No announcement yet.

My Imola Red S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refurbed calipers arrived today, can you spot the mistake.....

Yep, two passenger side calipers, didnt realise till i went to put the drivers side on and the hose fitting was at the bottom. Another caliper to be delivered tomorrow hopefully......

Comment

If you've read my other thread you'll know the car was written off due to fire damage while getting the boot floor welded.

I got the car back on Tuesday this week which was the first time I'd seen the car.

The only sign of fire from the outside was the windows, no damage to paint only a few black marks which came off at the car wash.

The trim missing from this photo I had removed before the work so still had that in my garage.

Rooflining made things look worse than it was as when this was removed the wiring above it was untouched as the fire hadnt managed to get through the material.

Overall the damage didn't look too bad, certainly not anything that couldnt be sorted out relatively cheaply if I was willing too put up with a few compromises. So i started to strip out all the burnt pieces of interior to see what was left. While doing this i realized just how much of a mess powder extinguishers make, it had gotten absolutely everywhere so the only way to get rid of it was to strip the entire interior near enough.

Basically every piece of interior was covered in powder, the inside of the dash especially. I've basically spent the last three days stripping the interior and cleaning, went round the whole car about three times with a water spray and cloths and this is the result after putting most of the interior back in.

I'm still missing the trim around the left rear window and seatbelt and a few pieces from the right hand side. Rooflining is still removed but should be getting a second hand one delivered soon along with a few other pieces. The dashboard I'm going to try and clean up best I can and then just put up with some marks where its been burnt directly, perhaps replace it sometime in the future but the hassle of removing it and the cost doesn't make it worth it for me, would rather have the money in my pocket.

The only thing which affected driving the car was the speed sensor wiring which had burnt through leaving me with no speedo, managed to get this rewired yesterday and all has been fine since. The car at the moment is away getting the seats and doorcards retrimmed along with a couple of bits of trim and will get new gaiters for the gearknob and handbrake. Have decided to go for "technosuede" for the black parts of the seat and replaced the red with leather, seat shells are going to be covered in the technosuede aswell so will see how that turns out.

This is how the car will stay until around October which is the next time I'll be able to spend a lot of time on it and might even go for some KW V3 as a treat.....

Comment

Glad to see its coming back together

Comment

Well done and at least now you won't have the precious complex that can happen with cars like this. Fix it and drive it like a rental. Top stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by itsdashy View Post
            Well done and at least now you won't have the precious complex that can happen with cars like this. Fix it and drive it like a rental. Top stuff.
            Like a rental (my old Audi dealer gave me an s5 ONCE)

Glad to see her coming back together, just take your time

Comment

Little bit of an update. No more work going to be done on the car for a couple of months now due to work but was driving it for a few days after getting the seats retrieved and still feels exactly as it did before the fire (steering wheel and pedals are a bit squeaky though and I have no stereo).

Like I said managed to get the seats retrimmed a couple of weeks ago and im very pleased with the result. I think the leather used was ruby nappa and then I went for "Alston technosuede" for the black parts of the seats. As the shell on the back of the passenger seat was a bit melted I got those covered in the suede aswell along with the same material for the gearknob and handbrake gaiter and also the a pillars which had some damage to the covering but not the plastic.

Couple of pictures (still haven't worked out how to post pictures on iPad)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanw89/9459577020/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanw89/9459577164/

I think when I get the chance and have collected the rest of the trim for the b and c pillars and round the rear windows I will get that done in the suede aswell but felt I had to get the seats done ASAP to make the car comfortably driveable.

Next thing I need to look at is what to do with the stereo as it seems upgrades for the harrman kardon system aren't very common.

Comment

They look really good

Comment

They look good Alan, a nice alternative to what can look like old shiny black leather!
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Is that an osir shift knob?

Seats look great btw

Comment

I was surprised by how much gripper they feel compared to the old leather, really seem to hold you a lot better.

It's a storm motorwerks knob, makes a big difference to the gear change surprisingly.

Comment

Time for another update but thought id have a recap as well, mostly so i can put everything in one place to remind me whats been done....

So back to February when I bought the car.

Standard 86Kish miles, just needed a little bit of sorting out as from what I remember it had only done a few hundred miles in the previous year but nothing major. So i took it to get any work required done, this included:

Free off and clear seized bleed nipples
                        Fit braided brake hoses
                        Fit braided clutch hose
                        Flush and change brake fluid
                        Bleed brake and Clutch
                        Clean and protect brake pipes
                        Replace exhaust mounts
                        Replace front wishbone bushes
                        Flush and change gear box oil
                        Replace rear shock top mounts
                        Flush and change gear box oil
                        Clean engine and fix oil leak (from constant pressure valve)
                        Replace front tie rods
                        Wheel alignment
                        Fit lowering springs

Also bought a storm motorwerks gear knob to add a bit more weight to the gearshift as I found it a bit awkward at first and changed some bulbs and wipers etc.

Then the car was parked up for a few months, and when i came back the brakes had seized so ended up with 2 new calipers and on the front with yellowstuff pads. While I was doing these jobs and as it was the summer and te weather was nice it seemed like the perfect time to check out the boot floor. In hindsight i wish i hadn't bothered but this is what i found.

Not that bad but i figured i should get it sorted before it became an issue. well to cut a long story short while being repaired the car went on fire and it was written off by the garages insurance as they said they would need to replace the whole interior. I got the settlement from the insurance and weighed up the options and decided to buy the car back and do what I could with the interior but knew it would never be perfect, mainly because i couldnt justify spending the money on certain areas which were marked but not a big deal if i could do it cheaply.

Picture of the damage....

During the clean up

Half way there..

Seat Re-Trim

This is when I had to park the car up again for a bit but this time made sure it got driven every now and then to prevent a repeat of any problems of the last time. It also brings us up to the last couple of weeks where i've finished fitting most of the interior and used the car as a bit of a workhorse

First of all it went for an MOT which i was worried about, i knew one of the front discs was warped from when i had a sticky caliper, the airbag light was on from when i had the seats out and i thought it would need a new set of tyres. well as i expected it failed but there were no big surprises and the tyres turned out to be ok. Was also due an Inspection 1 and a few things i wanted done, this is what was done:

Indicator Bulbs replaced (failed MOT because they were the wrong colour)
                        Clear airbag light
                        Replace front discs
                        Replace rear discs
                        Replace rear pads (Yellowstuff)
                        Deglaze front pads
                        replace brake pad wear sensors front and back
                        clean sticking caliper slides
                        Check and adjust tappet clearances
                        Replace cam cover gaskets
                        Renew spark plugs
                        Flush and change oil and filter
                        Replace vanos bolts, filter and seals
                        Repair broken wire on exhaust solenoid
                        Replace cracked drive belts
                        repair rear washer jet and remove and clean washer bottle and pick up.

Im also almost finished putting in the interior, managed to get a second hand subwoofer and headlining, bought some new speakers and treated myself to a new alpine headunit for my iphone.

Also got the storm motorwerks handbrake handle to go with my gearknob and new suede/alcantara gaiter.

Just need to put a couple more bits in but they require taking out half of what ive already put in and i dont fancy working outside for a few hours to do it so might leave it a while, think ive gotten used to a bit of bare metal now.....

I also bought some black wheels and tyres on here and fitted those as the tyres had better tread and hope to get my original ones refurbed at some point as there looking a bit tired but the black wheels have grown on me.

Have driven the car about 1200 miles in the last week doing all sorts and apart from an oil leak which caused me a bit of panic at first but turned out to be the vanos filter it has been fine, although perhaps a little more rattly after having all the interior out.

Don't think the car will ever be the same as it was before the fire as there's some little niggles and areas that i'm not willing to spend money on sorting now, but i also don't feel worried about really using the car now, will definitely be looking into a trackday after winters over.

will need to get some updated pictures as the only two i have dont paint the car in a very good light lol

Second hand parts come wit a lot of packaging

Trying to find my oil leak......

Comment

Nice to see you have it up and running again
                          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Latest Addition:

For anyone looking for a rack that fits the above is:

Thule Wingbars 960
                            Thule Fitting Kit 3065
                            Thule Foot Pack 753
                            Thule 591 Proride

The only modification needed is to trim part of the bottom of each foot end cover as the curve of the roof means it touches. The back window does hit the back of the bike carrier when you open the boot fully but think i can just slide the carrier forward a bit.

Comment

You might have convinced me to plasti dip my wheels black

Comment

The black really has grown on me since ive had them on, got some spacers to fit as well (just need the bolts) and then i think it will look just how i want on the outside.

Don't know whether to get my spare wheels done in silver or shadow chrome now if I get them re-furbed.

Comment

Working...
                                X