Gutted Exhaust S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutted Exhaust S50

Seen this done on lots of e36 and 46 M3's with varied results. With 2nd hand back boxes now only costing about £100 punds I had to give it a go, picked up a set of a member and got hacking.

Started by marking out were I wanted to cut, in order to create a little door for me to get the different tools in.

Cut along the lines with a huge grinder, and then bent the double skin casing back.

Wearing gloves I pulled out the fibre glass, packed in very tight, take a while to remove.

Decided not to fuss around and just take out the lot. Used grinders and hand saws to do the bulk of the cutting but due to having no space I have to resort to cold chiseling the last bits through.

Hours later they both were complete gutted.

Had them welded up and put them on.
    Very happy with the result, best and cheapest mod on the car!
    Great sound really raspy and no drone when cruising.

Little sound clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts0MsxpEkWQ

Nice wheels!

How about a drive with the camera on the passenger seat or something! Might try this for myself at some point as the back boxes are nice and easy to remove and fit to go from a quiet to loud set, especially if you say there is little drone!

I know Exdos has done a few of these but unsure if it's the same thing or he has left some pipework in place.
    Last edited by c_w; 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Nice pics ! This is good info.

Question : The two output pipes coming out from the back, do they have closed ends inside the resonance chamber ? The final camber looks very clean and carbon free ...

If so, then one potential quick mod could be using one of these http://www.kegoutlet.com/15-16-hole-...drill-bit.html (choosin suitable size) attached onto a long rod and drilling it through those closed ends inserting the whole drill setup into the silencer via the output pipes.

I have done this for a few some motorcycle silencers and with a drill saw having the center drill bit in place (and the drill bit being long enough), you have > 95 % change that you can extract the piece of the metal sheet out from the silencer after drilling just by pulling the set up out carefully.

If lucky, this way it will be a 10 min job and will not require removing or opening up the silencers.

Would be interested to hear if somebody has tried this out and how it affected the roar.

- JuhaV
      The older I get, the faster I was ...
      BMW HP2 Sport
      ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

There were some pictures on the forum of what Exdos had done to his oem back boxes but I cannot see them anymore? John have you still got a link to the pictures?

Comment

Love the sound.

How do you get on with the supersprint decat?

Mine gave a pretty noticeable hesitation around 3k, but always wondered if it was just a combo of my other mods that caused it.

Comment

I've been doing this mod to the MC silencers since 2006 and posted quite a lot about on this forum in the past. It is the single-most effective performance mod that you can do, and I say that with lots of datalogging to prove it.

I've also done the same gutting to the OEM silencers on my Z4MC and, again, it gives verysignificant performance increase. I've also further developed my air intake mods and in conjunction with gutted silencers the results are very impressive.
            /// Exdos ///
            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              I know Exdos has done a few of these but unsure if it's the same thing or he has left some pipework in place.
              I've done various configurations but the silencers I've had on my MC for the past 6 years are completely gutted and with flat bottoms which I've incorporated into a rear diffuser design that occupies the full back end. You'll have seen this if you looked underneath when you were at Gaydon a couple of years ago. I've still got my OEM silencers in store and the silencer/diffuser mod simply uses existing fittings and unbolts and can be removed to revert to OEM with absolutely no damage to the car.

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              There were some pictures on the forum of what Exdos had done to his oem back boxes but I cannot see them anymore? John have you still got a link to the pictures?
              A lot of my photos that were linked to my threads "disappeared" but here's a few.

Here are a couple of video clips so you can hear what they sound like inside the car.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_qqogGCRo
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lms43vxfz30
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                I've been doing this mod to the MC silencers since 2006 and posted quite a lot about on this forum in the past. It is the single-most effective performance mod that you can do, and I say that with lots of datalogging to prove it.

I've also done the same gutting to the OEM silencers on my Z4MC and, again, it gives verysignificant performance increase. I've also further developed my air intake mods and in conjunction with gutted silencers the results are very impressive.
                Even with standard map?

I thought it sounded a bit 'tinny' - is there a half way house that might prevent that? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by breezer View Post
                  Even with standard map?

I thought it sounded a bit 'tinny' - is there a half way house that might prevent that? Thanks!
                  The OEM maps can cope with a lot of modding to the air-intake and exhaust systems. I've been datalogging the mods for most of the time I've been messing with the intakes and exhausts and the ECU has been able to cope with everything that I've thrown at it. My Z4MC's ECU yields considerably more information than does the MC, including Air:Fuel ratios, and it doesn't matter what I do, the AFR's just accommodate the increase air flow that my mods create.

My "gutted" silencers are not completely empty: I have some sound deadening in them and, as my videos show, they don't sound tinny at all.
                  /// Exdos ///

Comment

Originally posted by topgeartom View Post
                    Love the sound.

How do you get on with the supersprint decat?

Mine gave a pretty noticeable hesitation around 3k, but always wondered if it was just a combo of my other mods that caused it.
                    Mine seems fine with the de-cat, not noticed any hesitation. Coupled with the gutted cans Iv noticed a much stronger sense of urgency to the lower revs. Not sure if this is just a placebo effect from all the racy sounds and expectation, but seem to have a lot more get up and go.

Will do a inside the car vid soon to give those wondering what it sounds like.

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                      The OEM maps can cope with a lot of modding to the air-intake and exhaust systems. I've been datalogging the mods for most of the time I've been messing with the intakes and exhausts and the ECU has been able to cope with everything that I've thrown at it. My Z4MC's ECU yields considerably more information than does the MC, including Air:Fuel ratios, and it doesn't matter what I do, the AFR's just accommodate the increase air flow that my mods create.

My "gutted" silencers are not completely empty: I have some sound deadening in them and, as my videos show, they don't sound tinny at all.
                      Sweet, many thanks. I'll definitely look into this; I like that it's completely reversible.

Comment

Seems like a simple and effective mod. Is it too tinny or raspy from the inside ? I like a little rasp but wouldn't want to sit on a bee nest :)
                        Can,

'87 M3
                        '95 M3 GT
                        '00 M Coupé
                        '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Another OEM silencer (mild) mod. Worked rather well for me.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=17013&page=2

Comment

I think this is a sensible mod too as the OEM tailpipes just look so right, but without silencer packing it won't sound or perform as good as it could with a little extra work.

At the end of the day, regardless of brand, all the aftermarket silencers are stainless steel outers with straight through perforated baffle cores which are then surrounded by packing material.

Welding in some straight through baffles and then packing the voids with ceramic wool or chopped strand matting would then give you the same specification as the usual supsect aftermarket exhausts for a fraction of the cost.....Absorbtion type silencing that directs most exhaust straight through the silencer with no expansion, so increasing power.
                            Last edited by fok; 23-02-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joao View Post
                              Another OEM silencer (mild) mod. Worked rather well for me.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=17013&page=2
                              I knew there were some pictures somewhere on the forum - thanks for reposting

Comment

Working...
                              X