Becker Rocks the Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becker Rocks the Coupe

When I pulled out the utterly rubbish standard head unit about 4 weeks ago I just stuck it a very nice Alpine unit (9850i) that I had in my previous car but immediately didn't like how it looked, a bit to 'bling' despite it kind of matching with the blue/silver dash:

So that had to go and it's easy to see what is pretty much the best fit/look for the Coupe with a stack of great features to boot... Becker Grand Prix. Quick look around the Sextons Direct website (spin off from the Southampton Sextons store, not an official Sextons site) had the best prices on the unit (£254.99) along with the iPod harness (£59.99). Dropped them an email only to find they had none of the iPod harness in stock, only place that did have them wanted £99 + shipping!

The Monday I get a call from Sextons to say they just got off the phone from Becker and they'd been promised a grand total of 1 (yes, just 1!) iPod Harness for the next day, and they knew I wanted one so said if I am OK to put the order through there and then they would add the harness to their site so I could buy it... needless to say I bit their arm off!

Wednesday the Grand Prix and iPod Harness arrive all sealed up from the Becker factory, so I excitedly open the box and am quite surprised at how un exciting the packing is! OK it works but it's minimalistic... I guess that's the German's for you

So did the pretty straight forward install that afternoon, iPod in glovebox and mic up the drivers A pillar... done... until we boot it up and punch in the supplied keycode only to have it not work... 3 goes and your locked out for an hour!

Not happy... but too late in the day to contact Sextons Direct. Soooooo next morning drop them an email along with some pics of the serial number and code on the card and they call me back within 20 minutes, they had already called Becker and wanted me to check the serial number on the box/card compared to that on the actual headunit itself... no surprise that the headunit had a DIFFERENT serial number, and therefore the code I had was incorrect. Confirmed that to Sextons and another 15 minutes later they are back on the phone saying that Becker have had this happen to someone else a week ago... so it looked like at the Becker factory 2 headunits got mixed up and put in the wrong box. No biggie as Becker gave them the code and that worked a treat, so finally it was working!

Just want to say that I can't recommend Sextons Direct enough... they were extremely quick to sort it out and kept me informed with regular emails and phonecalls. I will certainly be using them again and can highly recommend them: http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/

So after a bit of drama (sorted within 1 hour of contacting Sextons) I'm totally chuffed with the Becker as it looks great and does everything it's supposed to very very well indeed

Got a few niggly things I want to sort out (it is the kind of unit you have to read the instruction manual!) but it looks and sounds great... just got to get around to fitting the new front speakers as the standard ones can't cope with anything remotely bassy.

Sorry for the waffle... but here are some more pics: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/mcoupe_stereo.asp

I like the minimalist look! You have got a great system for only £350. That Alpine unit looked terrible - didn't suit the Z3MC atall.
    Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Snap!

Looks great.
      Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
      In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

That looks fantastic. What kind of security does the unit have....is the face plate removable?
        2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Yeah the centre faceplate comes out (it's the panel that fips down for putting a CD in)... ther is also a blinking LED in the panel that you can disable if you like.

TBH though it's such an OEM looking thing and just looks pretty base that I doubt you'd really need to remove the face plate anyhow (I don't bother personally).

Comment

I have a becker mexico, anyone want it?

Comment

can we focus on the important thing here......he was listening to kate nash!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I see nothing wrong with that TBH

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                  If its free then yes. (I take it your being sarcastic and don't like it)
                  Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                  In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                    what version of Becker Mexico do you have?
                    Affysmooth

Comment

Originally posted by Jonmurgie View Post
                      I see nothing wrong with that TBH
                      I'm only bitter as I had the same headunit boxed and new (never got round to fitting it to my last car)....decided I wanted to keep the interior of the mc original so sold it.....now wishing i'd kept it as it looks quite smart.

Comment

Working...
                      X