it looked awesome, I was 18 and into my cars, I wanted it... He took me for a spirited drive in it and that was when my love and appreciation of M cars began.

Fast forward a few years after owning a few high performance cars including S3's, Impreza STi, Golf R32, Cooper S Works etc I bought a E46 M3 in estoril blue. I loved it, had AST coilovers fitted and bbk and she was my little track rocket.

But then I got a bit bored (2 years owned), and started thinking about what to get next....

...an M Coupe! wieghed up the options, 2 seats no problems, bit older but I won't loose money etc. So I went for one.

Saw a couple of bad to really bad ones, paintwork in very poor condition to one where it was making very bad engine noises underload. Finally I saw this one north of Brum, and after a chat with the guy (who was a member on here) I took a trip up.

30 minutes later I was giving him a wad of my hard earned cash...

This was one of the oringal pics in the advert on PH

Spec when I purchased:- (April 2009)
    1999 M Coupe (Facelift)
    95,000 miles
    Titanium Silver
    Full Service History
    Remus Exhuast
    Black/Imola Interior
    New Vanos @ 90,000 miles from BMW Dealer

It was suffering from rear top mounts knocking when I bought it, but I like getting stuck into cars and working on them to 'get to know them'.
    So first job was to change all the top mounts so I knew they were all new. At the same time I changed the springs to H&R.

I also gave her a full service and changed all the filters and oil as this was due in a few thousand anyway.

She has been around the ring on a few trips now, and a couple of track days at castle coombe and brands. I've taken her round Europe and she has never missed a beat.

2010/2011--
    I changed all the speakers and amped them to give a better sound in the cabin, the old HU broke and was already changed to a Sony unit which was nice, and didnt stand out like some after market HU's.

I had the clearances and inlet's aligned, and did a few more small upgrades on things including a ITG airfilter.

2012--
    Well this was when she got in her first 'incedent' after some twerp 'didn't see me' and pulled out of a junction and going into the rear quarter of the car :(
    I was gutted...angry... and just annoyed

So off she went to Cotswold BMW where a new wing, rear bumper, tail light and rear arm was fitted followed by 4 wheel alignment.. I also had the Front Bumper and bonnet resprayed due to stone chips / rust spots coming on the nose of the bonnet, and a full car mop and polish.

When she returned she aws like new, I was very happy with the quality of the paintwork (Not so much the fitting of the new panels as I took it back so the aligned my rear bumper properly as one side was sticking out and one side sticking in too much) but other than that it is a grand job.

In the last 3 months she has had... Full Inspection 2 Service including plugs, fuchs 5/40 oil, new bushes all round (massive improvement on handling), Front and rear drop links, front hubs, Osram Bulbs, 4x Falken 452's, underside cleaned and screws/bolts replaced/renewed. Full set of 4 discs and yellow stuff pads. And an oil leak fixed :)

I still enjoy driving this car on a daily basis, learning the ever changing limits and amounts of sideways that is possible in different weather, the noise and the looks just keep me appreciating my 12 year old Coupe. It is one car I'm not going to sell and keep, even if one day I have to have a metro as a daily commute.

Currently working on brake ducting, refurb of wheels in black and replacing the seat bushes.... Then either BBK or Coilovers (Think it will be coilovers) :)

Current Spec now- Nov 2012 :-

1999 M Coupe
    145,000 miles
    Full Service History
    Remus Exhuast
    H&R Lowering Springs
    ITG Air Filter
    E46 Top Mounts
    Yellow Stuff Pads
    Osram Bulbs
    Sony Stereo HU & Pioneer Speakers
    Black Front Grille's

Cheers for reading :)
    Last edited by paulm3; 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM.
    ///Made for sideways action

we need more posts like this - thanks for taking the time

Comment

No probs, been meaning to do it for awhile! Atleast now I can post updates/pics on further work I do :) (By me I mean me or me and my BMW tech friend) :)

Comment

Well done reading this puts a smile on my face!

Comment

A great read, thanks! I really must get down to scribbling down my ownership story
          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Interesting read Paul!

Car looks really low in the action shot from the Ring!

My Yellow Stuff pads turned up today, need to find the time to fit them now!
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Nice to see the cars still running well! Still wish i never had to sell it though.

Comment

Good thread!!! Rear badge needs fixing

Originally posted by brettski View Post
                Nice to see the cars still running well! Still wish i never had to sell it though.
                Didn't realise you were on here too!!! That's your old M3 in my sig pic
                What car/s have you got now?

Click here to email me

Comment

Cheers bretski! Are you who I bought it off?

And Indy... If I pay.. Will you get a tattoo of a wonky M badge on your rear? Lol (not in anyway gay :) )

Comment

Originally posted by paulm3 View Post
                    Cheers bretski! Are you who I bought it off?

And Indy... If I pay.. Will you get a tattoo of a wonky M badge on your rear? Lol (not in anyway gay :) )
                    Ime in for this..S50 0r S54 ???

Comment

Haha! Lets start a new thread... M
                      'Donations for Indys wonky //M tattoo'

Comment

Watch whereabouts on your ass you get that M tattoo. Too close and we'd need to nickname you "Mo" :-)

CB
                        98 S50 Cosmos Black/Black interior (previously 98 S50 Estoril Blue/2 tone blue interior)
                        My band’s debut album Killer Diller by Drinking Bird Experiment is available on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and all the usual other digital outlets.
                        http://bit.ly/dbespotify
                        http://bit.ly/dbeitunes
                        http://bit.ly/dbeamazon
                        http://bit.ly/dbegoogle

Comment

who is gonna volunteer to confirm the right placement is selected.

hopefully not jonttt or one of the other roadster owners, as will be clenching very muchly

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                            who is gonna volunteer to confirm the right placement is selected.

hopefully not jonttt or one of the other roadster owners, as will be clenching very muchly

///M refers to Motorsports so you need to find swhere fits like right ankle, or neck maybe
                            I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                            sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

an question
                              m3 e46 compared to mcoupe
                              And how is drive the s3 vs sti vs an m power rwd?
                              I stay until to take an decision for trade the m coupe to one of that..
                              www.fastdrive.org
                              S50 black/black-red In Rome
                              Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Working...
                              X