has anyone done away with there vanos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your right John

losing the vanos might/should put a small hole in the performance lower down but I was just posing the question and curious as to just how much the effect it would be versus eliminating a wear issue.

my vanos is pretty quiet I've been told but in my heart of hearts I can dial into the noise and once I do that it tends to be a fatal mistake and I listen out for it all the time like some paranoid fool.

if the effect or removing is small, Then I personally would be happy to do away with it. I have read about people just disconnecting things but then you really are losing out on performance at the top end.

just thought that the vanos issue seems to reappear often then someone may have put up with a loss lower down but improved things with better cams and vanos removal altogether.

by the lack of response from such perhaps I have my answer already.

Comment

Fixing the vanos isnt the end of the world, I'd forget it until you need to sort a problem - even then in the scheme of things (your car was 40k ish new) it's not a big issue.

Messing with your engine might cost you more

Comment

Originally posted by ever88 View Post
        I'm not disputing the repair method but are now confused a little on a couple of points perhaps you could clarify.

The noise/ rattle has not been attributed to anything in your reply i.e is it the worn gears etc and secondly, if you machine a worn gear by taking material off then how is it that will improve tolerances? taking material off increases tolerences surely.

by machining the gear you must also be deteriorating the surface hardness treatment that you praise BMW for obtaining also.

Can you clarify these points CG 731 please?
        To clarify, the machine work is NOT on the gears themselves, but on the internal bearing assembly, which itself has loose tolerances. Yes, I realize it does not make sense to machine material away and end up with a tighter tolerance, but without giving away proprietary information, the bearing assembly tolerance can in fact be reduced by some basic machining. You just have to think outside the box a little.

This directly affects the rattling noise, and can reduce it considerably.
        I use this procedure on all of our vanos units (close to 400 now) with repeatable results, so while I understand your concern, I assure you it is not something I just made up.

Again, the hardened gears are not modified in any way, only the bearings inside. I have reworded my previous post slightly to clarify this.

Comment

Chris, thanks very much for the info

Comment

Originally posted by CG_731 View Post
            Yes, I realize it does not make sense to machine material away and end up with a tighter tolerance, but without giving away proprietary information, the bearing assembly tolerance can in fact be reduced by some basic machining. You just have to think outside the box a little.
            Exactly. Just machine out a larger hole and then fit a new "core" into the larger hole which has much tighter tolerances. Simple!
            /// Exdos ///
            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Very old post but saw this picture with vanos removed,

Comment

Comment

Why?

Accelerated engine wear without a filter too.
                  /// Exdos ///
                  "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Working...
                  X