Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member, looking patiently for the right Coupe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it S50 bashing day, blimey........ most people on this forum own a S50 and for many its there pride and joy, including me

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
      is it S50 bashing day, blimey........ most people on this forum own a S50 and for many its there pride and joy, including me
      Compared to 99% of engines out there its fantastic.
      Ex 2001 S54
      New cars:
      Lotus Carlton
      350Z

Comment

If you wish to pay 5k extra for some grey dials, all that is visually different when behind the drivers wheel, then go ahead. I've driven both and to be honest there really isn't much in it, as said the s50 is silky smooth compared to most engines anyway. Obviously the S54 is more desirable, but is it really worth the difference in $$$$, only YOU can decide.

Paul
        Last edited by Wav; 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I wouln't be put off an S50 - the right car will drive as well as an S54. I agree that an S54 would be more desireable - if cost and availability were no barrier. I personally decided that the extra cost/pain of waiting for the right car to come up was not worth it, depending on your pressure to buy/financial circumstances you may feel differently.

My S50 (1999) runs like a dream (92K miles, vanos replaced 2K ago) - lots of power, smooth delivery and no rattles. The simota induction kit gives it the nice extra noise which makes it sound better than a stock S54 (although I am clearly biased... )
          '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Woah... Thanks for all the input guys, but please, lets not get emotions get in the way of the S50/S54 debate - I have not tried to discount the S50, I have been relaying my honest thoughts and feeling towards both, in the hope of hearing your experiences and opinions. I know only too well it is a fantastic engine... You S50 boys can argue that BMW put two of your engines together to make the S70/2 (the V12 in a McLaren F1); pretty good bragging rights IMO ...

Earlier in this thread I was suggesting my preference is for an S54, but that is not purely down to the lump. Another tick-box on my ideal criteria, is for a later car - 2000 on perhaps, purely because I'll be coming from a 2003 which is completely mechanically sorted. I feel the later the better, unless I know the older car has been looked after by somebody who understands maintenance. Many people in my experience, spend more time touching up bodywork and on alloy refurbs than addressing preventive miantenance; subframe bushes and rubber engine boots that perish etc. I feel that a later car might give me more time to address such issues with the attention required, unless I can see the owner of an early model has the same attitude to maintenance as me.

My other feeling regarding the S50/S54 models is that if I ever did need a new engine at any point in the future (slim chances, but still), a low/average mileage S50 will be harder to find than a replacement low/average mileage S54 due to them still being made today.

Another is also service intervals. Although I do mid-interval oil changes myself, I still pay garages to do the main services to keep the book stamped up and FSH retained. I have an extra 5,000 miles each time with an S54 (S50 every 10k, S54 every 15k).

Believe me guys, I know the S50 is a masterpiece - some of the Evo's I have been in are insane - the engines love to be wrung close to the redline and the performance is truly staggering. So please don't think I am discounting it.

May I ask, how many of you all DO have a pro-active attitude toward maintenance? How many of you have a regular nose under the bonnet to check associated hoses, and who takes the time to get the car up on stands to check the drive-train, gearbox leaks etc? How many of you do most of the work yourself? How many people have swapped their gearbox oil for some uprated stuff because you don't believe this BMW 'sealed for life' spiel? I'm almost obsessive about replacing things to prevent failure of anything, hence I'll be looking hard to find the right car where I can see the owner has had the same attitude.

So, no hard feelings - both cars are utterly desirable, I just need to weight up all the points and get some viewings done to see which edges it over the line...

Keith

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

keith, as with any car purchase in my opinion always buy the very best you can afford, this may well be a S54!!, the problem seems to be that good cars are only around for a matter of days! so like N7KHO you need to have your skates on and be ready to buy straight away. good luck with the search

Comment

The perceived differences, inside or out, looking or driving are pretty small and few outside of actual owners (or wannabes!) would notice them at all. Actual differences are not insignificant:
                -More powerful and advanced S54 engine (developed for the E46 M3)
                -Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
                -Low tire pressure monitoring system
                -Revised gauges with grey backgrounds
                -Curved exterior M badges
                -RoadStar alloy wheels with Chrome Shadow finish
                -various interior/exterior colour option differences

The S54 is possibly more desirable as much for its lower production volume and hence rarity (168 against 821 European RHD) than for the actual differences, but the MC is a rare beast anyway.

Those with an S54 (me included) will no doubt feel smug about having the rarest, latest incarnation, with a more modern engine, extra gismos and a hoped for higher residual value. The rest will be more than content with the car that the S50 represents.

You pays your money and takes your choice but you are getting a fantastic car which ever way you jump.
                Col N.
                Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
                ex Audi S4 Avant
                ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
                ex Porsche 968

Comment

Originally posted by ZiggyCol View Post
                  You pays your money and takes your choice but you are getting a fantastic car which ever way you jump.
                  That's the bottom line right there...

Thanks Zig. I've made some enquires with regard to local cars (all S50), inc. possible test drives, so I'll shortly have a little substance to add to my thoughts.

Comment

My two pennies worth:

I have recently replace my RIP S50. When i first started thinking about a replacement i was hoping for an S54 just eacause i have had an S50 and wanted to see what the later model was like.

To cut a long story short. A low milage S50 with some nice mods (Racelogic and AP racing brakes) ex forum owner car came up local to me. Went to see it and bought it. I could have waited for the right S54 but the chances are i would have gone for an OK S54. As my 530 (auto) had lost reverse 3 month earlier I just didnt have the time to dedicate to a full on search and travelling up and down the country.

I would have loved an S54 but would rather take a "right" S50 over a S54 that was just ok. (if that makes sense).
                    EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                    Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

S50/S54....

Keith, great to have you on board, I have enjoyed reading your thoughtful, constructive comments and I can tell from your technical knowledge and non bias over either variant that you are definitely going to be a welcome addition to the forum.

Cheers!

Good luck with your search

Comment

nice looking car keith im sure youll have no trouble shifting it

ps check out your pm`s
                        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                          keith, as with any car purchase in my opinion always buy the very best you can afford, this may well be a S54!!, the problem seems to be that good cars are only around for a matter of days! so like N7KHO you need to have your skates on and be ready to buy straight away. good luck with the search

Hi Keith and all,

Whatever decision you make it will be the right one....trust your heart and jump quickly when you make the decision......Either way S50 or S54 they are great cars that quite simply for looks and performance cannot be matched......

Just wait till you kick it down into second on a bend, feel the rears dig in and propell you at Rocket speed out of the apex and past every other car on the road.......You will fall in love........
                          Sytners BMW-Steel Grey S54-Red/Black Leather-Totally Standard.....

Comment

Originally posted by N7KHO View Post
                            Hi Keith and all,

Whatever decision you make it will be the right one....trust your heart and jump quickly when you make the decision......Either way S50 or S54 they are great cars that quite simply for looks and performance cannot be matched......

Just wait till you kick it down into second on a bend, feel the rears dig in and propell you at Rocket speed out of the apex and past every other car on the road.......You will fall in love........
                            Read from post #16 onwards HERE

Very happy indeed mate

Comment

Just a quick observation on the whole S50 vs S54 thing - to me, the S54 is the better version for all the reasons noted above and it's hard to argue otherwise really etc.

But ... something I hardly ever see anyone mention is that some colours are only available in one or the other version and this may decide your choice.

For me, I only wanted Dakar, so had to have an S50. But certainly if Dakar was available in S54, I would have unquestionably bought an S54.

But as said above, both versions have all the same qualities that make me love this car.
                              2000 Dakar MC
                              1999 Cosmos Z3 2.8
                              2004 545i Sport

Comment

Keith,

If you ever read any advice about buying anything, (property, cars, horses etc.) you'll invariably be told to go and inspect several different examples of what you are wishing to buy in order to get "your eye in" so that you can then go and buy successfully. Whilst this sounds like good advice, whilst you are doing your research in this way you will probably come across at least one excellent example of what you are looking for and you'll instinctively know that what you are looking at is a real gem. My advice to you is this: trust your instinct when you spot what you think is a "good thing"! Buy it!

I've followed this throughout my life (I'm older than most on this forum) and it has served me well in many different aspects of my life. There is one poster on this forum who has been talking about buying an MC for ages and appears to have missed several excellent MCs that he could've bought but because he's looking for perfection and he doesn't seem to want to commit on anything less than a brand new car in his ideal colour combination, he's missing out on ownership until he eventually commits. Reality is far better than dreams!

Don't let colour be THE deciding factor. Personally, I would like a garage full of MCs in every colour except Evergreen and Black but I've had to settle on just one colour. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Good luck!
                                Last edited by exdos; 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM.
                                /// Exdos ///
                                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Working...
                                X