No announcement yet.

Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I see your car at Dmworx a couple of weeks ago?

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Nope that wasn't me!

In other news, my C110 scanner tool turned up yesterday - a quick scan to uncover the ABS light issue seems to suggest the NSF wheel speed sensor has failed (though it also has an implausible stored code for the OSF). So have picked up a new NSF sensor today and it's booked in at a local garage for Monday to have this swapped over - hopefully will sort the fault.

Though taking it to Portsmouth first for paint protection film to be applied!
      Last edited by 137699; 20-08-2020, 01:23 PM.
      ----------------
      David
      1999 M Coupe (S50)
      >>Read my journal here<<
      2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
      2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

PPF done this morning by Chipguard in Waterlooville (nr Portsmouth).

Lovely job - originally booked to have the front bumper done, but while there elected to get the flippers done, the headlamps polished & done, rear arch front faces done & also the bluff front of the bonnet.

Some photos of the work in progress & finished result - though it's virtually impossible to see!

Stopped off at Costco on the way home for a bit of shopping and a brimmed tank of Super Unleaded.

Just got to get the NSF wheel speed sensor replaced on Monday to hopefully sort the ABS light out and then it's all ready for it's proper first shakedown run - off to Northumberland for bank-holiday weekend to meet up with some of my Scottish friends for a couple of days of blatting about!
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

looking very, very good!
          I need to spend a little time and love on my mine... following your improvements closely!
          The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
          RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

NSF wheel speed sensor replaced - ABS light gone out now so hopefully that's that little hiccup solved!

All set for a weekend hooning around Northumberland now - fingers crossed it behaves itself & isn't too wet up there!
            ----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

So with the end of summer drawing ever closer, and having no garage I thought it useful to prepare a cover for the winter months. I already had a universal car cover, but this genuine BMW one came up on ebay and it was too good an opportunity to miss...

----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Status update - everything that was "on the list" on the first post of the journal has now been addressed - and some!

But of course things don't stop there... so time for list #2....
                - Sort the A/C (the regas lasted a few weeks but leaked out again)
                - Oil change on gearbox & diff
                - Source some rear mud flaps
                - Powder-coat / re-paint the rocker cover (black is flaking off at the back)
                - Replace the fuel tank straps - have bought new ones from the guy on ZOrg...
                - Possibly repaint the speaker grills - if I can bring myself to fight with taking off/refitting the door cards again

Won't be long before I retire it for the winter so most/all of that will have to wait until 2021 I guess!
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Good read

It does seem like winter is on the way; the nights seem to really be drawing in quickly
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Haven't done anything to the MC for a few weeks - just the occasional run out to keep everything running nicely.

But as soon as I get a few mins and some decent weather, these little goodies will be added....

Rear flaps to match the fronts already on the car & thanks to Rags for the spacers which will also go on the rear.
                    ----------------
                    David
                    1999 M Coupe (S50)
                    >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• The rear flaps are on and a nice fit:

The spacers I decided against after trial fitting. They were 20mm spacers and on fitting it was clear the wheels were going to protrude beyond the arch. Also though the spacers were 20mm, the supplied bolts were only 10mm longer than standard bolts - so on tightening they were barely sitting in the threads and there was evidence of thread stripping on a couple of bolts (they wouldn't tighten) so decided the spacers are not for me and have listed them on ebay.

But the pedals I ordered showed up so I fitted them instead:

They look really good and feel nice in use!
                      ----------------
                      David
                      1999 M Coupe (S50)
                      >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Quick update - not used the car much since around Oct - most of that time it's sat under the cover not moving.

But as I picked up this metal bonnet pull handle from another member, seemed rude not to fit it:

Aside from this, I have actually swapped the phone holder from the "upper" Brodit mount to the "mid" Brodit mount. Actually swapped with a Z3 owning friend who found his mid one got in the way when changing gear (due to the bulky holder he used) whereas for me it sits at a better angle to point the phone toward the driver.

Took her out for a spin this weekend - despite weeks of not moving, she fired into life first time without any hesitation and ran beautifully.

Will need to be washed & underbody jetwashed now as too much salt on the road, then cover back on until MOT in a few weeks!
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Tomorrow the MC heads off to Lee's ZedShed for one of his underside rebulids.
                          I'll be asking him to powdercoat the rocker cover as well as see if he can find & attend to the minor oil weep that's emanating somewhere near the gearbox.

But at the same time, it will be getting a few upgrades.... in the photo:

- Remus exhaust
                          - Hartge diffuse
                          - Tank Straps
                          - Springs (will be powdercoated)
                          - Diff hanger (if needed)

I'm sure this will be the tip of the iceberg for parts - no doubt there will be pipework, fittings and a million & one other things that will creep in once it starts coming apart.

Lee will start a ZedShed thread on the zroadster.org site but I'll try to keep my own journal up to date as it progresses.... exciting times!
                          ----------------
                          David
                          1999 M Coupe (S50)
                          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• First update from the Lee @ ZedShed...

With Millers M coming to an end it was time to collect a celebrity in the M world, a stunning Estoril Blue Z3M Coupe with plenty of Ac and Hamman bits. On my drive home which was only 20mins it was very clear the rear beam bushes were gone, I could feel a subtle clunk on bumps through the seat, also she just felt loose overall.

Owner: @137699

Today seems to be an M kinda day. Another M popping in to get an idea of what we do and book in for some work.

We did a few more jobs on Millers M before moving her outside. Then it was time to move Daves coupe in and see what we’re up against next week.

I remember years ago when I had my M seeing the coupe guys modding their lights with these projector kits.

stunning interior with some nice touches.

I love this mod, tyre indicator system powered from the cig lighter.

on each wheel label.

we also have a rear lower diffuser to fit, these really finish the rear.

Wheels are in the best colour combo, I think this colour came on the S54 as standard. We also noticed the rear tyres are down to the 1.3mm mark so could do with a fresh pair soon.

Now the wheels are off we can see what to expect next week. Some light corrosion, relatively new rear shocks. Can see the roll bar is an upgrade, maybe a HnR under the dirt ?

Passnger side marginally better.

the most crucial part to the trailing arms looks in good health, we’ve started calling it the gooch area

I can’t foresee any issues with the rear. The front on the other hand looks very tired.

will need to measure the disks as I can feel quite a large lip.

these brake lines will need to be cut off. Not a chance in hell of these undoing.

All in a days work in the shed look forward to making a start Monday.
                            ----------------
                            David
                            1999 M Coupe (S50)
                            >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Next update from Lee:

Day 1 of Daves build went really well. Nothing really gave me too much trouble. I thought I would break myself in gently and started to remove all the front end.

All the main hardware came off without too much fuss.

love these top mount covers.

With the front end stripped it was time to break everything down to component form. See what’s got any life left and see what’s being binned.... safe to say Dave got his money’s worth.

Drivers side, brake lines both have blanks on them for the time being. Will swap these out later

First to strip are the knuckles or hubs as some people call them. Big boy nugga needed to remove the nut.

Least the front wheel bearing slide off, or at least should. Stripped ready for powder coat

Other side gave me a bit of bother. The rear bearing race didn’t want to leave.

Once they were split it was the shocks next.

First one loaded. These are in a right state.

collapsed top mount.
                              Z3M Coupe failed top mount

Z3M build failed top mounts on a 70k car.
                              youtube.com
                              Both sides were like this, bearings were so dry I’m not surprised.

Was there any life in the shocks I hear you ask
                              Z3M Coupe Original 70k shock

Zedshed build Z3M Coupe
                              youtube.com
                              Made me chuckle, going by the sticker on the shock these are the originals from factory.

I also think the front drop links are too long, they should be a few inches shorter, these old ones measured a whooping 9” (-steady boys ) I’m pretty sure with the HnR roll bar they should be shorter, these held the roll bar at a strange angle pointing downwards, will check this.

so now I have a nice big pile of bits ready for coating. I better get ordering the front end bits. I’ll wait till I’ve got the rear end out and do one big drop off to the coaters.

we’ve got quite a bit of new hardware to order.

tomorrow the rear end tear down starts.
                              ----------------
                              David
                              1999 M Coupe (S50)
                              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

• Another update from the ZedShed - I popped in to see how things were going today, just as the rear subframe was being lowered...

Nice big juicy update. I always say now we’ve worked on so many zeds when we disassemble they tell us a story and this coupe didn’t disappoint, what’s more reassuring is it ties in with what Dave knows about the car.

Now the front is apart we turned our attention to the rear. With the arch liners off we can see the the condition of the beam bushes. One side was sat higher and one side was sat on the plate...odd

This is drivers side and turns out has been replaced in the past, why not replace both beam bushes...

Now the passenger side. In a right state de laminating and sat on the plate.

Drivers side arm had been replaced and it’s clear by the number a breaker had written on it.

with the exhausts out you can see so much.

someone did a temp repair on the handbrake cables. Hiding a split under some tape. Quite common.

Moving on, I only had a little trouble with the side bolts holding the beam plates. Within 2 hours the subframe was out.

Now it’s out we can begin the strip down.

removing old bushes. These were both unbranded bushes so have been changed at some point at different times. The passenger side core nearly fell out.

Next up was a strip down of each arm, we remove everything so it can be grit blasted and powder coated.

Bearing extraction, also clear both sides have been removed before. The criss cross pattern on the bearing casing gives this away.

main three items ready for coating. All looking in good condition.

We next inspected the drive shafts. The drivers side had been replaced but with an older shaft that had clearly had a tough life. God knows how the rubbers twist.

both ends had holes in, were surprised it didn’t spray grease everwhere.

we’ll need to order a gator rebuild kit, we keep non M gators in stock so you can at least see what they look like.

We also removed the old fuel tank straps. Looking tired but still intact.

So this leaves the back end completely bare. She’ll get a good clean up and under-sealing on the seams.

As I said before you can see it’s life history if you look close. I hear these coupes can pull their roll bar mounts off and it looked like Mr pigeon paid a visit to repair.

Diff hanger looking ok. Will check the boot floor at some point.

Another little job I did was check the front discs. They had quite a large lip. If you look closely on the hub it gives a minimum thickness of 26.4mm we only have 1mm left not great for spirited driving as they don’t dissipate heat well.

----------------
                                David
                                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Working...
                                X