No announcement yet.

Reversed into a lamp post and seem to have bent or broken a rear bumper mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversed into a lamp post and seem to have bent or broken a rear bumper mount

Think I got off rather lightly but I'm not sure how to fix what I've done....

Was working up in Gateshead a couple of weeks ago and reversed one night at low speed into a lamp post in the hotel car park that I plain didn't see behind me (stupid place to put it but hey ). Given the crunch I was expecting to have wrecked the rear bumper but there's only the tiniest of scratches next to the towing flap which will polish out, but the nearside front edge of the bumper where it meets the wheelarch has been pushed forward by about a centimetre. The rest of the bumper all the way round to that corner is fine and fastened solidly, and even that corner doesn't seem to be loose, just not quite where it's supposed to be

How are the bumpers fixed on?
    www.tracking-shot.com

this should help,

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/58/54

Comment

The rear bumper mounts have a collapsable shock absorber in them,to absorb impact..

Its done its job and collapsed into itself,causing the bumper to become misplaced..

IIRC,they are around £100 from the dealer..

Comment

Thanks guys - from the photos in Dave's link it looks like the shock absorber is up above the exhaust somewhere? From the 8th picture (1048) it looks like I've probably broken these plastic clips as the bumper looks a bit like the photo above that (0682)

Dumb question but what am I looking at in the 3rd photo? Is that taken from underneath? Can't work out the angle
        www.tracking-shot.com

Comment

Just pull firmly on the arch/end of the bumper to see if rights itself!

Comment

Originally posted by twink View Post
            Thanks guys - from the photos in Dave's link it looks like the shock absorber is up above the exhaust somewhere? From the 8th picture (1048) it looks like I've probably broken these plastic clips as the bumper looks a bit like the photo above that (0682)

Dumb question but what am I looking at in the 3rd photo? Is that taken from underneath? Can't work out the angle
            I dont think picture #3 is a M bumper, the shock absorber is shown in the last picture.

Comment

Working...
            X