Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video clip of my Vanos - on its way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video clip of my Vanos - on its way out?

Just after a bit of advice!

I think my vanos is starting to get a bit noisey, when the revs drop down to about 1500. Idle is also getting a bit lumpy at times.

My car has a BMW warranty so i really want to try and get it done if it is going..

Anyway if you have time have a listen here is the link hope it works!

http://media.putfile.com/Vanos-92
    Ex S54 - She has gone....

I have the same noise(maybe not that bad, but I have no idea how would my vanos sound on tape) worn vanos gears. I get them changed when I have time and money :)

But it isn't actually that serious, it is just the gears that make the noise, so vanos should work perfectly despite the noise. Your warranty may cover the vanos noise so I would let BMW dealer to check it.
    S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
    Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

That was really interesting to compare with the noise that i'm getting at idle at the moment and don't think it's as bad as that. I'd certainly get that looked at for peace of mind, especially if you've got the EW.

The other chaps on the forum should be quite knowledgeable about the problem.
      98S Estoril

Comment

Thanks, I want to be as clued up about it as possible before going to the dealer!

I have had the car 5 weeks now and the noise has only recently developed i would be annoyed if i did not have EW

Comment

Hi,

I've been given advice this week from other forum members regarding this. Have a look at
          the technical forum and my subject 'Vanos Gears'. Unfortunately I don't have EW so will be
          paying for the fix myself but, as others have mentioned, I won't be rushing into it.

I hope you get it sorted under the Warranty.

Comment

As posted in the 'Vanos gears' thread, my M54 Vanos is noisy video here.

This has been to the dealer twice and they're adamant that it's quite acceptable/expected from these engines. (Many others that I've heard do it.)

No need to panic imo, but my S50 doesn't do it at all, which concerns me.

I can't get my head around why the noise is load related, I'd assume that only while the timing is actually being retarded that the cam driving load would be lightened.

Once it's been retarded the cam drive should be loaded again imo.

Any suggestions?
            Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Vanos issues !

Ok guys i just came through the other side of some vanos troubles .... My problem was an un-even idle speed, my main dealer said oxygen sencer after doing a diagnostic . This was replaced but did not clear the fault .After further diagnostics i was hit with a vanos bombshell. The only repair was replacement ....doh, after 16500miles i wasnt too impressed .Bmw wanted 1100 pounds for the vanos plus 800 for fitting and they wanted vat ontop .i had no warrenty and was warned that too much use with this fault COULD lead to burning out the valves eventually scrapping the engine .(not trying to scare anyone honestly thats wat i was told )So the long search for a vanos began .... new comes with a gaurentee but second had is alot cheaper but no gaurentee of fixing my fault .I eventually got a new unit and camshaft gears for 700 off ebay , and through a friend at my local bmw dealership i paid 200 for fitting the vanos and 200 for fitting the camshaft gears , now she is running perfect ,smooth and swift , hope i was some help to this thread !

Comment

hmmmm...

this is an interesting post really.

I looked at two MCoupes yesterday and they BOTH had what would appear to be the same sounds as your video.

For one of them, it doesnt matter as it was a horrible car.

However, the other car was immaculate, with only a couple of marks here.

The engine itself sounded a bit ticky on tickover and had the same 'rattle' from 2000---> 1000revs.

Now my dilemma is that do I take the risk? or am I walking into a ticking timebomb?

Or is paranoia taking over?

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Rags

Rags
                  maybe a bit! just take the jump!

Comment

Originally posted by B3N

Rags
                    This is the sound of the Vanos on the green MCoupe I looked at.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV00327-65

Let me know what you guys think.... :shock:

Comment

Makes mine sound perfectly healthy :shock: what was the rest of the car like

Comment

Originally posted by B3N

Rags
                        This is the sound of the Vanos on the green MCoupe I looked at.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV00327-65

Let me know what you guys think.... :shock:
                        Hard to tell but that sounds pretty much the same as mine.

I have taken mine to BMW and looks like it going in for new Vanos gears the week after next, Thank good for EW!

Comment

Working...
                        X