rear diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear diffuser

any one got any rear diffusser parts for the coupe???
    cheers

as rare as the rear roof spoilers

Comment

I made my own:

/// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

that looks quite kool , any tips on how you got around making it?

Comment

Originally posted by anees_12@hotmail.co.uk View Post
          that looks quite kool , any tips on how you got around making it?
          What do you want to know?

The part is made from aluminium alloy and Plastic Padding, it bolts onto an aluminium alloy undertray I've made which is bolted on to the underside of the battery housing and the rear end of the tray slips above the rear bumper for support. When fitted, the diffuser is level with the lower edge of the two outer sections of the rear bumper and the width is the same as the central section of the bumper. The diffuser is a more complex shape than the side profile might suggest, because the distance between the silencers is less than the inner section of the bumper. The photo below shows the shape.

I made these parts in 2006, but since then I've taken the project a lot further. I've since modified a pair of silencers so that they have flat undersides (as well as making them "straight through" and fitted other flat panels behind the rear wheels and fitted vertical strakes to the exhausts and panels and onto a butt strut as below.

I don't know whether you want the rear diffuser for its cosmetic appeal or as a genuine aerodynamic part? For a rear diffuser to work properly as a functional part (to increase downforce), it needs a rear wing to act as a "driver". When my MC is travelling on a wet road it produces a big "rooster tail" behind which shows that I'm getting reduced air pressure under the car (i.e. improved downforce). All the bits that I've made can be simply removed from my MC in a matter of minutes and the bodywork has not been drilled to fit anything.
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I was going to gut my exhaust but chickened out worrying about whether it would drone. How does yours sound now?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuesday View Post
              I was going to gut my exhaust but chickened out worrying about whether it would drone. How does yours sound now?
              I've now gutted quite a few silencers and I've found that there are a few essential rules to making them sound right with no droning.
              /// Exdos ///

Comment

Just to add - I'm lucky enough to have a set of Exdos modified rear boxes and they sound absolutey lovely! Not sure compared to standard but they aren't drony at all but give a lovely rumble at low revs...

If Jon is/will modifying rear boxes still then I'd highly recommend anyone to get their's done.

Jon - you thought about doing the airflow mods for anyone else?
                BMW /// M3 Coupe 08, Silverstone II
                ex BMW /// M Coupe 00, Estoril, exdos exhausts , KWV3..

Comment

Originally posted by oo 1005 View Post
                  Jon - you thought about doing the airflow mods for anyone else?
                  +1 interested ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X