Lower it, or bigger rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower it, or bigger rims

I'm intending to do a little bit of aesthetic work on the car this year, and I can't decide whether to lower it or go for bigger wheels.
    Clueless on the topic, so for starters, I have B6's on, which I have no intention of changing.

I only really want a 20mm drop, and suspect even with that you'd need some spacers to keep it looking right.
    So that seems pretty straightforward, I just need to get some springs.

This look is what I want:
    https://img.pistonheads.com/LargeSiz...S3989783-2.jpg

Or, if I'm feeling flush...

A set of 18's - style tbd.
    If I took that route, you'd get a lower profile tyre, which in turn would end up not really filling the arches out any more - is that right? Do you still need to lower if you get bigger wheels to get the look I'm after (which is that 20mm max drop)?
    This looks the same gap as standard, but the wheels are 19's I think so what's going on here?

https://farm66.static.flickr.com/655...a7968157_b.jpg

Any education greatly received.
    Last edited by Seca Blue; 16-02-2020, 09:19 PM.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

I’ve got 30mm H&r springs and 10mm spacers all round. Looks similar to what your after
    Attached Files

Comment

Could you mail me a bigger picture when you get a mo please?

Comment

No probs PM me your email

Comment

David,

To try to fill the gap by going bigger on wheels / tyres you'd create other problems such as gearing changes, speedo accuracy, and rubbing etc. It wouldn't look right and it's really not the right way to go IMO.

If you do it properly with bigger wheels, the rolling circumference will remain similar as you use lower profile tyres. It won't fill the arches this way, you just have more wheel and less tyre if that makes sense.

To get the look it's all about the suspension. Just lower the car, using springs, to the level you feel comfortable with.
          Last edited by fok; 17-02-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I think these are 18"? ( Is Pete Cossie about to punch Martin B in this picture???)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              I think these are 18"? ( Is Pete Cossie about to punch Martin B in this picture???)
              I think that court case is still ongoing Dave, so it maybe best we don't discuss it publicly on the forum
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

18s can look just right one the car, but be careful of wheel choice. IMO just looking at that photo, take a look at the stock-wheeled black Coupe on the left, vs the rear wheel on the green car. The classic deep dish and instantly recognisable aggressive look is gone.

Comment

Rest assured that deep dish would only be replaced with deep or deeper...

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts all.

In case it's relevant to anyone, I spoke to Bilstein about using shorter springs with the B6's and they said up to 20mm would be fine, beyond that you'd need B8's. The last bit I knew, but wanted to know what the scope was with the B6's.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                      Thanks for the thoughts all.

In case it's relevant to anyone, I spoke to Bilstein about using shorter springs with the B6's and they said up to 20mm would be fine, beyond that you'd need B8's. The last bit I knew, but wanted to know what the scope was with the B6's.
                      Did you ask the opposite, ie, are the B8s ok with stock springs? As the droop on them is pretty long so I reckon they would personally, so give you the option to run lowering springs in the future. I would say bottoming out a damper (ie full length dampers on lowering springs) is more likely/worse than running out of damper length.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        Did you ask the opposite, ie, are the B8s ok with stock springs? As the droop on them is pretty long so I reckon they would personally, so give you the option to run lowering springs in the future. I would say bottoming out a damper (ie full length dampers on lowering springs) is more likely/worse than running out of damper length.
                        You know, I nearly did - I've that exact question typed in a mail to them now.

I really can't be doing with changing the B6's though - they've only done about 2k.

Update - for non M cars no, standard springs shouldn't be used, but as the M is considered lowered already, stock springs on the B8's should be fine.

That's just word for word from Bilstein.
                        Last edited by Seca Blue; 20-02-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X