Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brake Kits under standard rims?

Gents,

I have been looking at possibly changing my brakes of late which has led to the inevitable look at Big Brake Kits (partly for the improved asthethics!). I dont envisage changing my standard wheels at the moment so what BBK's can be squeezed under the 17's?

I have seen the standard offerings from AP racing etc but dont fancy spending the best part of £2k on a new set.

I know people have taken Porsche (Brembo) calipers and fitted these but will these go under the standard wheels or do these set-ups need 18's?

Any advise as always is more than welcome.

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

i had stoptech 4pot kit of 322 disk whit 16mm spacer stay fine on oem disk(355 disk can't fit 17), m coupe whit ap racing my friend fit 10mm spacer,also i see whit tarox,brembo,movit,willowod,ksport on oem wheels
    www.fastdrive.org
    S50 black/black-red In Rome
    Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Wheels vary between designs - I don't think the OEM 17" rim is particularly generous for brake clearance but a lot of is the caliper design too, for example below is a 17" rim over a 355mm disc;

Comment

AP's four pot kit for E36 does fit under OEM 17" rims but requires a 5mm spacer to clear. I think their 6 pot version needs 18" wheels.

You may drop lucky and get a 2nd hand kit and not have to spend £2K....I did.
        Last edited by fok; 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
          Gents,

I know people have taken Porsche (Brembo) calipers and fitted these but will these go under the standard wheels or do these set-ups need 18's?

Cheers
          Ian

18" wheels or above with the Porsche/E46 CSL set up

Comment

you can buy a kit from Rallyroad which alloys you to use a E46 M3 325mm front disc and Porsche Brembo 4 pot caliper which can be used with a 17" wheel

http://www.rallyroad.net/content/bmw...apter-brackets

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              Wheels vary between designs - I don't think the OEM 17" rim is particularly generous for brake clearance but a lot of is the caliper design too, for example below is a 17" rim over a 355mm disc;
              From a purely looks point of view they do look great. Shame they would probably not fit under a Roadstar alloy then. Any idea what setup that is Chris?

Originally posted by fok View Post
              You may drop lucky and get a 2nd hand kit and not have to spend £2K....I did.
              Now that would be ideal, I have looked on Ebay etc but nothing to date.

Originally posted by dave p View Post
              you can buy a kit from Rallyroad which alloys you to use a E46 M3 325mm front disc and Porsche Brembo 4 pot caliper which can be used with a 17" wheel

http://www.rallyroad.net/content/bmw...apter-brackets
              Cheers Dave, didnt find them on my trawl of the net. Will have a look at that then.

Its just that by the time I have spent money on new standard discs, yellow stuff pads etc I want to see how much more £££'s would get me into a bigger and better setup.
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                From a purely looks point of view they do look great. Shame they would probably not fit under a Roadstar alloy then. Any idea what setup that is Chris?

Its on an AUDI of some kind found online, "This is a Volk SE37K 17" with a 355mm rotor and Alcon B-Type caliper."

Always remember an early Max Power from the mid/late 90s before it went stupid that featured a 205GTi running 15" alloys with wheel filling 315mm(ish) discs, the caliper hardly sat out from the disc.

Comment

Max Power, what a blast from the past that is!

Im busy looking at what the best option is, putting a kit together is cheaper but more hassle. Think the easiet option is to move to 18" wheels though, far more choice......

Comment

the AP kits do come up for sale on ebay second hand but normally listed as E36 M3 kits.

Comment

That's what I have been looking for......no joy as yet though!

Anyone have a setup for sale....AP/Brembo/Tarox?!

Comment

Mov'it do a kit which fits under standard rims with spacers (12mm+ I believe)

Comment

I'm considering doing this in near feature and after some reading the best solution for keeping 17" wheels seems:
                          - used porsche 996 4-pot calipers F+R, machining (900€)
                          - rallyroad.net brackets F+R (350€)
                          - standard non-csl e46 m3 discs F+R (600€)
                          - ebc pads F+R (350€)

You need to machine the front calipers to fit 325mm discs, but it is well tried out and documented solution so no experimenting here.

Comment

Originally posted by inside View Post
                            I'm considering doing this in near feature and after some reading the best solution for keeping 17" wheels seems:
                            - used porsche 996 4-pot calipers F+R, machining (900€)
                            - rallyroad.net brackets F+R (350€)
                            - standard non-csl e46 m3 discs F+R (600€)
                            - ebc pads F+R (350€)

You need to machine the front calipers to fit 325mm discs, but it is well tried out and documented solution so no experimenting here.
                            That's one of the options i have been looking at. You also need to factor in that the used calipers will need new seals following a strip and re paint/enamel as they all seem quite tatty. I have also read in a few places that you have to grind some of the spindle down?

Comment

Working...
                            X