Inclination sensor water ingress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inclination sensor water ingress

I've been having problems with the alarm going off randomly; first thought was the bonnet sensor, replaced that, but false alarms continued.

Explored under the boot floor and discovered that the inclination sensor (situated in the well behind the nearside rear wheel) was sitting in six inches of water.

It's had it, connector corroded away, pins broken. I will have to splice in a new connector, as well as replacing the sensor.

What I can't understand is how so much water has got in there. Everything around it is dry, not a drop on the floor, or the adjacent tool compartment.

I know on the roadsters water can enter through the aerial grommet, but that is located elsewhere on the coupe.

So can anyone suggest where the leak is coming from? I don't want to replace the sensor only to have it flood again.

Thanks!
    2002 S54 Estoril Blue
    BMW 640i Gran Turismo
    1964 Gordon Keeble

Worth looking at any seal like the sunroof and door seals? I don't think Coupes are known for being leaky in general

Comment

I’d take a guess that the right rear light has been out at some point and refitted with the seal not seated properly. Probably worth gently hosing some water in the area and looking for drips under the rear light.
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Sorry I was thinking its the sensor under the carpet/seat, as Ian says look at the rear light gasket/s and also the boot seal?

Comment

Not sure if it applies to all Coupes but there is a small wiring harness listed for the sensor, 65758380747

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...0747&series=Z3

Last edited by Dave P; 17-02-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            Not sure if it applies to all Coupes but there is a small wiring harness listed for the sensor, 65758380747

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...0747&series=Z3

Loads in Germany stock - £13 each

Comment

Working...
            X