Turret crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turret crack

It appears that the short unintended off-road stint for my car resulted in what is essentially cosmetic damage to be repaired within the numbers acceptable to the insurers.

However, the estimator let me look around the car today whilst he went over his findings and noted his engineer has issues with running a suspension geometry check because the front right turret has a small cm long crack in it. His suggestion is that the use of ACS suspension parts without a front strut bar reinforcing above may have caused it over time.

Now I'm embarrassed to note that I'd missed this when buying the car. There's a degree of rust along the crack and it clearly predates my purchase. He seemed surprised that it passed a BMW AUC check - but I can't find specifics on the 100 + point check that would cover (and I'm guessing BMW warranty folks will have small print to cover it as wear and tear/buyer beware)

The whole wheel-housing element can be replaced at a cost of of £1400 which obviously they're happy to do for me ;-)

Could use some second opinions though.. does it need doing sooner now or can I get it done later?

Is a weld fix not a good idea as estimator indicated?

I've decided in light of the "lethal in wet" and recent experience thread I'll be looking at going on the track to push the handling a little so it may see a few track days when I get it back. A strut bar seems to be a recommended handling improvement.

Would a strut bar on top of the wheel-housings in its current state hinder it developing a problem or actually aggrevate it.

Cheers

ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Looks like an unusual position to see a crack IMO, and I wouldn't blame the ACS stuff particularly.

A strut brace (or even just the strut end plates!) would help tie the three points of the turret together and probably help prevent it growing. May aswell get it welded though; grind it smooth and paint it.

Comment

I don't think it will be due to the ACS Stuff, its BMW approved after all.
      Ex 2001 S54
      New cars:
      Lotus Carlton
      350Z

Comment

yadi

id take the strut out and weld it a competant engineer will be able to cut out the crack, prep it and weld it no problem a good weld will be stronger than the origional metal

imo the acs would not cause this problem other wise they would not sell them seperatley
        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
          I don't think it will be due to the ACS Stuff, its BMW approved after all.
          Not anymore!!

Oh I'd drill the end of the crack and weld it up. Surely replacing the whole turret is overkill.
          Last edited by Muppetman; 16-07-2009, 07:28 PM.
          Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

Comment

Totally second that replacing turret is overkill.

I had a similar smaller crack at the bolt hole on m3, got it from previous owner (afterwards I heard he hit the curb). I had it welded and didn't crack again, only the paint did start to chip at weld spot because of the bolts holding shocks.

Comment

Working...
            X