Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > General Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 AM

I believe from Jonttt's thread's in the past, there is an extra cable need for a dual stage airbag, that effects cards from some point in 1999. Jonttt would be best to comment on that. I believe he made his own
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received this from Carnewal after you asked which suggests the 2 options, with one of them carrying additional cost...

Translated by Carnewal:
-----
The Z3 has 2 versions of clock springs, also called coil springs :

Version 1: coil spring for BMW with 2-step generator
Module plug and module cable are fixed together to the coil spring
If the car has this coil spring, it will need to be replaced by coil spring
of picture 2.
BMW part nr 2229488 and costs 130 euro vat incl over here.
In addition the Z3 module cable 1220-1 is needed which costs 56 euro vat
incl.

Version 2:
Cars with M-technic steering wheels have already got the correct coil
spring. You only need module cable 1220-1

I think that Raid advises to replace the clock spring is to make the whole
installation more plug and play and without cutting.

Personally, I think that you can use the version1 clock spring.
The only issue, is that the Z3 has a 2 stage airbag whereas the Raid is a
single stage airbag.
A far cheaper solution would be to cut off the main airbag connector and
connect the 2 wires with a Raid airbag connector.
Then cut off the plug of the secondary stage airbag and connect the 2 wires
to a resistor.
This to avoid the airbag light to go on.
-----

My car in November 99 build so I think 2 stage airbag

Christ, just when I thought I knew what I needed! I should have gone for a replica ACS roofwing instead... much easier to understand what the hell I need there

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Last edited by Fat Tony; 02-08-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM

I wasn't aware of any difference in the "clock spring" / slip ring. I went searching through all this years ago when I fitted mine to a 99 2-stage car. All you need is the E36/Z3 hub adaptor and the steering wheel. The rest is DIY'd.

A pretty much perfect fit on the RAID airbag socket is an internal 2-pin connector from a PC those that look like jumper switches but have wires to them. This is what I used when I fitted mine years ago. I also have some spare 3.3ohm resistors if anybody wants one, this is to bridge your 2nd airbag circuit.

Make sure battery is disconnected whilst it's all done to avoid airbag light (and good practice/essential for it to be disconnected before removing an airbag anyway).

Last edited by c_w; 02-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM

1) Fat Tony
2) Gooner14
3) Breezer. Phase 1, non-perforated, no writing!
4)
5)

If enough of us do this, we might end up making it a legitimate mod for the MC, in the same way that replacing the Chassis in an old Lotus Elan actually adds value, rather than reducing it... ;)

Last edited by breezer; 02-08-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
I wasn't aware of any difference in the "clock spring" / slip ring. I went searching through all this years ago when I fitted mine to a 99 2-stage car. All you need is the E36/Z3 hub adaptor and the steering wheel. The rest is DIY'd.
Cheers Chris. I may be asking to book my car in with you

Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner14 View Post
I believe from Jonttt's thread's in the past, there is an extra cable need for a dual stage airbag, that effects cards from some point in 1999. Jonttt would be best to comment on that. I believe he made his own
I've posted up on Zroadster to Acemans thread to encourage people over to check this out as I think its that good a mod. I know there are a few looking.

The price looks very good. When I researched / sourced mine a few years ago you where looking at c£700 all in. Thats when the euro was virtually 1:1 though.

I have the perforated one which is great and I think still looks OEM. To answer someones question on another thread the idea behind perforated leather is that your skin do not sweat as much. In practice on a steering wheel I don't think this make any difference and so its more cosmetic. If I had the choice again I would go perforated.

Re the single stage v dual stage difference (pre 04/99 cars are single stage) the only difference is the wiring adaptor. The hub adaptor is the same and you use the original slip ring. Its just the way the slip ring connects to the wheel that you can buy an adaptor for a dual stage system (you get the single stage adaptor by default with the Z3 hub adaptor kit unless they have changed the way they sell them).

In practice you can make one yourself ie get the single stage hub and adaptor kit and all you do it make up a second wire from the slip ring to the 2nd circuit on the car with a 3 to 3.5ohm resistor to fool the dual stage system that a dual stage wheel is fitted. The only important thing is you connect the wheel to stage one and bridge stage 2 circuits.

But if you have the choice at the same cost of getting a 2 stage hub adaptor and wiring harness you may as well spec that. If its more than a few quid more I would not bother and make you own bridging wire.

Have a look at my guide which gives you all of the wiring and also how to connect so you can make it a straight / easy swap back (I could fit my OEM wheel back on in 5 minutes).

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...p?f=18&t=23787
Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 AM

I am all for this buy...I actually need two. if someone could tell me if I have a dual or single stage airbag, that would help:

2002 s54 M coupe (US spec)
1999 s50b32 M coupe (European spec) - I will check on the month it was built.

The only other thing I am thinking about is where is the 'horn' button? I thought Raid's had silver 'thumb' buttons for the horn?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 AM

i think the swapover date from single to dual, was around 03/99, only way to check would be to remove the airbag and take a pic of the plug/connectors

im not sure if this is true (i read it about E36's)
apparently US spec E36's didnt have a dual stage airbag (im talking about E36 3 series) i dont know if that applied to M Coupe's (S52/S54) too

Click here to email me
Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM

Why in the world do you guys fit such an awful looking steering wheel to your beautiful cars?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer mxm View Post
The only other thing I am thinking about is where is the 'horn' button? I thought Raid's had silver 'thumb' buttons for the horn?
I emailed Carnewal again this morning to ask. On the Silberpfeil model, the horn buttons are beneath the leather. There is apparently a small horn icon shown on the leather.

Because each order will be placed individually via their website, they are willing to apply a discount to any of the available Raid models. It'll just be a case of quoting a group buy code on your order. I'll distribute that code once we have the 5 orders required to initiate the discount. No further discount available for more than 5 orders.

For the Cavallo Race (710311) for example, the price is 405 euro instead of 440 euro ex vat

Hope this helps chaps, and don't forger the type printed across the airbag is an option that can be removed. Thankfully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8flex View Post
Why in the world do you guys fit such an awful looking steering wheel to your beautiful cars?
Personally, I think they look and more importantly, feel so much better than the OE wheel, while still retaining an OE sort of finish that doesn't look out of place in the MC. And of course, they retain an airbag.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 03-08-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Tags
raid