The dreaded “which oil” question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded “which oil” question

My 1998 S50 will be due a service and a few minor jobs as spring is around the corner. I have just called Dick Lovett Bristol who said Shell 10w/60 is their recommended oil for my car at a whopping £20 a litre......and I’ve searched opie oils (5w/40 & 0w/30 were the results) and eurocar parts with my registration inserted and all of them give different results/recommendations/grades. Fairly confusing.

I know this is a famous forum debate but does anyone have an oil recommendation that they have used for years without issue?

I think you will get a different answer from everyone you ask, I used 10/60 for years without any issues but mileage was very limited but now my local inde doesn't recommend this grade.

Comment

Some more details here but thread is now 4 years old so details may have changed,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18336

Comment

Thanks Dave, looks like I’ll go for the 5w40 having read the thread and spoken to my mechanic. Leaning towards Castrol Edge from Opie.

Comment

Castrol Edge 5w40.

Comment

Mr Vanos doesn't recommend using 10w 60!

Stick with 5-40

Comment

Is this the one people are going for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-E....c100033.m2042

Comment

That’s what I ended up buying, it’s not in the car yet though. I bought from Opie via eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by 4xhausts View Post
                  That’s what I ended up buying, it’s not in the car yet though. I bought from Opie via eBay.
                  great thanks

Comment

My friend has the same 1998 S50, he uses Castrol EDGE TITANIUM 5W-40 Engine Oil for a long time, he has done modification in his vehicle and he also uses this for Motorcycle Towing Service and that's working good I also have driven that vehicle.

Comment

When I used 10W60 in my S50 the oil temperature got up a bit since it takes more energy to pump it round. That said the engine obviously is engineered for a lower grade so I would stick to 5W40 although there are enough people using 10W60 (on tracks) and never have problems.

Most important is:

Good quality oil (duh..): Motul, Mobil 1, Castrol, Shell Ultra etc.
                      Reduce service internal to a max of 12.000km/7500ml
                      Stick to a max of 2 years interval.

Oil degrades rapidly after 2yrs/12.000km. And more important than viscosity is the amount of pressure the oil film can handle. I know Motul always has quite a good value for this rate.

Comment

Royal Purple is what you want
                        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Working...
                        X