New clutch on EW???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clutch on EW???

If I recall someone posted a while back about having their clutch replaced on extended warranty. Who was it???

My stealers have said that mine is slipping (at 26k miles) and it's not covered.

As a general rule, as the clutch is a consumable, it wouldn't normally be covered.
    The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
    RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

Originally posted by Trundler
      As a general rule, as the clutch is a consumable, it wouldn't normally be covered.
      True and that's my opinion....but if someone else has had it done under EW I want it too!!!!

Comment

Not had a clutch but just had a accelerator cable changed that was stiff..

I have found with anything on EW you just have to push them to cover it!
        Ex S54 - She has gone....

Comment

Originally posted by AJL
          Not had a clutch but just had a accelerator cable changed that was stiff..

I have found with anything on EW you just have to push them to cover it!
          Yeah tell me about it!! I've tried with this and they're not having any of it. I am also (hopefully) getting a new set of wheels as they all have rust spots on. They have said that one of the wheels won't be covered as it is curbed...the curbing is no where near the rust so I should be able to push them into it!

Comment

i thought your car had those black ones on?

Comment

Originally posted by j1muv
              True and that's my opinion....but if someone else has had it done under EW I want it too!!!!
              and people wonder why the warranty has gone up so much :roll:
              Gruppe M
              EBC redstuff Pads
              EBC drilled and grooved discs
              Braided brake lines
              Gun-metal alloys
              Strong Strutt
              KW Variant 3

Comment

Originally posted by p 5ary
                No thats not true, the contributing factors to the warranty prices rising are financial legislation.

But the real reason why BMW have been screwing themselves is by replacing whole mechanisms etc when a fix is the better/cheaper option in terms of logic.

For example, my e46 m3 had a corroding mirror base(as the bases were Ally) and instead of repainting the base, the extended warranty meant I had the whole unit replaced(mirror, electrics, housing) fitted and painted.

:roll:

Its rather daft to just attributea slipping clutch to simple wear and tear as there could have been a mechanical defect which had caused it.
                The problem is, there are too many idiots who insist on dumping clutches and riding clutches, which has meant clutches are a wear and tear item. Soon gearboxes will be like that judging by some of the people who drive their 'exotica' at work.

Comment

Had mine changed at about 81K miles on EW.
                  Just going over the receipt again and yes they changed the clutch disc and drive, clutch release bearing and flywheel all under EW.

I suppose if the dealer can argue that it is a manufacturing defect then the warranty people will cover it. At 26K miles it can be argued that way unless they have proof that the car has been thrashed!
                  Cheers

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

I will not be extending my warranty and this is just an attempt to get as much as I can out of it before it expires. If the price had not gone up I would not be 'nit picking' to put as much on the warranty as possible. They have bought this on themselves.

Pay for it myself Vs. FOC - I'd be a fool not to try!!

I know one of the mechanics at my local stealers and had a chat with him about it. He suggested at 26k it should be covered. He reckons if I take the car in and say that the clutch is now juddering and suggest that this could be a distorted fly wheel they'll replace the fly wheel and clutch under warranty! Sounds like what they did with yours Greenbat?

Comment

I will not be extending my warranty and this is just an attempt to get as much as I can out of it before it expires. If the price had not gone up I would not be 'nit picking' to put as much on the warranty as possible. They have bought this on themselves.

Pay for it myself Vs. FOC - I'd be a fool not to try!!

I know one of the mechanics at my local stealers and had a chat with him about it. He suggested at 26k it should be covered. He reckons if I take the car in and say that the clutch is now juddering and suggest that this could be a distorted fly wheel they'll replace the fly wheel and clutch under warranty! Sounds like what they did with yours Greenbat?
                      I've just had my clutch and flywheel replaced, not under warranty unfortunately. Clutch £250, flywheel £470 for a standard BMW one + 10 hours labour. If you can swing it get them to replace it with a competition/racing flywheel. They are only £100 more than the standard and BMW admitted to the garage that did mine that the standard flywheel isn't great. The benefit of the upgraded flywheel is amazing!

Good luck.
                      Ex - S50 Estoril
                      Current - TVR T350C

Comment

Originally posted by Hoolio
                        I've just had my clutch and flywheel replaced, not under warranty unfortunately. Clutch £250, flywheel £470 for a standard BMW one + 10 hours labour. If you can swing it get them to replace it with a competition/racing flywheel. They are only £100 more than the standard and BMW admitted to the garage that did mine that the standard flywheel isn't great. The benefit of the upgraded flywheel is amazing!

Good luck.
                        This is interesting! Can anyone suggest a decent flywheel for me to look into?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoolio

Good luck.
                          This is interesting! Can anyone suggest a decent flywheel for me to look into?
                          BMW themselves can supply a competition/racing flywheel, cost me £570+VAT. The difference is amazing, rev's quicker and gear change is much quicker and smoother, really has transformed the car.

I'm sure CA Automotive can supply too.
                          Ex - S50 Estoril
                          Current - TVR T350C

Comment

Working...
                          X